Infectious trends Dept: Bourbon at risk?

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Infectious trends Dept: Bourbon at risk?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Like an open jar of honey...

...this subject will draw bees and our own bourbon loving Bear, among others. And it should. I just received my copy of Jim Murray's Bible. In his "Bible Thumping" article/rant he takes aim on disturbing trends in both single malts and yes, bourbon. He's speaking of the trend of "finishing", especially but not limited to the use of ex-sherry barrels.

According to Murray this began with single malts, under the control of the SWA. Murray points out the problem of these sulfur-treated barrels (to kill fungus, etc.) as this treatment may leave enough residuals to negatively affect the product. In truth such finishing was marketing driven, in any attempt to distinguish the product as "new, different, better and more interesting".

Now we Americans who en masse would defend the position of Bourbon as the purest spirit in the world - absolutely no additives, no coloring whatever and the uniform use of new, charred barrels. Oops! Not to Murray. He identifies the dilemma the KDA (Kentucky Distillers Assoc.) is now facing.

No one will disagree that bourbon and now rye have achieved their current respect and growing popularity from a long history of the commitment to purity. But the marketing boyz once again have no issue with tossing tradition - and regulation aside. Quoting Murray:
"What is happening now? Cask finishes. With the word "bourbon" somewhere being used on the label. That of course leads to confusion at the very time when the world is just beginning to understand... So the moment the spirit is transferred from virgin oak, which makes it bourbon, into used casks, it has clearly crossed the border... In these cases the word bourbon should not appear anywhere on the label unless clearly titled 'whisky distilled from bourbon mash... It just ain't bourbon."
Murray begs the KDA to be clear and to protect bourbon as we knew it. Unfortunately even the associations are not immune from mega-pressure, to wit regarding residual sulfur, the SWA apologetic and weak response was to spin it as just adding "variety". Murray's main point - that these practices are nothing less than the nose of the camel under the tent, a cancer that will inevitably metastasize and destroy the category of once great spirits.

Counsellor, your witness...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

As informed consumers we can only do our best to seek out and buy those spirits thst are true and aren't owned by those whose agenda is profit for swill for the uninitiated.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Going to get into some more Bourbons. Like you a true spirit.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

I'm not sure how bothered I am about this, but perhaps that's because I'm confident there is enough cache in the term "straight bourbon" that enough people will resist cask finishing to keep such products available.

I've never looked very closely (and am back on the boat now), but haven't I bought a bunch of single malts finished with sherry casks? Aren't they supposed to be the epitome of transparency and truth-in-advertising?

If the TTB can manage (certainly a big if), so long as they work into the rules that a cask finished bourbon must be labeled as "cask finished", then we should be OK.

There's actually a bourbon called Hooker's House which is supposed to be finished in red wine barrels such that it ends up with a cherry taste to it. I'm really excited about getting a chance to try that, although not yet sure quite when I will.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The Black Tot wrote:...I've never looked very closely (and am back on the boat now), but haven't I bought a bunch of single malts finished with sherry casks? Aren't they supposed to be the epitome of transparency and truth-in-advertising?
Excellent question. Actually bourbon has been the epitome as up until recently the regs were followed - new charred casks only, no caramel. The Single malts - still reasonably pure - still use a bit of caramel, and sulfured sherry casks. Of course the worst of all is rum which has no enforced standards at all.

But to your question. Both Murray and to a lesser degree, the Malt Maniacs (who ran competent blind tests) agree that even the tiny amounts caramel color affect the taste. Murray went so far as to say that caramel so affected his palate that he came to despise its use, stating that caramel led to a flatter finish, and imparted a bit of a cardboard taste. Murray then made that into a major campaign and controversy about 10 years ago. The SWA took note and the use of caramel became much, much less.

To your question of sherry barrels...

...yet another fad of the last few years, Murray is just as perturbed. It's important to know that ex-sherry barrels - even though expensive - are VERY subject to going bad once they were first emptied. The common treatment is to treat them with sulfur to kill the mold et al, prior to their use with whiskey (this is not an issue with ex-bourbon barrels). It is inevitable that there is residual sulfur (think burnt matches).

