The elephant in the room, and it starts with a "B"

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Uisge
Cap'n

The elephant in the room, and it starts with a "B"

Post by Uisge »

And I'm not talking about "Bacardi", either.

What I AM referring to is "bourbon", and other than the mention of Pappy Van Winkle, which is way out of my price range and is way too rare anyway, there doesn't seem to be any interest in it on this site?

Or am I mistaken?

I've had the great experience of having a bottle of Buffalo Trace's excellent 2004 release of George T. Stagg Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (17 years old, 129 proof, uncut and unchill filtered, straight from the barrel), and when that one was emptied I was able to snag a 2009 release (141 proof! :shock: ) and a bottle of 17 YO Eagle Rare (also a Buffalo Trace Antique Collection bourbon that has a higher percentage of rye in the mash bill), and have on have as staples Wild Turkey Rare Breed (another high proof bourbon), the standard Buffalo Trace, Bulleit Bourbon (just for da'rum-D!!!! :lol: ), and Maker's Mark 46.

I got into whiskies in the early 2000's and started going to a Whisky Expo held in San Francisco in March for the better part of the decade, and starting with the second one I attended the main thing for me at that one was to learn about bourbons, what they are and what are good ones.

I still have much to learn regarding the former and latter, but having had the opportunity this past June to actually visit both the Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey distilleries I was able to see the great contrast between the tw osites as the Trace is an older, well established site with lots of history *and they were distilling that day!* while the Wild Turkey distillery was brand new, having been opened earlier in 2012, with a new bottling plant to be opened next year (Grupo Campari, having recently bought Austin Nichols is dumping plenty of $$ into WT and the Lawrenceburg economy, a good thing to my mind).

Anyhoo, what say y'all about America's contribution to brown liquor?
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Good on you and for good reason...

I agree. Bourbon for some reason takes a back set to single malts. Part of this may be due to the fact that there are few distilleries and less choice. Yet of all the spirits our American bourbon is the purest - with absolutely no additives, not even E-150. From my perspective the history and tradition is rich and interesting. Moonshining has a long and I say - honorable - history of the little guy fighting back against Prohibition.

One of our favorite people is the inimitable Phil Prichard whom we first met in Tampa at the Rum Queen's rumfest. Phil began with a homebuilt, uh hobby still. Think something on the order of 20 gallons, a common size for those who partake of this "hobby". Home distilling remains a much bigger thing than many know, what with our country full of grandparents "from the old country" for whom home distilling was part of daily living.

In Phil's case one of his most awarded products is his "Double Barreled Bourbon" which sells for around $60. I have a working relationship with Chuck Cowdery - another webmaster and brilliant author ("Bourbon Straight" and others) - and who isn't afraid to stand up against corporate spirit shenanigans).

Our experience with bourbon is limited - to a few bourbons of great repute, like Four Roses Small Batch and the Pappy 15 and 20. We've also experimented with Rye, yet another American classis (funny that Canadian "Rye" often contains none of it). So in way too many words...

Yes, agreed. Bring it on...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Bourbon is something I haven't really gotten into, in our young 'n' dumb days we guzzled Beam and made ourselves sick quite a few times and since then I've never given it a chance. I can't remember ever tasting a good bourbon. It's something I'd like to try.

Cheers for the D notation Uisge ;)
in goes your eye out
bearmark
Beermeister

My Current Favorite Bourbons

Post by bearmark »

I've still not had a dram of Pappy van Winkle bourbon, but I've got some more affordable and great bourbon whiskeys on my shelf. The first two that I would recommend are Knob Creek Single Barrel ($33) and Evan Williams Single Barrel 2002 Vintage ($22). KCSB is 120 proof, making it an even greater value, and it has great character and flavor. The EWSB is just amazing, considering the price. At more of a premium and with a lighter character, I would also recommend Angel's Envy ($40). It is finished in port casks and has a flavor profile that might appeal more to Scotch drinkers. Finally, there's the bold Booker Noe's 7 Year Small Batch ($39) at ~121-127 proof... a very flavorful bourbon with a lot of history (Booker Noe is Jim Beam's grandson) and one of a few that is uncut and unfiltered after being hand selected.

As an aside, I'd also recommend Bernheim Original Small Batch Wheat Whiskey ($22) as an excellent non-Bourbon American whiskey. It might help in distinguishing the characteristics of a wheated bourbon, such as Pappy van Winkle, as opposed to many other rye-forward bourbons.

I've got a bottle of 2012 William Larue Weller wheated bourbon waiting in the wings that will serve as my premium tasting at $70. While not a van Winkle bourbon, it's still a highly sought after and highly rated bourbon. I figure that this is a one shot deal for me and will serve for comparison purposes only, as I don't plan on spending $70/bottle for any whisk(e)y.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)