Rum: the Ignoble spirit

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rum: the Ignoble spirit

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Let's ask Mr. Google...

The Preacher loves to believe in "...the noble spirit, rum". And I've said that's little more than a wet spot on his robe. He says "noble", I say "rogue". But hey, I'm a Compleat Idiot (patent pending) so you'd be an idiot to believe me.

Let's ask Mr. Google:

Searching on "xxx website", I got:

1. Wine: 327,000 hits
2. Beer: 96,000
3. Whisk(e)y: 21,430
4. Vodka: 19,000
5. Gin: 14,500
6. Tequila: 13,500

And - rim shot - dead last is, of course...

7. Rum: 8,720

Pretty bad, eh? Actually it's way, way worse than that. There are literally thousands of websites for what most afficianados consider the true noble spirits (wine and whisky). As for rum you can almost count the dedicated websites on your own hands: eg. the Shillery, Burr, the Bilgemunky, Count Silvio, Chris Carlsson, RnD, the Dood, Scottes the Woofboy and of course Moi.

And even that gets worse! How so?

Of these only 2 are really active (my buddy the Preacher Rep and of course, me). The rest are commercial or commercial wannabees who have posted their reviews and have pretty much run out of steam. And The Rum Project is the only truly non-commercial and completely independent rum-dedicated website on the net. No commercials, no freebies, no blowjobs on Miami Beach.

That is really, really sad. I might have actually enjoyed the blowjob.

The truth is, I don't wanna be alone. I really do want rum to be recognized as an honestly noble spirt, not just a horseshit claim. I want rums to labeled honestly and for all additives, flavorings, and adulterants to be identified. I want all reviewers to be honest and out those rums that aren't pure and unadulterated. I'd like rum to be bottled at cask strength, free from additives and coloring and unfiltered.

How is this going to happen?

It's really pretty simple. Read the Rum Project, learn to trust your own tastebuds. Identify the relatively few fine and pure rums and learn their style and profile well. When you experience a "rum" that tastes altered or sweetened, say so and say so loudly.

Believe me, this works.

It was not all that long ago that Pyrat XO was accepted as a "fine rum". Current thinking: you'll gag on the orange flavoring and added sugar. Zacapa 23 was for some years considered the "world's unchallenged best rum". Today, most afficianados accept that it is more a rum liqueur than a pure rum. Same for Zaya. And how did this happen?

It didn't take much.

Just a handful of honest contrarians who were willing to put up with a bit of monkey chattering and minor namecalling, and who stood their ground. It was not long before the herd followed their lead and the prevailing wisdom changed.

Do it.