Murray emphasizes another major and quite valid point: the Cadillac of stills was, is and will remain king copper. The main reason this has always been so was that the processing of raw material and fermentation produces sulfur-based compounds, which are then effectively removed by the copper. The more copper the better, from still, to head, to lyne arm and even in the condenser. This is so important to the quality of the distilled spirit that distillers go to great expense to use copper. Now ask yourself...

After going to all that expense to remove sulfur for the primary reason of better tasting, higher quality spirits, how much sense does it make to add it back in via the treated ex-sherry barrels? According to Murray, none at all. He sees this - convincingly - as a destructive fad that will serve to continue to degrade the product. Now since the marketing monkeys could give a rat's ass, Murray has embarked on yet another valid campaign.

Let me quote Murray from his review of Glenmorangie Pride 1981, p. 135:
"The entire reason for stills to be made of copper is so sulfur compounds are removed. So by adding them back in...this can be nothing but a negative step... when, for me, it spoils the nose, muddies the middle and bitters the finish how can I do anything but judge accordingly... Why some critics cannot nose sulfur is beyond me. About as useful as a wine write who can't spot a corked wine..."
QED, and powerful. I should reviews like these are one of the things that makes Murray's book especially valuable as a learning experience, a $15 master class.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Hmm... interesting.

It seems very logical to want to limit sulfur, based on the above.

Wouldn't a savvy cask-finisher send the barrel of whiskey or whisky to the winery, and transplant the spirits into the wine barrel immediately after dumping, thereby obviating the need for sulfuric preservation?

Sounds like an option, anyway. Sure it would add cost. Or you could take a wine destined for the UK anyway and dump it at the Scotch distillery.

This might even be less of a problem for American whisky due to the easier logistics of having California within country.

Perhaps then I could beef up my request of the TTB and say not only must a label specify cask finishing, but also must state if the cask was sulfur treated?
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

The Black Tot wrote:There's actually a bourbon called Hooker's House which is supposed to be finished in red wine barrels such that it ends up with a cherry taste to it. I'm really excited about getting a chance to try that, although not yet sure quite when I will.
I've had it and it's quite good. I plan on securing a bottle on my upcoming trip to San Francisco.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

One thing to consider with respect to sherry finishing is that most of the sherry that's produced is only for whiskey finishing. The majority of Spanish sherry is dumped after aging so that the bottle can be used for aging whiskey, which I presume is placed in the barrel very quickly. I don't know who's using sherry barrels/casks that have been sitting around for any appreciable amount of time.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Columbo: ...just one more thing, Sir...

...Murray is unequivocal about the regulations, to wit: the moment the "bourbon" is transferred out of their original new charred oak barrels, it is no longer "bourbon" per se. He will concede to "whiskey made from bourbon mash", but not another syllable. He insists that the word "bourbon" should thence not appear anywhere else, standing alone, on the bottle.

See the OP, where Murray rejects finishing of what was bourbon:
Murray: "...So the moment the spirit is transferred from virgin oak, which makes it bourbon, into used casks, it has clearly crossed the border... In these cases the word bourbon should not appear anywhere on the label unless clearly titled 'whisky distilled from bourbon mash... It just ain't bourbon."
Try as I might I can't disagree with him...
Distilled Spirits (27 C.F.R. 5.22) state that bourbon must meet these requirements:

* Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn (maize).
* Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof (80% alcohol by volume).
* Neither coloring nor flavoring may be added.

* Bourbon must be aged in new, charred oak barrels.

