Whisky Review: William Grant's Family Reserve

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...

How do you rate Grant's Family Reserve (five is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Whisky Review: William Grant's Family Reserve

Post by Capn Jimbo »

William Grant & Sons, Grant's Family Reserve: an orchard of spicy fruit

The longer we've been at whisky, the more we have learned to appreciate not only blended whisky, but blends in general. Blending is an art and when done with great skill the result will always be more complex than any single distillation can ever be. Unfortunately there are still a goodly number of whisky afficianados that remain quite prejudiced not only against blends, but especially those that sell for lower prices.

Accordingly, Grant's - which I found for $16.95 - is simply rejected by a certain number of prejudiced bloggers as just some kind of a lower shelf plonk of no real quality. The truth is quite the opposite. Grant's Family Reserve has received a stunning review from Jim Murray, a Best Buy from the BTI, a good review (85) from Ralfy, a featured whisky in Dave Broom's "World Atlas of Whisky", called "one of the best standards" by Whisky Magazine (Broom/Allison), and so on.

Still there are reviewers like Jason who demonstrate their anti-blend, anti-Grant's attitudes and as much as call it swill. A shame.

The real truth is that 90% of Scotch whisky still ends up in blends controlled by the mega's. Well known brands such as JW Red and Black, Black Bottle, Teacher's and Dewar's White Label have all been diminished, as the mega's substitute components for others that they own (and which likewise have diminished).

But not William Grant!

Like White Horse, Grant's has maintained its quality and for good reason. They are a fifth generation family who has refused to sell out and who remains independent. Despite stiff mega-competition they are the third largest producer of Scotch in the world. Their brands include the Balvenie, Glenfiddich, Kininvie, Ailsa Bay and the Girvan Grain distilleries. Thus they have absolute control over the 25 single malt and grain whisky components, which are good ones. Their long history means they own and warehouse many thousands of old barrels available for blending.

Basta! The reviews...

Sue Sea:
"Jim caught me by surprise with this one as lately our purchases have been modestly curtailed. Yet when he strided in proudly and caught me staring, he immediately exclaimed that this one was only $16.95 and I couldn't resist.

With that he lifted the bottle out of its brown paper bag, and there it was! One of the most lovely and unusual but classic looking bottles I've ever seen. It's triangular, with a large, gold-trimmed label applied around the curved corners, and featuring the Grant family crest, "est 1887" and "Five Generations of Whisky Making".

The Grant's Family Reserve's nose was lovely presented on a nice base of leather, malt, a bit of peat, berry and other medium baked ripe fruits. The palate entry was rich and fruity, consistent with the nose but with an early surprise entry of spicy clove, hot ginger and cinnamon. Dark red cherries, oranges, and red berries. The heat roars forward but in a nice way, with the fruits now taking a back seat, but returning to the fore in a sweet heat finish.

I think this whisky is quite versatile and would be enjoyed equally well as an apertif for an exciting evening, but just as well for an after dinner cigar. There enough going on to please any lover of whisky. To me the Family Reserve was remarkable for its unique and distinct combination of flavors and sensations. Its development is balanced but more like a pair of book ends - from fruity to heat to fruity and heat. Lovely."
Moi: Grant's is a truly unique company in that it is one of the very few that have managed not only to escape the crushing grasp of the mega's, but to do so with great success, selling almost as much Scotch as Diageo. Although this blend is more than economical, do not doubt its quality for a microsecond. Unlike almost all the other blends, they control the components and they have thousands of warehoused barrels of all ages. Unlike most, the malt content is high and is said to be 35%. Better yet, their master blender Brian Kinsman "...is only the sixth Master Blender in Grant’s entire history", replacing the famous David Stewart, who retired just short of 50 years on the job.

I'm going to save you my review, as it only mimics Sue Sea's but I will comment on the development which opened with leather and medium fruit, with the fruit continuing into the palate, whose complexity was supplanted by seriously nice heat, and moving smoothly into a consistent and integrated finish of leather, black pepper and fruit. BTW, the bottle was designed by a gentleman named Hans Schleger in 1957, and has appeared housing a number of Grant's single malts as well. Schleger was quite a famous designer who ended up on Madison Avenue, better known for his alter ego "Zero". I'll end with this notion...

Those who denigrate this whisky as a blend and/or based on its amazing cost need an attitude adjustment. For those who wish to buy a Speyside class blend but don't want to support the mega's, this is the one.

Score (ten is best): 8.

http://www.grantswhisky.com/uk/discover ... ed-whisky/
http://www.answers.com/topic/hans-schleger
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

I agree, this stuff is great; it's my default recommendation when people are about to buy or order the grossly overpriced and inferior Red Label