Highland Park 12 Year: An awakening...

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Highland Park 12 Year: An awakening...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's notable that your tastes change over time...

Going back a few years I decided to tentatively try single malt whiskys, based on two factors: reasonable in cost $45 or less and that showed well with Michael Jackson in his famous book of the same name, "Single Malt Scotch". I ended up with a starter selection which included Laphroig 10, Glenlivet 12, the MaCallan 12, an Aberlour Double Cask 12, Craggenmore 12, Ardbeg 10 and Highland Park 12. The Highland Park 12 was purchased rather early as it promised to be an "all rounder". Because of this it was one of my first purchases.

At that time I really enjoyed it. That was some years ago.

In time I came to really love the Laphroig 10 and Quarter Cask, with the Ardbeg as a special treat. With time, the Islays really caught our fancy, much as Pussers did for the rums - serious and lovely spirits. Which is not to say that sherried Abeflour Double Cask wasn't enjoyable when my sweet tooth was in charge. But back to the Highland Park 12. Recently I'd been alternating the Laphroig and Aberlour when I came upon the Highland Park hiding in the back and decided to revisit an early favorite

What a difference!

This time around it is true all the same all-around elements were there: smokey, sweet, floral, fruity, et al but something was missing! Where was the Highland that Jackson had described as "the greatest all-rounder in the world of malt whiskey... classic, smokiness, heather-honey, maltiness, smoothness, roundness, fullness of flavor and length of finish"?

Why did it taste so different this time?

This time I found it choppy and imbalanced, and not all that complex. Yes, the elements were there but instead of being an "all-rounder" it seemed more of a patchwork quilt of unrelated sensations. What I'd originally bought as a cheapskate desiring a good first experience had turned into a somewhat jarring experience. If I wanted sweet and sherry I would now prefer the Aberlour. If I wanted island peat and smoke, the Laphroig. Each does their job without compromise and well.

I immediately clicked up Whiskymag.com and searched on Highland 12, and found this reassuring review by Jackson which had appeared later:

Michael Jackson
Nose: Fresh toast, spread with Nutella.
Palate: Firm, smooth. Sweet, sherryish. Juicy oak. Salt.
Finish: Salt. Wind-blown heather.
Comment: I like the richness but lacks the balance, roundness and complexity of a great Highland Park.

Exactly! Of course I was disappointed that the 12 had lost favor with me, but was pleased that my palate had developed to the point that my impressions of choppiness were confirmed by Master Michael, not to mention Serge over at Whiskyfun.com. A good thing. I'm sure those more experienced that I have also noted that unlike rum, the number of single malt releases are many, and differ. It's a rich man's sport, without question.

My question to our whisky posters: what were/are your impressions of this Highland Park, and do please share your observations regarding the changes over the years...
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

If I have my time frame right, HP became quite rare in the late-90s, early 00s. I remember rumors of their closing and in an '04 tour, it was not to be found on shelves or in the pubs. It had been a favorite and is now ubiquitous after rarity. I can't say that I've tasted it recently. If ownership and/or principles changed since the hard times, ... Think Barbencourt since the quake - I'm ready to pour out my 2nd post-quake bottle of 8 yr.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

HP bottlings have changed quite a bit over the years, most notably the 18yo and the 25yo if you ask me.

Their bottlings were quite sherried in / around 2000, now much less so. More refill casks I am sure...the rich, heathery sweetness is more a dry honey variety these days.

The 18yo used to have that wild strawberry -rich flavour, now..it's ok.

Not only the sherry-level has dropped, but I am pretty sure that as with all whiskies, they no longer mix in quite the same ratio (if any) of older distillates than the label says (once a very common practice - there was no shortage of the whisky, as they made a lot in the 80's, and the "whisky loch" was full due to low consumption).

it is still a magnificent distillery, and their drams are very good indeed.