Irish Whisky: Bear reviews Redbreast

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
bearmark
Beermeister

Irish Whisky: Bear reviews Redbreast

Post by bearmark »

St. Patrick's Day is upon us and I've decided to give it a go. I'm purchasing my first Irish whisky today. The only Irish whisky that I've tasted is Jameson and I was totally unimpressed. After much research, I've decided to go with a single malt rather than a blend and I've settled on Redbreast 12 Year as my inaugural purchase. Others in the running were, Michael Collins 10 Year and Connemara Peated Single Malt (preferably the Cask Strength offering), which I still may try after the Redbreast experience. I'll post a follow-up after St. Paddy's Day. In the meantime, what do you think of Irish whisky and what is your favorite?
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
bearmark
Beermeister

Redbreast 12 Year Single Potstill

Post by bearmark »

Well, I successfully secured a bottle of Redbreast 12 Year for $45 from Spec's. I had a long discussion about whisky with their resident expert, who informed me that Redbreast is not a Single Malt Irish Whisky, but rather a Single Potstill Irish Whisky (i.e. potstilled Irish whisky from a single distillery). The Connemara is a (peated) single malt, so I got that one right. Interestingly enough, when I asked him about the Connemara single malt, he said it was good but added that if he were looking for a good single malt, he wouldn't be looking at Irish whisky. :wink: He did confirm Redbreast 12 Year as a very good choice and his favorite Irish whisky (even better than the 15 year).

In any case, I found this quote on the Midleton Distillery site:
Made from a mash of malted and unmalted barley, which is then triple distilled in traditional copper pot stills, Pot Still Irish Whiskeys are characterised by full, complex flavours and a wonderful, creamy mouthfeel.

Because of the unmalted barley, they're not allowed to refer to it as a single malt (i.e. whisky from malted barley produced at a single distillery).

I'm pretty excited about this one! Jim Murray, in his Whisky Bible 2013, picked the Cask Strength offering as his Irish Whisky of the Year. It also consistently wins Gold or Double Gold at SFWSC and received a 93 rating from Wine Enthusiast in 2012. Sadly, Cap'n Jimbo and Sue Sea haven't yet weighed in on this one, but I'll see if I can't apply some pressure via this posting. :P

Tasting notes will follow next week.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Thank you Bear!

Turns out that because I am close to fanatical about pure and pot stilled spirits, and because Sue Sea's extended family is Irish, it was a given that we'd have a modest selection of Irish Whisky in the house. Inexorably this led to the purchase of Red Breast 12, and it was/is smashing!

We'll eagerly await your notes...
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

Aagh . . . $60 here. Need to pass for now.
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Good choice, Bear. I've enjoyed the (now standard) 12 YO RedBreast for the better part of a decade since discovering it early in my whisky/whiskey education.

Although I have not had it yet, I have heard even better things of the 12 YO CASK strength RedBreast which came out recently.

My other option for today would be a pair of Knappogue Castle Single Malts (the 1992 Vintage and the 15 YO vatting of Cooley sourced 1990, 1991 and 1993 Vintages).

Beginning with the 1993 Vintage on forward through the now 12 YO age statement bottling Knappogue, Bushmills is the supplier.
Slainte!
jankdc
Cap'n

Post by jankdc »

Well I can get the Knappogue 12 here for $40, much more affordable. Unfortunately, since you say that Bushmill's produces it, I won't get it because Diageo owns Bushmills.

Any other Irish Wisky to try that won't break the bank?
Rum Reviews Rankings and Cheat Sheet
References: MGXO, R Mat. GR, Scar Ibis, Apple 12, Barb 5, Pusser's, Wray and Neph, ED 15, 10Cn, West Plant, R Barc Imp.
bearmark
Beermeister

Redbreast 12 Tasting

Post by bearmark »

Well, this is old news now, but I did get around to posting my tasting notes for Redbreast 12 Year Old Single Potstill Irish Whisky. You can read my tasting notes here. I can tell you in a few words that this is a nice, solid whisky. It doesn't stand up to several other whiskys/whiskeys I've had in several other categories, but it's the best Irish whisky I've tasted. At some future data I plan on purchasing a bottle of their cask strength version for comparison. I can definitely recommend this one to my rum (and whisky/whiskey) compadres.
Mark Hébert
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

Redbreat 12yo was for a long time my favorite Irish tipple. It is of excellent quality, and I always admired the finish, which left a taste not unlike brekkie orange marmalade lingering on my palate.

Around 2006 - 2007 there was a limited release of 15yo, unchillfiltered Redbreast, bottled at 46% strength. This was much like a supercharged 12yo, because all the familiar flavours were there, only much stronger! Absolutely amazing stuff. Later on the 15yo was again released, but the bottling failed to deliver such fireworks on the palate. It is a very good whiskey nevertheless.

The 12yo has sadly changed also a little, and not for the better. D not get me wrong here, it is still a fab whiskey, but a little duller, and that orange marmalade is almost gone now.

Compared to the basic Jameson, this is 10 times better, and richer in flavour. If you want to find a great Jameson, try the 18yo and be surprised, as it is a really great Irish whiskey!