Answer: "...to fill a huge gap in the whisky literature

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Uisge
Cap'n

Answer: "...to fill a huge gap in the whisky literature

Post by Uisge »

In the mode of Jeopardy, the response in the form of a question is:
Why has a new book about Canadian Whisky have the subtitle "The Portable Expert"?

Davin de Kergommeaux us the author of this gap filling tome, btw.
*Ducks out to avoid the impending blustery storm by the Cap'n about how Canadian whisky is faux, fake, suspect, etc, etc* :lol:
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

I hate to let you down...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Canadian whisky is faux, fake, suspect, etc, etc...

I don't mind the fake, faux part, it's the etceteras that do me in, lol. Thanks for the post - over the past couple years I've had a decent number of respectful exchanges with Davin, a gentleman whose palate I respect.

I repeat, a gentleman.

Accordingly, I'm looking forward to his book. But still, and I mean this sincerely, when a spirit is defined by regulation as being able to contain up to nearly 10% of added anything, including all manner of flavorings, wine, and the like - it's hard to take it seriously, unless...

Unless you're only goal is whether the concoction "tastes good".

The primary reason single malts are considered noble - and rum and Canadian whisky are not - is because single malts are by defninition, free of additives and adulterants. Many even avoid the allowable E-150 coloring and chill filtering.

Rum alters products under the table, while Canadian whisky at least does so legally. But the result is the same. Products that are suspect in terms of purity - and which fail to openly promote these alterations.

That's the elephant in the room, and why neither spirit can truly compete with glorious single malts, either in quality, respect or price. To be fair, I posted a brief and quite respectful comment at Davin's promo page (your link, above)...

To Davin: "Congratulations on your new book. The subject is, of course, a worthy one. That said, the elephant in the room - at least from a single malt perspective - is the fact that Canadian regulations allow up to close to 10% of all manner of additives, unlike single malts."

Such unlabeled additions are considered to be both what defines Canadian whisky and may also be its primary flaw, sad to say. This is not to say that pure and unadulterated Canadian whiskeys do not exist, but that such exceptional purity is hard to determine with confidence.

I do hope your book covers this issue in a way that we may better appreciate and understand the truth and potential of the spirit. At The Rum Project, it is fair to say we face the same issue with rum and to date, the same outcome..

Lack of knowledge and proper respect."
I anticipate his reply. Etc. etc...
Uisge
Cap'n

In defence of Canadian whisky

Post by Uisge »

If you aren't aware, o Cap'n, there is ONE Canadian single malt whisky that you should take a look at, as it is made per the limitations that the Scotch brethren have to follow for making their whisky (except for maturing in Scotland, 'natch), and the distiller is the Glenora Distillery.

In fact, they got in the cross-hairs of the Scotch Whisky Association in 2010, not for their product, but for using "Glen" in their name, despite clearly identifying their product as a "Canadian Single Malt Whisky Canadien"and having the Canadian "Maple Leaf" on the bottle.

Fortunately, Glenora won that battle in 2011 (yay for the underdog!), and celebrated by releasing a 15 year old special batch called Battle of The Glen.

I haven't tried any of their product, but I felt they should be presented as an example of what you think Canadian Whisky should be, and in fact is, even though it is the exception and not the rule.

There is another Canadian whisky (and a 100% rye, to boot) that I haven't tried, but have seen it and might even pull the trigger on getting a bottle (as opposed to pulling the trigger to put a hole in my head...like I NEED to buy another bottle of whisky! :lol: ), and I believe it is bottled in Oregon here in the USofA....

So maybe you need to check out 2 Canadian whiskies? :mrgreen:
Capn Jimbo

Yet more from the U-man...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The U-man speaketh...

