An Islay evening

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...

Which younger Islay do you favor?

Laphroig 10
No votes
Ardbeg 10
50%
Other (explain, please)
50%

Total votes: 4

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

An Islay evening

Post by Capn Jimbo »

An Islay evening...

I don't think that many here would disagree that Laphroig and Ardbeg 10's are lovely drams. At a point I was able to obtain each of them in the mid $30's, really pretty nice. I also had found a Laphroig Quarter Cask at that time and couldn't resist. Even some of Compass Box offerings were found at those prices.

Those days are clearly over, and thanks only to our wonderful small Indian outlets who aren't afraid to discount at a point. As time as passed each of the above has been enjoyed, dram by dram and will soon - gulp - be gone.

On this night I had an urge for an Islay (prompted by a good cigar), so I hauled out the Laphroig 10 and had a couple. It was one of those nights where deep contemplation was the order of the day, so the Laphroig was followed by the Ardbeg 10, but this time with an Hassouni-approved hookah with a Nahkla Double-Apple tobacco - a classic as well.

This series led me to consider the difference between the two, and it was one I found surprising. The Laphroig - for the first time - struck me as choppy! Yes the peat smoke was there - in wonderful spades - and followed by an underlying malty fruitiness, but somehow the balance didn't seem quite right. What made that obvious was what became a side-by-side comparison with the Ardbeg.

The Ardbeg made this Laphroig's smokey dominance clear. Now the Ardbeg was certainly not devoid of peaty smoke - after all it IS an Islay - but it was not nearly as dominant, but accompanied by a iodine, salt and seaweed which morphed smoothly into a lovely and more fruity frutiness. More balance, more harmony, more sophistication.

I had trouble accepting this, for Laphroig had been my preferred Islay for a long, long time. So I kept comparing and comparing (and smoking and smoking) and becoming ever more contemplative (some would say buzzed, lol). But as a writer this is actually a good thing. Drink enough and you may be next Jack London or Ernest Hemingway.

But bottom line, darn it, there was a difference and I liked it - the Ardbeg captured me. A lovely dram with the only proviso that I hate to think what a new one goes for.

But before than I really must try a Lagavulin 12 or 16...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat May 10, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I also prefer Ardbeg Ten over Laphroaig 10, which both go for $40 here. The balance provided by the sweetness of the Ardbeg is much better for me and I also find the Laphroaig to have a bit much of an iodine characteristic. If you like Ardbeg Ten and want to splurge on a really fine whisky, then give their Corryvreckan a try... it's much better! I've heard that Uigeadail is even better than that (and less money), but I've not had it yet.

By the way, I have a bottle of Laphroaig Cardeas from last year that is excellent. It's finished in a port pipe, which adds a unique dimension to the smoke and peat. I thought it was fantastic and was about $55.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I'm not a whisky drinker I defer to your judgement
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

My vote goes to Caol Ila 12, though Ralfy says the newest official bottlings have declined slightly (though the official, non-12 bottlings are still great). It's well balanced, with a moderated, warm smokiness that reminds me most of properly made barbecue

Ardbeg Uigedail is also a real cracker