* Bourbon must be entered into the barrel at no more than 125 proof (62.5% alcohol by volume).
* Bourbon, like other whiskeys, may be bottled at not less than 80 proof (40% alcohol by volume.)
* Bourbon that meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.
* Straight Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labeled with the duration of its aging.
* If an age is stated on the label, it must be the age of the youngest whiskey in the bottle.
* Only whiskey produced in the United States can be called bourbon.
Now my friend Chuck Cowdery agrees, at least in part:
Cowdery: "For a product to be labeled “bourbon whiskey” it has to meet tighter requirements. The mash must be at least 51% corn, the distillation proof has to be less than 160° proof (80% ABV), the barrel entry proof has to be less than 125° proof (62.5% ABV), and the oak containers have to be new and charred, but there is still no minimum age specified."
Read my lips: since there is "no minimum age" it is impossible to truly distinguish one month of "aging" from one of "finishing" for "bourbon". But - he then does his own bending of this clear rule anyway by then flummoxing:
"Finishes and infusions are another controversial area... Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam, and Buffalo Trace have all used wood finishes, comparable to single malt scotch finished in sherry casks... The best way to understand finishes and flavorings is that just as you can’t un-ring a bell, you can’t un-bourbon a bourbon. What you get when you add something to it is “bourbon and…” The official description of Maker’s 46, for example, is “Kentucky bourbon whiskey barrel-finished with oak staves.”
IMHO, Cowdery is bending the law. Nowhere do the regulations even remotely imply that once a spirit qualifies as a "bourbon", then anything goes. There is no definition of "finishing"; ergo "finishing" is a synonym for "aging", albeit it is assumed for a shorter period - but time is not defined either. On Cowdery's basis you could age the spirit for 15 minutes in a new charred oak barrel -literally- then move it to an ex-sherry barrel for four years and still call it a bourbon? Really? His second fail is his comparison to the SWA's use of ex-sherry barrels. Sorry my friend, but the SWA whisky regs on cooperage are completely different:
"(c) which has been wholly matured in an excise warehouse in Scotland in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres, the period of that maturation being not less than three years;

(d)"...and to which no substance other than water and plain caramel colouring may be added."
The SWA specification makes any oak - new or used, charred or not and from any source - legal. Note too that the SWA regs allow caramel coloring. Rum regs are just as loose insofar as wood. You can call it rum regardless of new or used, bourbon or sherry barrels. To the contrary our bourbon regs are FAR more specific - new, charred oak, no additives or coloring, period, ever. When bourbon leaves that new uncharred oak, it had better be for bottling. I'll finish with this...

There is no way on the godz green planet earth that any of us can make a clear distinction between aging and finishing insofar as bourbon is concerned. There is NO minimum age to qualify as a "bourbon". The bourbon regs don't care a whit about age - you can sell a "bourbon" that's a week old - but only if it was aged in "new, charred oak barrels" prior to bottling. Period.

This is not to say that distillers cheat - heaven forbid - why, they'd never put illegal additives in rum, would they? They'd never misstate the age, would they? And certainly they'd never ever call a distilled bourbon mash that was aged spent time in both new charred oak and used sherry barrels "bourbon", now would they?

Of course not. In my opinion, Murray is dead on. "Finishing" - particularly with imported and predictably treated ex-sherry barrels is not only a rubberized marketing version of the law, but in most cases will add very unbourbonlike flavors. It's a marketing created slippery slope to blur the definition for increased sales. Want to flavor bourbon? Say so. Want to call it a "sherry aged whisky made from bourbon mash". Have at it.

But please, please don't put bourbon on that slippery slope. It's been the purest, most dependable spirit on earth, but not for long...

Aside: Bourbon is made almost entirely in Kentucky (though oddly none or very little in Bourbon County). By far the source of most sherry butts and pipes in Europe which were made primarily to make and sell sherry, just as our American new charred oak is used primarily to make bourbon. Both industries resell their used barrels, all of them in re bourbon, less so for the sherry and wine producers.

These are much larger than our familiar 53 gallon American oak barrels, double or larger in size. They are almost always treated as sherry barrels can go bad quickly. Many are disassembled into staves for effective shipping. Others are cut down into smaller barrels (which are still larger than our American ex-bourbon barrels). Some are shaved, charred or otherwise remanufactured. Ex-sherry barrels are VERY expensive, about ten times the cost of an ex-bourbon barrel.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

bearmark wrote:One thing to consider with respect to sherry finishing is that most of the sherry that's produced is only for whiskey finishing. The majority of Spanish sherry is dumped after aging so that the bottle can be used for aging whiskey, which I presume is placed in the barrel very quickly. I don't know who's using sherry barrels/casks that have been sitting around for any appreciable amount of time.
Murray disagrees and finds evidence of sulfur in many, many whiskies, and he doesn't like it. He reports that the sulfuring has been admitted by the SWA, both cited above. Honestly, I'm completely flummoxed by your report.