And the rest of us listeneth, especially readers in Coconut Grove or Wilton Manors, lol. Believe it or not, Davin published my post - I told you he was a gentleman - and answered thusthly...
Davin:

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I am hoping that my book will finally put these misconceptions to rest.
With all due respect to Davin (who is more than worthy of same) he may be tipping his hand as to just how many Canadian whiskys are indeed pure. But the fact remains: if the regulations allow 9% of just about anything else but whisky - and if rum has any lesson for us - then you just know that these allowances will be taken advantage of. Here's why:

1. As all government regulations, most are the direct result of industry lobbying. This is as sure as the sun rises. The industry gets what they want -and if they want to be able use additives up to 9% - there is surely a reason.

Because they do alter.

2. Like product "rum", allowable additives rarely, if ever appear on the label. And mind you, 9% is a ton of additives. Even small amounts of sugar, sherry, or artificial flavors have a huge effect on the product.

3. Again like rum, there are but few distillers who make a point to declare their purity. A literal handful. Now from a marketing standpoint if a product is pure and unaltered you have a great selling point. No marketing department worth their shekels would hesitate for a microsecond to trumpet purity.

If they were.

Back to the U-Man and another of his fine and informative posts. The "Glen" conspiracy, lol, is really quite interesting. It goes without saying that the Scottish are exceedingly and rightfully protective of a very hard won and deserved reputation for their relatively pure and noble product.

Interlopers are not well tolerated, and Canookies Come Lately are not welcomed at the bar, especially when the term Glen really does imply production in Scotland. It's as close as you can get without saying "Scottish Whisky".

Let us be entirely honest here. A Canadian businessman by the name of Jardine - who lived near a place called Glenville, near Breton Falls in Nova Scoti - was so enthralled with Scottish whisky that he decided to build a distillery. He went so far as to travel to Scotland, and to seek help from Bowmore, who not only sold him the stills, but cooperated in teaching him how to use them in the Scottish manner.

The problem began when he named his distillery "Glenora", and especially later when the whisky produced was called "Glen Breton" - a completely made up name combiningthe names of Glenville and nearby Breton Falls.

No accident, and a slap in the face to his Scottish benefactors. I can only imagine the shock and dismay of those who worked so hard to help this fellow. Of course a lawsuit ensued and was won by Glenora, who also enjoyed the widespread and free publicity.

More later...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri May 11, 2012 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

A quick note re: this...
Interlopers are not well tolerated, and Canookies Come Lately are not welcomed at the bar, especially when the term Glen really does imply production in Scotland. It's as close as you can get without saying "Scottish Whisky".

Let us be entirely honest here. A Canadian businessman by the name of Jardine - who lived near a place called Glenville, near Breton Falls in Nova Scotia - was so enthralled with Scottish whisky that he decided to build a distillery. He went so far as to travel to Scotland, and to seek help from Bowmore, who not only sold him the stills, but cooperated in teaching him how to use them in the Scottish manner.

The problem began when he named his distillery "Glenora", and especially later when the whisky produced was called "Glen Breton" - a completely made up name combining the names of Glenville and nearby Breton Falls.
With the emboldened and underlined location to make this point...I'm sure you must appreciate the irony of the SWA fighting against a distillery in a region of Canada named "New Scotland", when translated from the Latin, yes? :roll: :lol:

No offense meant to you, dear Cap'n!
Capn Jimbo

Glen is as Glen does...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

As Sue Sea once said, how come all these rums are made by a guy named Ron?

The U-man has pointed out a delicious irony, made even tastier by the fact that the area was settled - and named by - uh, the French. As was the founder of faux Glenora. Go figure.

But back to "Glen". The term glen is about as close to Scotland - not the nuevo version - as you can get. According to the Wiki, Whitlow states the Scottish word "glen" means a deep valley in the Highlands of Scotland. Not Nova Scotia. A real glen is a very deep, glacier formed, U-shaped valley that is usually bottomed by a stream or river.

The Canadian Glenora distillery though surely quaint enough, lacks the proper topography. It's like a Florida distillery naming it's product Mountain Top Rum. This would be frivolous except for the knowing, bold and calculated "borrow" of a term revered by and native to both Scotland and their distillers.

A gentleman would ask. A rogue would just forge ahead and cop a feel. Has "Glen Breton" done this? At least one Canadian appellate court thought so...