Review: Johnnie Walker Red, Black & Green

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Johnnie Walker Red, Black & Green

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Review: Johnny Walker Red, Black & Green

I lied. This is not a review in the usual sense but more a comparison of the three Johnny Walkers available to the common man: the Red, Blue and the Green.

To be fair, this was a thrown together affair, as on this rainy Sunday we were ensconced in a series of old black-and-white, Hitchcock genre movies. In a particular scene, the bad guy goes to his bar and pours himself a JW Red, circa 1930. Recognizing the bottle (how's that for consistency), I quickly pulled out ours and waved it about. The movied ended and this led quite naturally to pulling out the Black and Green for a quickie comparison.

Johnnie Walker Red

To be fair, my first and last impression of the Red was long, long ago. A review might well have been done, but honestly this is not a business, posting is a pain, and many reviews end up hidden somewhere in a mound of old bills, magazines and stuff I'm gonna get to "...any day now".

(to be continued.)
NCyankee
Admiral

Post by NCyankee »

Just FYI - they recently discontinued the green label, so if you like it stock up.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

NCyankee wrote:Just FYI - they recently discontinued the green label, so if you like it stock up.
Yeah, it wasn't providing the "step-up" price-wise (how's THAT for marketing speak?:lol: ) to the JW Gold Label, and thence into the Blue Label, as Diageo hoped, apparently.

I have a bottle of the Green Label (and actually, bought a bottle a few months BEFORE it was "officially released" into the US market back in '05...Brand Ambassador Steven Beal wasn't to happy to hear how I got it when I asked when attending the Whisky Expo in SF), and honestly I haven't quite gotten my head around it. Not that it's bad, but there's a lot going on there.

Diageo is releasing a NAS Gold Label Reserve into the US soon, and a Platinum Label offering, the only difference in the latter and the current Gold offering is the name of the metal and that it is matured in American oak casks (although I'm not sure if THAT is different, either!).

I suppose I can bug Mr. Beal about it :wink:
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Speaking of JW Blue Label, some guy who thinks he can write interesting articles by name-dropping on the Huff Post recently had an article wherein JW Blue Label AND Christina Hendricks are in said post.

In fairness to all those making guttural noises in response to THAT bit of news, I bring you a photo from the Huffington Post article...although I fail to see ANY Johnnie Walker Blue Label in same :wink:

Hubba hubba!! *droooooooolz*