Mixed drink in a bottle Dept: Canadian Club Spiced?!

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Mixed drink in a bottle Dept: Canadian Club Spiced?!

Post by Capn Jimbo »

What is it with Canadian quasi-whiskies?

It was long ago established that Canadian "whiskey" is really a blend of vodka-like CWS (Canadian whiskey spirit), which is distilled to within a hair of vodka or GNS (grain neutral spirit). By hairsbreadth I mean 94.8%, just short of 95% GNS. For all practical purposes Canadian "whiskey" is a mixture of vodka and what they call "flavouring whiskies" which are actual and flavorful whiskies added to the mix, along with up 9.9% of anything - I mean anything else - including wine for flavor.

At least the Canadian regulations are honest about their Canadian - mixed drink in a bottle - "whiskies". But as is happening everywhere, the distillers aren't satisfied with these legally hidden and unlabeled flavorings...

A race to the bottom...

What's next? Oh yes, what all real whisky drinkers clamor for: Blackberry Whiskey. Or Spiced Whiskey. Of course. What a fackin nightmare! I recently noted that Canadian Clubs next push is to capture young adults and whiskey. No, not by real and honest marketing and promotions, but by...

Weird flavors, now openly labeled. Listen to the Brand Ambassador frm Canadian Club...
“C.C.’s new innovations will take the brand to the next level both for consumers new to whisky and more seasoned whisky drinkers who are seeking bolder flavour profiles and some spice. “
Or per their owner, Beam (regarding CC's new "Dock 57" flavored "whiskies":
“… is poised to capitalize on recent growth trends in ready-to-drink and flavoured spirits that are giving Canadian whisky a boost and helping to open the door to new consumers – namely younger adults and women …”
(Credit to the Artic Wolf)

Flat Ass Bottom Line

It is estimated that over 30% of rum sales - and growing - is represented by openly spiced and flavored rums. Few if any use flavors from real fruit. Apparently the major Canadian distiller CC feels that berry flavored whiskies are the next big thing. Two observations:

1. Rum has a history of both labeled and unlabeled alterations and flavorings. Except for the Canadian version, whiskys have been quite the opposite and relatively pure and real.

2. Even the Canadians refuse to acknowledge unlabeled flavorings, or the preponderance of what they euphemistically call CWS. They want you believe it's all real and flavorful whisky properly distilled.

Thus even Canadian Club is asking drinkers naive to whisky to now accept it because it's full of good old blueberry natural and artificial flavors. Oops, sorry...

Blackberry. Can't wait...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Black-fackin-berry?! Yeah, I'm wondering too...

Here's a couple of independent impressions from people who actually like spiced rums or Canadian whiskies...
"I really wanted to like it, but I’ve found the flavour profile to be more on the sugary, syrupy side of the alco-pop market not leaving much room for subtelty, unabashedly geared more towards female newcomers to the liquor store aisles (as stated in the press release) “The brand is poised to capitalize on recent growth trends in ready-to-drink and flavoured spirits that are giving Canadian whisky a boost and helping to open the door to new consumers – namely younger adults and women – while bartenders are also coming to value flavoured spirits for cocktails.“
(Credit: http://www.shipwrckd.com/2012/04/canadian-club-dock-57/)

Or by a taster at CanadianWhisky.org:
"I’m trying to deal with this whiskey since I’m usually down with Canadian Club, but the sweetness is overwhelming. I feel like I oughta be drizzling it on a pancake ..."
Enough said. Am I surprised? Are you?