Links of Note Dept: Whisky Science

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Links of Note Dept: Whisky Science

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For those who enjoy the nuts and bolts...

Check out "Whisky Science... Bits of information about Scotch single malt whisky, its production, history and chemistry"... (here).

Nice stuff, borrowing from many sources and listing (but sadly not linking) them. Still, Mr. Google can sure be prevailed upon. A page I especially liked...

1. Article about flavor wheels (I'm a collector)...
http://whiskyscience.blogspot.com/2011/ ... heels.html

2. Triple distillation in Scotland, with flow charts! (da'rum and U-man will love this one...
http://whiskyscience.blogspot.com/2012/ ... tland.html

Enjoy. Absolutely worth a visit...
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Very interesting, but your supposition was in error, mon frére. :D

I found the aromatic/flavor wheels more interesting ...not that triple distilled Scotch was not interesting as I knew Auchentoshan was one of if not THE only triple distilled whisky East of Ireland.

For me, and especially after visiting Serge's Whiskyfun site, I am amazed at the panoply of things one can find in a glass of whatever distilled spirit. And to a little extent I am at a disadvantage with some of the descriptors as I've either never had the item or I do not like the item described (nuts are one example).
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Uisge wrote:Very interesting, but your supposition was in error, mon frére. :D

I found the aromatic/flavor wheels more interesting ...not that triple distilled Scotch was not interesting as I knew Auchentoshan was one of if not THE only triple distilled whisky East of Ireland.
The now defunct (since 1993) Rosebank did triple distillation in its days. Experiments apart , there's been other Scottish Lowland distilleries that used triple distillation. Then again, many Irish whiskey distilleries have been using double distillation during their history, most notably perhaps Bushmills. Cooley's uses double distillation even today in Ireland.