Most sherry is produced (and dumped) for whisky finishing? No "appreciable amount of time empty", ergo no treatment? Wood and coopering has been a long, long time study for me and I've never heard a syllable of these anywhere; in fact these fly in the face of all the data I've found (and posted elsewhere). JaRiMi would agree. Please do cite some good sources as if true, these would be truly beheaded line news (sp), lol.

Are you implying that legal bourbon is shipped to Europe for immediate transfer to just emptied European oak sherry butts for finishing? And then aged, er finished there - or - returned full to Kentucky? I've never heard of this either. Or are you saying that full butts (500 gallons) of sherry are shipped to Kentucky, to be unceremoniously dumped, and immediately refilled? News to me.

I find these claims almost impossible to believe but then again so was the recent Shootout. So please do share any sources, as this are surely worthy of consideration.

At least ten very lengthy articles have long been posted on wood and sherry barrels. See especially the six articles in the "From Cane to Glass: section:
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewforum.php?f=22

Other sherry barrel articles of note:

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=315
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=508
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=509
bearmark
Beermeister

Post by bearmark »

I first heard this from The MacAllan and it's verified here. There's a much higher demand for sherry-finished whisky than there is for the sherry itself, so they commission the production of sherry expressly for the use in finishing or aging whisky. The MacAllan representative said that they literally dump the sherry after the cask is seasoned. The statement about the time that it takes to transition these barrels from sherry aging to whisky aging was an assumption on my part, but the rest is verifiable. I didn't make any reference to bourbon, but it seems that this is at least true for Scotch whisky, which employs sherry finishing/aging far more often than bourbon.
Mark Hébert
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thank god...

The Macallan story is an old one, and well covered here long ago. The article linked is just a lightweight and partially inaccurate space filler by a wine merchant, and does not really communicate accurately what you appear to think it does. The whole story is rather different. It also conflicts with the Macallan rep who is playing with words - the word "dumped" should not be taken literally.

Again, a very old and well known story - and a fascinating one at that - about Macallan, which I'll address a bit later - Sue Sea and I have an interfering task this moment. Good eyes, but.... stay tuned.

OK, we're back. The real Macallan story was covered three years ago in 2011, here:
http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=508

This should clear things up insofar as Macallan. No sherry is "leased" or dumped. All Macallan really did back then was to insure they'd get proper sherry barrels by coopering them, then loaning them to legitimate sherry producers at VERY low cost, on the condition that the barrels be returned to them later. Those barrels were still treated as needed, disassembled as needed, and transported to back to Macallan in Scotland.

The issue remains without contradiction: that "finishing" bourbon in sherry is an oxymoron. Murray's position remains solid insofar as the negative effects of caramel coloring and ex-sherry barrels sulfuring in terms of altering taste, and diminishing the spirit. He considers that the continued aging of bourbon in anything but its original charred oak disqualifies the spirit from being labelled as bourbon.

Thus he devotes separate categories in his Whisky Bible to:

1. bourbon whiskey (as defined in the Standards of Identity, aged in new charred oak only)
2. whiskey distilled from bourbon mash ("finished"/aged in anything else)

For example, several of the Angel's Envy products are listed in the latter category, due to their continued aging in used rum and other barrels. He does not consider them "bourbon" and he has a real point.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

To be fair...

...I'm sure we know all too well now that the TTB's "regulation" is an oxymoron. Despite the fact that unlabeled additives (think Ron Matusalem) are used (and proved), the TTB apparently couldn't have cared less. If the mega's want to degrade the category of bourbon - which was the the only, long time absolutely pure and unadulterated spirit - by adding a second aging euphemistically called "finishing", they simply will, and they are right now.

The big difference: for better of worse Murray has a huge audience and his rants get rapt attention. He raised a huge fuss over caramel about ten years ago, claiming it does flatten the palate (the Malt Maniacs agreed and blind tested this) - and now? Far, far fewer colored single malts.

