A "must have" read, Derek Bell's "Alt Whiskey

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Uisge
Cap'n

A "must have" read, Derek Bell's "Alt Whiskey

Post by Uisge »

I was able to order this book, having given the good Cap'n a heads up about it back in February, after returning from a trip to Louisville, KY about a week ago, and lo and behold it arrived today!

It is impressive in that Derek has revealed quite a bit of what he has done at Corsair Artisan Distillery as far as the construction of the stills, Carter head and the smoke injector used to make their various whiskies and gins, plus he includes several mash bills used to produce said whiskies (everything including yeast strains, length of distilling time, temperatures) and there are a few listings for mash bills using grains other than wheat, rye, corn and barley, and even ways to use hops to add flavoring to the distillate via barrel finishing or by the use of "teas" of hops, much like how gins have infusions used to add flavorings.

The last section is written by Josh Habiger has cocktail recipes that interested even one such as I, who normally eschews "mixed drinks" (give me my whiskey, neat, and unadulterated, says I), all using Corsair distillates 'natch, but with luscious photography of the cocktail being presented.

Derek also answers very early on the legality of home-distilling on page 17, and I quote, "Home distilling is illegal in the US, period", but he does also mention that there is a legal way to obtain a distilling permit from the gub'mint via a "fuel ethanol permit", not that this is presented as a way around the required legal hoops in place to obtain a distillers permit. 'cause we all know the gub'mint HATES thieves, especially ones who don't pay their liquor taxes. But I digress...:wink:

The writing is very concise, and the photography is very appealing to the eye.

I didn't have the opportunity to drive down to their facility in Bowling Green, KY while I was on my short vacation, but I think planning a visit to it and the Corvette Museum is now gestating in the back of my mind (or making the trifecta of visiting the Jack Daniels Distillery, the Corsair Distillery and Taproom in Nashville, and Prichard's distillery in Kelso, TN).

Back to the book, this SHOULD be included in one's whisky library, and for $29.99 on Amazon I think it is money well spent.