WhiskyDrinking

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Dai
Minor God

WhiskyDrinking

Post by Dai »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w7rb3UpB9A

Some alternatives to drinking whisky from Ralfy. These could also be applied to rum. Might just try this with Ron Mulata and a touch of Appleton 12 year old.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

How I love Ralfy...

Thanks for the link.

Ralfy is truly the real deal: honest, educational, experienced, unassuming and on the side of the comman man and women who wish to understand and appreciate pure and unadulterated spirits.

He has no equal, and this clip is a very good one, not to be missed...
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

I like his idea of "magnifying" the flavor of a spirit by adding it to something that is more or less neutral. This idea is used as a way of tasting bitters by adding a small amount to some vodka, and I have tried it a few times in the past with different spirits.

Tonight I hit on one that worked out well - St Elizabeth Allspice Dram (also called Pimento dram). This is a very intense spiced liqueur that is difficult to drink alone - but I added a teaspoon or so to a couple ounces of Doorly's 5 yr, and it turned out very nice. Since the rum has a fairly subtle flavor, the allspice was quite dominant even in a small ratio, and it was reduced in intensity enough to make it quite pleasant.