Rich Friends Dept: Lagavulin 16 and Johnny Blue?

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Rich Friends Dept: Lagavulin 16 and Johnny Blue?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Just another day in Paradise...

Being rich is a burden? What's that?! Yes, a burden. When you have lots and lots of money, you are force to preserve, protect and grow it. And worry about your gold digging friends and family. Fortunately, not our problem. OTOH having rich friends - based on friendship, not money - is terrific.

Turns out the Sue Sea's entire family is made up of very successful, self-made men and women who happen to also be open-minded, liberal and a wonderful extended family. This wonderful family gets together often, well and knows how to party. At a recent celebration which we attended, the host was serving all manner of tropical goodies, munchies and of course...

Good Booze!

Actually great booze. When I walked in the host - with whom I've become friends - said "What's yours?". We walked over to his custom made bar and took a look. Withouth hesitation I spotted and said "How but the Lagavulin 16? He poured me a triple. On a previous visit I'd had his Ardbeg 12, and his Laphroig 18 and needless to say, these were magnificent.

But the Lagavulin? Amazing! Lots of good peat smoke, the seaside defined yet like Laphroig, balanced by a complex fruit. Extremely powerful with great contrast but not jarringly so. At times disparate elements can be imbalanced, but somehow the Lagavuliin managed to be powerful, smoky, fruity, complex and smooth - all at the same time, and with all of these characteristics delivered in a conjoined harmony that can be hard to describe, but easy to enjoy.

Don't misunderstand. I LOVE Laphroig - the Quarter Cast, better the 10 and really - the 18, but the Lagavulin was better. Now I know why this 16 year single malt continues to be the Islay of choice, year after year.

Now if that wasn't enough...

Somehow the subject of Johnnie Walker came up and the host held that yes, he'd finally bought a Blue at well over $200, and which was still boxed. Now I'd had the Gold, the Green, the Red and the Black (which I actually preferred). I bit my lip and kept silent, but amazingly the host - well lubricated by now - said "Hell, let's open it!". And it was done.

Of course I ran to get Sue Sea, letting her know that we were about to have a rare treat - JW Blue (after the Lagavulin) and she moseyed over, to observe over half the bottle being poured to all comers. Let me be honest:

We weren't that impressed.

Was it the Lagavulin? Or the Laphroig? I don't know, but as the Godz are my witness, the Blue just didn't do it for me and nor for Sue Sea (whose palate was still fresh). And not for a couple other whisky fans. We all agreed: an ego purchase. Not bad, mind you but just lacked a real identity. Frankly, I preferred by far the Black, and even the discontinued Green.

All in all though, a wonderful experience that next time we'll do a bit more seriously and take notes. But as for the Lagavulin - at its price (can be had for $100), a no-brainer. A wonderful single malt from the Islands...

It's nice to have friends...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

IMO, it WAS the Lagavulin. It is THAT good.

JW Blue is like Chivas Royal Salute, a whisky for show, as Ralfy stated here.

That's not to say JW Blue is crap, as it is a VERY smooth whisky and very elegant, too, but it is for a different customer and for a different situation to enjoy same.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Blue label is smooth for its own sake, at the expense of flavor and character.

Jimbo, as you probably know, both are Diageo products - does that affect your enjoyment at all?
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Most people prefer the Green or Gold labels to the Blue. Blue's high price is due to the rarity of some of the components moreso than the quality.

I have never heard of Ardbeg 12 yr, it was probably the 10 you had. If you get the chance try the Uigeadail, it is my favorite Scotch so far.

I just got great prices on Laphroaig Triplewood (which I had once in a bar and liked) and the 10 yr Cask strength, neither of which I have opened yet. The triplewood was very similar to the Quarter cask, perhaps just a touch sweeter due to the finishing in Oloroso sherry casks. I have to say that (by a small margin) I prefer the QC to the 18 yr, whose prices are all over the map - I bought my bottle in PA for $60, and have seen it for over $100 at online retailers whose prices are usually very good. I have read quite a few people bemoan the discontinuing of the very popular 15 yr in favor of the 18 a few years ago.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thanks for the posts...

Couple thoughts. It's much easier to avoid the Big Three insofar as rum, but with single malts - not so much. And then there are people like Sue Sea (and I) and the Guinness Stout we've enjoyed for many, many years. It's like having an old friend imprisoned for a crime they didn't commit - do you stop visiting?

Yes Yank, it was the Ardbeg 10 (which I own as well) and which is a more than worthy alternative to my Laphroig 10 or QC (both of which I found once for $36 - I'm serious!). It seems they can do nothing wrong on the Isle of Islay (eye' - lah), the Barbados of whiskey.

And U-man, I quite agree. The Blue seems something used to toast or gift at the conclusion of a large business deal. Guaranteed to make the appropriate statement, but not to really excite. Like a fine tailored shirt - fits well, looks great and doesn't offend. In the end, it's still a laundered white shirt.