Ralfy Dept: Irish whisky and a good ramble...

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Ralfy Dept: Irish whisky and a good ramble...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

When Ralfy speaks, we all need to listen...

Of late we've spoken yet again of the current happenings of spirits. And on another post I managed - heaven help me - to actually mention Tullamore Dew and not necessarily in a bad way. And as happens and as I write, it's not uncommon for moi to do a bit of research just to be sure I've not stepped off of yet another cliff. In this case...

I ducked (DuckDuckGo) "Review Tullamore Dew" and voila! Ralfy appeared: here. This is quite an unusual Ralfy - perhaps a bit snockered, a bit maudlin and very rambling - but in a very good way. In this way Ralfy comments on:

1. Irish Whiskey, particularly Jamesons, Bushmills and Tullamore Dew

2. The effect of the megaconglomerates, and the current economy

3. American tastes in spirits

4. Craft distilling in America as related to a possible resurgence of Irish Whiskey - but made in America.

Ralfy's guard is clearly down and he speaks a bit more forthrightly than usual.

A must see...
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Interesting video.

Firstly, I had no idea about the dire situation for Irish whisky.

Secondly, his two points about America would suggest a contradiction, but once again Ralfy's insight prevails - with this being such a gigantic country, there exists a taste and a market for everything, even if it's in the underground. We've already started to see American-produced single malts (and for that matter, rums), and although I think they still have a bit of a way to go, it's only a matter of time until they're considered on the same calibre as the best American craft beer is.

That said I don't know "Irish" it could be - the various American Scotch-style malt whiskies I've had don't taste like any Scotch I've come across...
bearmark
Beermeister

Check out Balcones 1 Texas Single Malt

Post by bearmark »

Hassouni wrote:Interesting video.

Firstly, I had no idea about the dire situation for Irish whisky.

Secondly, his two points about America would suggest a contradiction, but once again Ralfy's insight prevails - with this being such a gigantic country, there exists a taste and a market for everything, even if it's in the underground. We've already started to see American-produced single malts (and for that matter, rums), and although I think they still have a bit of a way to go, it's only a matter of time until they're considered on the same calibre as the best American craft beer is.

That said I don't know "Irish" it could be - the various American Scotch-style malt whiskies I've had don't taste like any Scotch I've come across...
The only American single malt that I've had that challenges any Scotch whisky I've had is Balcones 1 Texas Single Malt. It's fantastic and has a taste like some of the sherry finished highland single malts that I've tried. It's like a cask strength Balvenie Doublewood, MacAllan sherry-finish or Glenfarclas in style and not like a full sherry cask aging of a Glendronach. At about $55-$60, I can highly recommend it. In my opinion, it's much better than MacAllan 12 CS and a good alternative to Aberlour A'Bunadh as well at $10 less.

I do have other bottles of American single malts that I haven't yet opened, so I can't comment on those: McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt and Wasmund's Single Malt (Virginia). Perhaps I should move them up on my list in order to compare them for this purpose.

As far as an American whiskey that's like an Irish whiskey, I've not encountered any. About the closest thing I've found is St. George Single Malt (about $60-70) that has a lighter and more floral taste than any Scotch I've tried. I find Irish whiskey to be a bit lighter with a hint of florals in some, but St. George is very floral and fruity... at least the Lot 12 that I have is. In some ways, it's actually more interesting than some of the Irish whiskey I've had (Redbreast 12, Jameson 12, Jameson Gold Reserve); however, I personally prefer the Jameson 12.

For me, Irish whiskey is far less interesting than Scotch whisky. I would greatly lament the demise of Scotch whisky, but I'll help out the Irish whiskey cause because it shouldn't be endangered. It would be a loss that the spirits world would be damaged by in the long term and is an important part of whiskey heritage that we should strive to save (my understanding is that Irish whiskey predates Scotch whisky).
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)