Malt Maniacs: Bang for your Buck List

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Malt Maniacs: Bang for your Buck List

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Speaking of Bangers and Chips...

I love the Malt Maniacs. Outspoken, honest and seemingly unbiased, committed to education, this website is a marvelous resource. Learning and appreciating rum is a simple chore in comparison. Here I'm The Compleat Idiot - in the world of whisky I'm just another thankful but ordinary idiot. As such, we all benefit from first learning from those who know and are willing to share with the world.

Thus, the Maniac's "Bang for Your Buck" list is a great resource for us.
MM's Bang for Your Buck list...

97 Laphroaig 10yo - At 35 Euro's per litre, this is the quintessential BFYB malt.
96 Talisker 10yo - Guaranteed to deliver a peppery punch at less than 40 C.
96 Lagavulin 16yo - My beloved gentle peat monster still reigns on the Hit List.
96 Glenfarclas 105 - Insane value at 60% ABV; cornerstone of any malt bar.
96 Highland Park 12yo - Another affordable malt that feels at home in any collection.
95 Macallan 12yo - Still one of the best (affordable) sherried malts, but slipping.
95 Dalmore 12yo - Not a 'stellar' score at 80 points, but the perfect daily dram.
94 Glenmorangie 10yo - You can't go far wrong if you're in the mood for a light malt.
93 Dufftown 10yo - I've always had a soft spot for this highly affordable dram.
93 Glen Ord 12yo - An enjoyable malt with just that extra bit of 'Highland' spunk.
92 Longmorn 15yo - A full flavoured Highlander; 37 Euro's buys a litre at 45% ABV.
92 Balvenie 12yo DW - An ultra-smooth Speysider with just enough sherry influence.
91 Balvenie 10yo - 3 Euro's cheaper than the 12yo, but I prefer the Doublewood.
91 Glenlivet 12yo - Another cornerstone of any drinks cabinet; the reference malt.
90 Bunnahabhain 12yo - Not a peat monster like its Islay neighbors, but a great dram.
90 Glenfarclas 10yo - This isn't quite as sherried as the Macallan 12 - great balance.
Oddly enough I own seven of these (if you can accept, for example, a Glenfarclas 12yo instead of the 10). As a student of spirits - and as so well advised in the book "The Philosophy of Whisky" - it behooves any budding afficianado to choose his mentors wisely, under a state of Beginner's (open) Mind.

Malt Maniacs does it for me, and until I know better will provide me guidance for some time, as whisky is way, way more difficult than rum not only because of the deservedly higher costs of fine single malts, but also due to the mindboggling number of releases (in the thousands). Whisky and wine - and beer too - are the playgrounds of masters, not masterbaters.

Your comments are appreciated.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

I'll vouch for the 1st trio in that list, plus the Balvenie Double Wood and The Glenlivet.

Glenmorangie ain't bad, but it is a "take it or leave it" for me. Look for the Highland Queen 12 YO single malt, I believe it is a 12 YO Glenmorangie, and having compared it to the latter I think I prefer it for the maturity that 2 extra years brings.

The Highland Park and Macallan are both a bit harsh to my taste, and having spent the coin to get the 18YO HP I don't feel cheated in the least as it simply its a stunning and complex whisky.

Having had a bottle of the 12 YO Macallan in the past, and having tried the 18 YO version I prefer the older age version, but I balk at spending over $130 a bottle for it, and I have a potent Tullibardine if I need a sherry fix.

I will give Glenfarclas a look, as I admit to ignorance in tasting it.
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Uisge - like you I am not a fan of Glenmorangie 10 yr / "Original", I find it rather bland with a weird finish. I do however quite like their Lasanta, probably the best reasonably-priced sherried single malt I have had yet.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

NCy, thanks for the tip.

Fortunately for me I was able to pick up a trio of Glenmorangie miniatures comprised of the Quinta Ruban, Lasanta, and Nectar d'Or recently, and having had the first of that trio, I think I can expect good things of the other two.

But don't think I knocked the standard 10YO Glenmorangie, as it is decent....just not my preference, when compared to The Glenlivet, which is more to my taste....or Glenfiddich's Distillery Edition or Snow Phoenix (which is ridiculously drinkable!)
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Uisge wrote: But don't think I knocked the standard 10YO Glenmorangie, as it is decent....just not my preference, when compared to The Glenlivet, which is more to my taste....or Glenfiddich's Distillery Edition or Snow Phoenix (which is ridiculously drinkable!)
Well I said you weren't a fan - if you were, you would tend to take it not leave it ;-)

In truth I have never had the 10 yr, which is now the "original" - I don't know if they changed it when they renamed it, but there has been speculation to that effect. I just know that I did not at all enjoy the bottle I had, and it is one of the few Scotches I have had that I would not rebuy. Not because it was all that bad per se, I just found nothing at all interesting about it. It reminded me of Cutty sark.
John Willy
Bo'sun's Mate

Post by John Willy »

Thanks so much Capn' and Uisge,

I wanted to buy a friend a few bottles of decent SMSW but knew nothing. I have since read considerably more, but before that I needed to buy for my friend. With Capn's 'Bang for your Buck' list and Uisge chiming in with his opinion regarding the first three in the list, it made my task simple, buy one of each. My friend was delighted and I owe you both a big thanks.