Will his current rant over treated ex-sherry wood, and the deviation from the bourbon regs have any effect? I pray it does, but honestly, it's really quite hard to be confident. Let's face it - the aging called "finishing" is marketing driven. Folks who never drank sherry in their life get woodies exclaiming the use of ex-oloroso/PX barrels for these "new and exciting bourbons"?!

And so it goes...
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Through the looking glass darkly...

The regulations can be hard to understand. At times they may seem cumbersome. Often one regulation which seems clear on its face, actually references another regulation which may supercede the first. The regulations are actually pretty clear – but only to a relative few. This is exactly why I hate getting into discussions with the bar stool experts.

I understand the confusion here – the following is intended to clarify just why Jim Murray – and others – have taken their position, specifically when Murray states “...when you move what was bourbon into another (uncharred or used) barrel it ceases being bourbon”. Others reflect Chuck's position, namely “once it's bourbon, you can't unchange it”. Both will be quoted later.

To understand this issue there are some key words to understand:
  • 1. aging
    2. finishing
    3. storing
    4. containers
    5. chips and staves
    6. wood treatment
Background

Chuck's (Cowdery) crew believes that “aging” is somehow different from “finishing” and that once the proper mash of at least 51% corn is distilled and aged in “new, charred oak” it now can be (properly) be called bourbon. Cowdery's Zen position is that once achieved, "...you can't unmake bourbon". They distinguish this from “finishing” which they view as a quickie process to which this “bourbon” is treated. Thus the “bourbon” now can spend some time in say an ex-sherry barrel for a “sherry finish”. For this view to be correct “finishing” must be a different process able to be legally distinguished from “aging” and vice versa.

Murray, et al's view is obviously different. This view is that what the marketing boyz euphemistically call “finishing” is no different than aging, and that if the mash is spends time in anything but “new, charred oak” - it is no longer “bourbon” as defined by the Standards of Identity. For Murray the transfer of the spirit from its original new charred oak barrel to an ex-sherry or rum barrel immediately destroys its identity as bourbon. For this view to be correct, “aging” and “finishing” are simply synonyms for the same process of simply storing the spirit.

Let's start with the CFR's on which we all rely. The Standard of Identity for “Bourbon Whiskey”is simple, clear and unequivocal. You probably think you understand it. Let's see if you do...

§5.22   The standards of identity.
(1)(i) “Bourbon whisky”, “rye whisky”, “wheat whisky”, “malt whisky”, or “rye malt whisky” is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.
About now you are saying “BFD, everybody knows that – that's not the issue!”. Simple and clear but has nothing to do with “finishing”, right? Not so fast.

“Aging” and “finishing” do not appear, are not really defined and especially are not distinguished from one another in the CFR. The reason is obvious – these terms are very hard to define and really overlap. What some call "finishing", others call "double aging". Instead the TTB carefully uses a simple word that is much clearer and enforceable: “stored”. Bourbon is neither “aged” nor “finished” in “charred new oak”, it is simply STORED in it.

The term “finished” has no legal meaning which is exactly why the marketing monkeys love to use it. There's nothing like attaching the name of a fine wine in single malt fashion to sell product.

Chuck is well aware of these misleading practices which allow the very same monkeys to misrepresent products like Templeton Rye, who cleverly name drops words like “small batch”, original hometown Prohibition recipe”, “craft distilled” etc. in a blizzard of words that misled most buyers to honestly believe it was distilled by them. As for the non-term “finished”, it's the same phony game.

Bottom line: while the the regulations do address age (in years), they do NOT define or distinguish “aging” from “finishing”. Both “store” the distillate in oak containers which must be “charred, new oak”. When the clearly defined “bourbon” leaves it's “charred, new oak container” it had better be to either a bottle, or to risk losing its legal identity. BTW, do note that the TTB also avoids defining "barrel", cask, butt, tunn, quarter cask, et al and for the same reason they don't define “aging” and “finishing”.

The SID offers no other alternative than “storage in...a charred, new oak container”. But, but, but we sputter, how 'bout Section 5.39? Next up...

