An interlude with The Glenlivet 12

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

An interlude with The Glenlivet 12

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's fun to rediscover a good whisky...

If you really get into the world of good spirits, wines, beers and food you'll soon find that you've developed a collection of sorts. Some of us may own well over a hundred of them.

Many are forgettable, but the great ones never are. Speak words like Laphroig, Mount Gay Extra Old, Pussers or Barbancourt for example, and your tastebuds begin tingling and anticipating a memorable and wonderful profile. But I speak now - not of great spirits - but of good ones.

The "good ones" - at least some of them - are spirits that are not stupendous, not exceptional, not great - but! - they are exceeding good, pleasant and downright enjoyable. These are the spirits that can become "daily drinkers" for some.

Glenlivet 12 is one of those.

This good whisky has whet the palate for many, many whisky lovers over many years. It graces most bars and pubs, is widely available and is widely purchased. And it is widely enjoyed. Featuring a delicious combination of fruit, flowers, grains and vanilla. Perhaps a "dangerous" spirit?

Probably.

Every once in awhile I pull out a bottle from the several hundred we have collected and stored just to rediscover and reexplore a dust gathering spirit. I did just this with The Glenlivet 12 and I did not do so as "The Reviewer", but just for simple curiosity.

And pleasure. Lovely...

Capn's Note: Have you rediscovered a good and enjoyable spirit recently? What was your experience?
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

I'll also get re-acquainted with the 12 YO 'livet as a co-worker unexpectedly gave me a bottle for Christmas.

I've visited the distillery in August of '02, and it was well worth it. There were 3 Glenlivets to choose to sample at the end of the tour (12, 15 YO French Oak and I forget the last, maybe the 18 ) and I tried the French Oak offering, which impressed me at the time.

That said, when I received my latest bottle I was struck with how I've had a hole in my collection of Scotch by not having the standard expression of The Glenlivet on hand, and what a shame that was on my part.

I'm happy that glaring omission has been rectified.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

oh! Oh my! I forgot just how GOOD the 'livet is...cinnamon apples, hints of fudge on the finish, yummy stuff this is. :D