Regards,
John
If you're happy and don't know you're happy, then nobody is home.....
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

You can't go wrong with those three, provided he likes peat and smoke (which I do) - the Talisker is the best balanced of the three, not being an Islay (though it does have much of the Islay character).

If he likes the Laphroaig, I would highly recommend trying the Quarter cask version (which I have found for under $50) - it is one of my two favorite Scotches, along with lagavulin 16 yr. It is a little more sweet and complex than the 10 yr, like the Lagavulin, but still has a lot of the untamed nature of Laphroaig 10.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

John, a pleasure to have been able to assist you in your forage into Single Malt Scotch. I'm just passing along what has previously been brought to my attention, "passing it forward", if you will.

IF I had to limit myself to just ONE Single Malt Scotch, I'd have to flip a coin between Lagavulin 16 and Highland Park 18 as I find both of them very appealing.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Picked up a bottle of the 10 year old Talisker the other day. It's a nice drop. Lovely on the nose.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

owned by Diageo though, so won't be buying that anymore.
in goes your eye out
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Glenfarclas is my favorite single malt distillery.

I bought a 17yr early on and nursed it to the end.

Now I've got the 105, a 12, and a 10 in regular rotation. I've got a 25 salted away, but too pricey to break open just yet. I tasted it before buying at a good whisky bar.

All the Glenfarclas line are great malts with great character, and not owned by Diageo.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Uisge wrote:I'll vouch for the 1st trio in that list, plus the Balvenie Double Wood and The Glenlivet.

Glenmorangie ain't bad, but it is a "take it or leave it" for me. Look for the Highland Queen 12 YO single malt, I believe it is a 12 YO Glenmorangie, and having compared it to the latter I think I prefer it for the maturity that 2 extra years brings.

The Highland Park and Macallan are both a bit harsh to my taste, and having spent the coin to get the 18YO HP I don't feel cheated in the least as it simply its a stunning and complex whisky.

Having had a bottle of the 12 YO Macallan in the past, and having tried the 18 YO version I prefer the older age version, but I balk at spending over $130 a bottle for it, and I have a potent Tullibardine if I need a sherry fix.

I will give Glenfarclas a look, as I admit to ignorance in tasting it.
I had Glenmorangie a few weeks back at my nephew's wedding tasted OK, mind you I was half cut at the time, well maybe a little more than half cut but, it still tasted good.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Ralfy has recently been re-reviewing some of the better known whiskies (not coincidentally also some of the earliest he ever reviewed).

He noted that Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, Highland Park 12, as well as a recent batch of Aberlour A'bunadh, among others, have all declined, mostly due to the use of inferior casks.

This really burns me up, as those 4 along with Bruichladdich Ten (now discontinued and the distillery sold to Remy Cointreau) are probably my 5 favorite reasonably priced whiskies, but my bottles are all from at least 2 years ago.

From the Malt Maniacs list, I also have Balvenie 12 Doublewood, which I find rather boring, Laphroaig 10 (cask strength), which is a reet banger, and Bunnahabhain 12, which is a seriously high quality whisky.

Note that the latter is not that cheap Stateside, I found it on sale and it was still over $50, if I remember correctly.

If any of you find the Gordon & MacPhail Highland Park 8 year, snap it up, it's on sale for as low as $35(http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResults ... e=Contains) and is amazing - proof that quality of barrels and batch selection are as important as sheer age.
The Black Tot
Admiral

Post by The Black Tot »

Hassouni wrote:He noted that Talisker 10, Caol Ila 12, Highland Park 12, as well as a recent batch of Aberlour A'bunadh, among others, have all declined, mostly due to the use of inferior casks.
And I'm assuming if they're discovering this now, then they've been using these inferior casks for 12 years now, which means no relief in sight for another 12, even assuming they're wanting to do something to fix it. This IS a drag.

However, I have already made the decision to drop the Diageo brands (once the orphan barrel bourbons are done [they've got me by the curlies on those ones, because they're sitting on the stocks of 20 yr+ Bernheim Old Charter mashbill bourbon I enjoy]), of which Talisker and Coal Ila are, so I guess that makes the decision easier.
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Yes, exactly - the barrels must have been subpar 12 years ago...which is sort of odd, has the huge growth in demand for single malt been going on that long?

Diageo or no Diageo, I adore Caol Ila and Talisker. However, I've resolved to buy indie bottlings of them from now on. Which is tough for Talisker....much easier for Caol Ila.