§5.39   Presence of neutral spirits and coloring, flavoring, and blending materials.
(a) Neutral spirits and name of commodity. (...this section concerns the labeling of neutral spirits and is entirely irrelevent)

(b) Coloring materials. (and this one covers the labeling of coloring, also completely irrelevent)

(c) Treatment with wood. The words “colored and flavored with wood (insert chips, slabs, etc., as appropriate)” shall be stated as a part of the class and type designation for whisky and brandy treated, in whole or in part, with wood through percolation, or otherwise, during distillation or storage, other than through contact with the oak container.
“Aha!” you say, “now THIS is where finishing is surely addressed. Even our good man Chuck has argued this point in the past, quoting this evidence:
Chuck:

“Finishes and infusions are another controversial area... Woodford Reserve, Jim Beam, and Buffalo Trace have all used wood finishes, comparable to single malt scotch finished in sherry casks... The best way to understand finishes and flavorings is that just as you can’t un-ring a bell, you can’t un-bourbon a bourbon. What you get when you add something to it is “bourbon and…”

"The official description of Maker’s 46, for example, is “Kentucky bourbon whiskey barrel-finished with oak staves.”
Well that settles it, right? Not really. The comparison to single malt fails on two counts: single malt whiskey has a different SID which does not specify wood, and second, the transfer to sherry barrels violates the SID for bourbon, above. Cowdery's one and only example, the Maker's Mark does not use sherry barrels at all, but rather claims to "barrel-finish with oak staves". Needless to say we all realize - or should - that what appears on any old label is hardly the measure of legality or compliance.

In this regard I'd again offer Chuck's own critical rant on Potemkin Templeton Rye, among many others. He's right. Labelling IS abused. Second, and this is where you have to really read closely – is that both paragraph (c) above refers (read it twice) to “chips, slabs, etc.” - so far so good – but it also clearly states, using the specific legal word “shall”, the following:

“The words 'colored and flavored with wood (insert chips, slabs, etc., as appropriate)' shall be stated.” on the label along with the class and type, in this case “bourbon whiskey”.

When mandatory isn't mandatory...

Maker's marketeering monkeys have taken both artistic and legal license via their dubious and undefined label stating “barrel-finished with oak staves”! Are you kidding me? “Barrel-finished” with “oak staves”?! This is just more Templeton trickery: “barrel-finished” wants to imply it's, duh, finished in a barrel. You may think of say an ex-sherry barrel, but no! It's barrel-finished not with a barrel, but with uh, oak staves. Perfectly clear for marketing blather.

How hard would it be to just follow the law and print the mandatory “colored and flavored with oak staves”? Ouch! But they just couldn't bring themselves to use the dreaded “C” (colored) and “F” (flavored) words. Replace the meaningless and made-up “barrel-finished” with the mandatory “colored and flavored” and they've got a winner. Obviously the compliant TTB could care less. But that's not all.

Section 5:39 addresses ONLY the use of “chips, slabs, etc”, either during distillation or when stored in the “container”. It makes clear that this treatment concerns only processes “other than contact with the container”. And what container is that? You know which one; it's already been defined. Chuck's only citation – MM46 - has everything to do with staves but absolutely nothing to do with containers (which are solely addressed in the original definition of bourbon whiskey).

Thus the only bourbons which can be altered and remain "bourbon" are those in which the bourbon remains in their “charred, new oak” containers, into which are inserted chips, staves and the like, and which are then mandated to be labeled “Bourbon whiskey colored and flavored by oak (chips, staves, etc.).” Any “bourbon” which is transferred to another used or uncharred container - for any reason - no longer meets the SID for “bourbon”, period.

Back to the beginning...

Thus, we've come full circle - the real subject here is not chips or chunks, but remains Murray's assertion: that once the “bourbon” is transferred out of its “charred, new oak container”, to continue being stored in used barrel of any kind, then it is no longer “bourbon” but a “Whiskey distilled from bourbon mash”.

Murray is absolutely right, notwithstanding misleading labeling, lack of enforcement, and bourbon drinkers who don't seem to care. Remember: when “it's all good” prevails, “it's all bad” is not far behind. Bourbon has been defined narrowly and for the good of all – a truly pure and unaltered spirit with no equal. We need to keep it that way. Unfortunately the Marketey Mouse Club wants to take advantage of bourbons hard earned reputation and respect in the rule bending pursuit of temporary profit. Rum has already been destroyed as a pure spirit thanks to the mega-corporations, and bourbon is now on the same slippery slope.

