Daily Dram Dept: The Glenlivet 12

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Daily Dram Dept: The Glenlivet 12

Post by Capn Jimbo »

What makes a daily dram?

A good question and for once, lol, I don't know the answer. I really don't have a daily dram, but if I did the Glenlivet 12 would be on my short list. When you accumulate a lot of spirits a few things happen. In the case of rum you discover there's a ton of cheap (but not necessarily inexpensive) altered rums out there that served what turns out to be their one and only purpose...

A review.

And that you keep around for rare comparisons. Whisky is another story. Single malts and bourbon are truly noble spirits and relatively free of coloring and absolutely free of additives. Thus, almost all of them actually have redeeming qualities and in general, are much more rewarding than your average blended and altered column-stilled rum.

Yesterday was a tough one - home plumbing leak, anyone? At the end of a day of mopping leaks and cleaning out who-knows-what garp out of the pipes, then putting the whole damn thing back together again, a nice nightcap was in order, and not one that contains sugar. I wanted a nice spirit, not a candy bar.

So I took a look and my hand was drawn to the Glenlivet 12. A nice pour and socko! What a very pleasant, pleasing and lovely dram. Not too simple, but also not overly challenging. And I wasn't into Islay peat this night. Somehow the Glenlivet always pleases, and you don't feel guilty drinking it at what is usually a very fair price for this level of pleasure.

A candidate for the short list. What's your take on this malt?
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

The Glenlivet 12 YO is a benchmark Speyside for the reason of what you experienced, it IS a lovely, simple and consistent dram. Not heavy, rather light, floral, a hint or smoke that one has to search for, and still satisfying.

On my 1st trip to Scotland, 'lo over 10 years ago now, a stop was made at the distillery, and if memory serves me, it was not long after the change in ownership to Pernod Ricard after being in the Seagram's universe (and thereby preventing it from falling into Diageo's mitts).

Very lovely place to be on a bright August day, and there were samples of the 12 YO, the 15 YO French Oak, and the 18 YO if memory serves me.

Anyhoo, I had been given a bottle of the 12 YO for Christmas over a year ago by a co-worker and I had forgotten just HOW GOOD it is, and upon realizing that I felt stupid for not filling that gap in my collection sooner.

And besides, oh Cap'n, one can't drink peaty Islays or heavy Jamaican or Bajan rums ALL the time....moderation in all things distilled spirits and cigars, yes? :wink: