Animal Lovers Dept: Saving the Artic Wolf

This is the main discussion section. Grab yer cups! All hands on deck!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Animal Lovers Dept: Saving the Artic Wolf

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sharks and wolves face extinction...

I hate to act like a flaming liberal, but I am and proud of it. I'll do anything to help preserve a failing species, in this case the Artic Wolf. Of course I ask nothing save a nice private "thank you" - more than sufficient.

Recently our frozen Canadian friend posted a link to the Sherbrooke "Drink Like a Pirate" rum "fest". Although I really didn't like the name, as it tends to promote pirate style, drink-til-you-drop imbibing (think Port Royal), this event was for a very good cause - kids in need.

Now it goes without saying that the Furry One probably has little love lost for The Rum Project and our fair and balanced critiques and reviewer's reviews in particular, but I'm the kinda guy who is willing to overlook a little lover's spat for a good cause.

Helping kids means a lot to me. So here's what I did. The Wolf had posted Sherbrookes ad poster for the event, but in such a way that it was very hard to read. He'd made the common mistake of trying to squeeze a larger (and readable) pic into a much smaller space, something that html doesn't do well. Otherwise good pics lose focus, and frankly, look shitty.

(Sherbrooke's fuzzy poster at the Wolfden)

To be fair, most of the Frozen One's pics are nice and crisp, but not this time, not for this worthy event. And my improved version...

(The new and improved Capn Jimbo version)

You be the judge. This redone version is clear and readable, and would really benefit the event and the kids.

As an experienced webmaster, inserting crisp, quality pics is essential - thus most know exactly how to do this. In addition I have learned to tweak pics for color, intensity, balance, gamma and the like - so I took the time to fix his mistake and send him some properly prepared pics that would look good and vibrant, and read well at his wolf den site.

Most importantly - and knowing his hatred of all things Jimbo - I gave him permission to use the reworked pic, without giving me any credit whatsoever. For the kids, I said.

But the Wolfman seems nothing if not spiteful and apparently could not lower himself to accepting my largesse, regardless of the good and worthy cause. He'd rather post an ineffective poster than take any gift from my completely idiotic and evil hands.

But That's Not All!

In like spirit - and again, for the kids - I posted a link to the event, giving the time, place, event, contact information and a link to the Sherbrooke sponsors. Oddly enough, Wolfie followed suit within a day or so, to post his own link, something else he should have done already.

You see he reads The Rum Project regularly if my IP tracker is correct.

But still, pride apparently prevented him using the improved poster pic. So after the event was over, I decided to privately slap his hand. In this email I also noted three silly typos on his latest freebie reviews...
Moi: In the Appleton Reserve tease you wrote...

"The higher level of complexity arises because the Reserve uses a lager number of rums to in its blend". "Lager" should be larger.

In your Jura tease you posted...

"The Isle of Jura is just seven lies wide and 30 miles long." Seven "lies" wide - funny - should of course be seven miles.

Hope that helps, and a private email "thanks" might be big of you."
I added one more "...because theses rums used in the blend are aged for a longer period of time", where "theses rums" should of course be "these" rums. Minor but hey, why not? I asked for no public credit, and stated I was just trying to help him look more professional.

All I asked? Simply a private, non-public simple "thanks" by email.

The Result:

Within minutes the Wolfmeister corrected all three typos. Wanta guess whether I got a private "thanks"? Wolfie - and I'm talking to you - you should be ashamed. The kids deserved better, and though you've made it quite clear you don't like me, it's not all that hard to accept some private, no-credit help if all it takes is a simple, private "thank you".

Try it sometime... honestly, it won't hurt. And if I can help make you and your site better, I won't hesitate to do so. You're actually quite likeable...