I defer to Jim Murray for the last word:
“This is of so much concern that there is at least one senior distiller ready to resign if his bosses take the path that leads to obscurification in the meaning, definition and understanding of what was the purest of all the world's whiskeys”.

A personal note:
In closing, I want to make clear my absolute and unwavering admiration and respect for Chuck Cowdery who has always been supportive and more than informative over the years, both publicly and privately. I own his books, and have recommended them often and loudly. No one knows wood and bourbon better, period. He is a man among men, and I applaud him. I'm a true fan.

But here and this time my honored friend, here we will respectfully disagree. I urge you to have the courage to rethink your position. Up spirits!
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For the few remaining anal retentives, moi included...

I've gone into the lion's den over at StraightBourbon.com, a lovely site populated by a great bunch, to confront the same issue that has led to the near destruction of our beloved rum. The bourbon guys seem unbelieving that their once pure and unmodified spirit is being compromised, as if the mega's appetite for mislabeled product ended with rum.

After extended debate one fine poster, DBM, stated that "...Unless there is a plausible concern about how this labeling could be abused" there were no worries, ergo the following was posted...

From §5.22 The standards of identity:

(1)(i) “Bourbon whisky”...is whisky produced at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn... and stored at not more than 125° proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.

And from the same section:

(2) “Whisky distilled from bourbon mash” is whisky produced in the United States at not exceeding 160° proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn... and stored in used oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type."
The difference is meaningful and based primarily on the oak used for storage. It is essential to understand that the regs make no distinction between what is called "finishing" and what is called "aging". Truth be told, neither do the marketing monkeys nor the misinformed public.

What the regs do define is "storage" in oak "containers" of varying types. The regs consider storage as well, storage. What you want to call “finishing” or even “aging”? It's all “storage” to the TTB. No distinction is made other than the required wood type. Anytime a spirit is in an oak container, that is considered storage. If it is moved from one container to another (eg for the euphemistic "finishing" or "aging"), it must be to another bourbon barrel of the same kind (charred, new oak).
"§19.326 Mingling or blending of spirits for further storage.

A proprietor may mingle or blend spirits in the storage account according to the following rules...

(b) Domestic spirits distilled at less than 190° of proof may be mingled for withdrawal or further storage if the spirits:

(1) Are of the same kind; and

(2) Were produced in the same State."
No one can convincingly argue that a used sherry barrel/container (containing residual sherry) and which was probably produced in Europe or California is "of the same kind" as a charred, new oak container of bourbon made in Kentucky. Sherry – residual or otherwise - is not bourbon, and simply can't be mingled with the resultant mixture being called either "bourbon" or "sherry".

The novel attempt by one poster to redefine the standard of "storage in a used container” to somehow instead be considered just a form of adding "flavoring" – is simply that: novel and unconvincing. It has no basis in the regulations. The flavoring clause does not modify the standard of identity in any way; to the contrary, the flavoring and other alteration clauses follow the SID which defines the base spirit/category (“bourbon”), takes precedence and to which the others must defer. "Adding" and "storage" are clearly defined and must both stand. The defining SID cannot be whatever the marketing monkeys want it to be.

Bottom Line:

The only fair and legal label choices: add sherry directly in the customary manner and you may label it "Bourbon Flavored with Sherry" (§5.22(i) Class 9, Flavored Whiskey), or insert some sherry staves or chips into the bourgon required charred new oak storage, and then label it "Bourbon flavored and colored with sherry oak chips" (§5.39(c) Treatment with wood).

Otherwise, and if moved for continued storage in a used oak sherry container, the spirit now must be identified as "Whiskey distilled from bourbon mash" and the sherry need not be labelled.

Mind you, the legalities and the current misleading marketing labelling are two different things, not to mention the cowering and complaint TTB, to whom "enforcement" is an oxymoron. Twist and turn as you will, that's the law.

But let's hear from the apologists..

