An interesting review & points at Rumconnection: Caroni

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
JaRiMi
Admiral

An interesting review & points at Rumconnection: Caroni

Post by JaRiMi »

Scouring the internet for Caroni rum details, I happened to see this rum review of a Caroni Single cask rum bottled by UK indy-bottler A.D. Rattray one day:

Link to Rum Connection Review

The review is well made and detailed, although the Caroni history part is a bit lacking (understandably, it isn't the easiest topic to reseach, nor is it the main point when reviewing a product from the distillery).

A few things did strike me in this review: These points clearly reflect the writers' own personal preferences, but they do come accross as quite strong viewpoints.

As the rum is a single cask and bottled at 46% abv, the writer (correctly) assumes that the rum is not heavily filtered, and is without additional sugar or other additives (most likely). But this is an issue he highlights as "a weakness", because the rum taste is "too dry", and lacking the lovely additives. Interesting.

I do of course disagree strongly with this viewpoint (that additives and huge amount of sweet, added sugar (why not aspartame?) make a rum immediately better, but c'est la vie, we all have our own views on the matter.

I do find it a bit presumptious of the writer to state that "rummies like their libations sweeter, as a rule". Ahem - No. I do not. Most of the "rummies" I know do not.

In most case, many "rum-lovers" aren't even aware of the fact that their favorite Rum "generacion 28 de Isla Bacanal" is actually heavily filtered and laden with additives to make the damn ting anonymous, brown sugar-spirit for the masses to go all crazy about.

Thank God for A.D. Rattray - and a host of other indy-bottlers (and a few others) who still offer real rum to the world. If rum was all just El Z-word rums or Pirate Xo-Sugarjuices, I'd stop drinking rum all together - immediately.

I think it is quite evident that many rum reviewers themselves lack knowledge, experience and understanding of rum as a substance: Perhaps not as a product, or as a marketable item - but as a natural substance. And this shows in the reviews (not just this one).

Another thing that really caught my eye was the reference to a low price (thank you A.D. Rattray for keeping the price reasonable) in comparison to some "super-commercial" limited editions, which, quite frankly, price themselves blatantly over the top. How can a sensible price be seen as suspicious or negative, especially when the age statement in A.D. rattray's case is DEFINITELY 100% true, and based on cask age - whereas the other hyper-premium products, well...may be whatever age in fact?

In conclusion, I wish more reviewers would really take the time to sample real rum, i.e. from the cask - and then think also: Is it really so fantastic that the product is made completely different (read: in my view spoiled) by additives, while still claiming that the rum is super-premium "rum"?

Eons ago one of my very favorite rum was English Harbour Extra old. It was very dry, oaky, not unlike a well-aged whisky in some sense, but with a distinguished rum character. Years later I bought it - what a disappointment, it had been ruined with tons of added sugar! Blasted.

I await in fear to see the first rum sweetened with aspartame, aimed at satisfying the sweet tooth of the US market in particular.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Bravo!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thank you for yet another great post...

If there is anyone who knows his rum, it's JaRiMi. Do read the review he linked (by "Lance" of Liquorature), as it exemplifies our mutual rum dilemma, namely that so many "rums" have been so altered for so long that even an alleged reviewer finds fault with - gulp! - purity!

Spare me.

When a spirit is criticised because it is pure, unfiltered, unaltered and at cask strength - and is of an honest 13 years of oak aging, and is sold at a fair price - then we are in big, big trouble.

I mean big. Big. BIG!

Is it any wonder that there are so few "rum" websites (almost all commercial)? Is it any wonder that there is such a dearth of activity and postings regarding our beloved spirit? Not at all. Compare to whisky, wine or beer where there are literally hundreds of very active web sites and untold thousands of posts. These are noble and traditional spirits and alcoholic beverages as is abundantly evident by books, seminars and the internet.

Rum is close to invisible in comparison. Sad really. If you are reading this, consider yourself part of the solution: to promote honesty and labeling and the promotion of unaltered, unfiltered, uncolored and pure rums, honestly aged and cask strength.

To our health!