Gateways: do new drinkers start with blends?

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Gateways: do new drinkers start with blends?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's common knowledge that blended whisky is the gateway to single malts...

Monkeyshit. Current research shows that new single malt drinkers are much more likely to pass go, collect $200 and go straight to singles, bypassing the alleged gateway blends.

It's just like when the Preacher defends unlabeled alteration of rums when he pronounced that Pyrat XO's deceptions were just fine, because "...it's a gateway rum". Oh yeah?

Double monkeyshit.

This is yet another contrived excuse for an obviously altered "rum" that fails to claim its copious and unlabeled additives and faux flavorings. An avoidance maneuver designed to ignore the real issue, and forgive this faux rum because "...it tastes good" and might lead new drinkers to actual, pure rum (which he never really names). In the same way I intend to ignore the Shillery's monkeyshit; rather I'd prefer to praise the Shillery...

As a "gateway" to a real website. This one, lol!
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Even thought it is purely anecdotal, my introduction into the world of Scotch and thereon was via a Johnnie Walker Black Label tasting event back in 2000.

Single malts did come later, but I feel there is plenty to search among the blended Scotch world, particularly long established blends that are fading from the North American market (White Horse, as one example), or on the other side of the spectrum, products put out by John Glaser's Compass Box.

Just my 2 cents.

Capn's Log: For me it was just the opposite. I'd had an opportunity to taste a 60 year old Macallan - with ice - and voila! After that it was nothing but Johnny Walker Red.