Now to those who assert that they're just fine with a label stating “Bourbon, barrel-finished in Oloroso Sherry Barrels”, keep in mind that this is just a continued degradation of what for a hundred years was and remains the singular and clear standard definition of a “bourbon whiskey”. Misleading labels such as that blur the distinctions between “Bourbon”, “Flavored Bourbon”, “Bourbon flavored and colored with oak chips”, and “Whiskey distilled from bourbon mash”.

All of those are clearly defined and separate categories and should be. This whole recent notion of “finishing” bourbon is pure marketing and is undefined in the regs short of being just another form of “storage” (in a container). In fact, Cowdery's 2004 book “Straight Bourbon” does not seem to even mention the concept. The mega-corporations have but one goal: new sales and new profits. Their goal is to trade on the success and heretofore absolute purity of a spirit that until rather recently was guaranteed to be free of color, additives of any kind including other spirits, and whose storage was solely in charred, new oak containers.

Enter the Madmen...

The mega-corporate marketing monkeys have noted the success of single malts using ex-sherry barrels, but ignore the fact that the SID for those malts allows storage in any oak container, charred or not. They know that a made up “Bourbon finished in Oloroso PX Barrels” will sell a lot better and for lots more money than a “Sherry Flavored Bourbon” and as for the proper “Whiskey distilled from bourbon mash”, never! And they're fully aware that the TTB is in their very deep pockets, er "open minded" in re their very creative labeling.

By tweaking the label with their euphemistic “finished”, they want you to believe that it's a valued and established “bourbon whiskey” and not an ugh, flavored bourbon of any kind and in any fashion. Trust me this is a very slippery slope. Rum has become so degraded with coloring and additives – labeled or not - that the category and label of “rum” is completely abused and unreliable. Now when you buy a bottle labeled “rum” you really have no idea what else is in there. The legal labels of “rum” and “flavored rum” are for all practical purposes one in the same. A cheap rum can now be tweaked and sold for premium dollars.

The very same conglomerates who have destroyed “rum” as a category have obviously taken aim at bourbon, and you'd better know that. The fix is in and the trusting sheeple obediently follow. A quick “finish” and capture of residual sherry and you can now take what ought have been a $25 “bourbon” into a $150 super-premium, marketing created “barrel-finished bourbon”. Ouch. When the day comes that they actually not only switch storage containers to an unauthorized ex-sherry barrel and its residual sherry, but then even dare to add even more sherry to the bourbon, and still call it bourbon (!!) – well then perhaps you'll understand. Surely that'll never happen!

Not so fast!

That day is already here. The completely made up super-premium nicknamed “Sherry Signature” does exactly that – even adding foreign sherry – and is still is clearly and loudly labeled “ Straight Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey”. This time the made up word “finished” is superceded by the highlighted and even more euphemistic “Sherry Signature”. My friends, you'd better wake up and smell the bourbon. The fix is in. The bourbon you loved for the last 30 or 40 years is not the bourbon of today. Now it's “Sherry Signature” and even contains some added sherry, with those two marketing words costing you about another $60 each.

Let me close with the now famous story of Sydney Frank, back when vodka was just another $10, bottom shelf buzz facilitator. When he proposed to triple the price and produce a super-premium vodka he was laughed at. His retort, paraphrased “It's only water and alcohol, so if I can triple the price it's all profit”. Thus his highly promoted, fancy bottled Grey Goose was born, and the category of ordinary vodka was changed forever. His detractors? Soon enough they too were inventing new and sales inducing bottle designs and unprovable claims. Enter “Sherry Signature”.

But hey, “it's all good”, right? Not at all. Remember that the category of "rum" was ruined by the regulatory abuse and lack of enforcement. As this was happening bourbon and single malt remained as safe haven, predictable and trustworthy for two reasons: the regs were tight and clear, and they were enforced.

Accordingly both bourbon and single malts maintained a great respect, and justified their greater value and pricing. For rum - like Sydney Frank's Grey Goose - super-premium is all marketing and has little to do with what is actually in the bottle.

And that my friends is what bourbon now risks. With Signature Anything, that barn door is now fully open...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/s ... ray/page11
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/s ... Jim-Murray