John Glaser Dept: Can this man do anything wrong? Nope.

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

John Glaser Dept: Can this man do anything wrong? Nope.

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Today: John's "Asyla", malt and grain blended whisky...

In the world of rum, I'm a huge fan of Richard Seale (even though lately he's chickened out on taking a position against the USVI subsidies, which I KNOW hurt him). In the world of whisky it's Dave Broom, Michael Jackson and - John Glaser of Compass Box. For those who may not be aware, John has become highly respected as an artist of blending. He seeks out and finds unique and inspirational malts and buys very selectively. He does just the same with his cooperage.

A true artist.

His "Asyla" was his effort to show that a fine and unique blend (of single malts and grain whiskys) could be just as exciting as a good single malt. In this he succeeded. His Asyla was named for the plural of asylum - at least that's what the Masters of Malt want you to believe. No matter, we've been suffering the early Spring effects of global warming as the flowering trees are going mad. The result: sinus drainage, sneezing and and sore throats. A good whisky or two is exactly what the doctor would order, and so we did.

A mutual review:

"Asyla is delivered in a tall, thick based and tapering cylinder of clear glass, with one of John's tasteful and informative labels. From it we learn this whisky is unfiltered and uncolored, no additives whatever. The whiskies were assembled from Elgin, Longmorn, Ballindalloch (the malts), and Fife (the grain whisky). Aging and marrying in first fill American oak and "rejuvenated hogsheads". John's notes - unlike most labels - are honest and believable:
"Delicate flavours of vanilla cream, cereals and sweet oakiness"
Tempting? Sure, but believe us the whole is far greater than the sum of its parts, nothing new for John's Compass Box. This spirit is a light, light yellow and very slightly cloudy. The nose is smashing: pecan and grain with overtones of vanilla, or maybe just the reverse - and with hints of the fruit and spices to follow.

The palate opens with a creamy sweet vanillan, moving into medium fruits (think melon, peach and mango) - sweetness throughout - and moving into the woody hot spices - clove, black and finally pleasantly stinging white pepper. Mistress, may I have another, please?

Yowza! This is like no blended whisky we've ever had. Light but rich, not overly simple, not terribly complex but just somehow right. This whisky is all about balance: sweet with heat, fruit with grain, lighness with body. This good friends is the essence of the art of blending. Sue Sea's first impression was of a fine cane juice and/or cachaca (like JM White or Mae de Oro). It is also a whisky any real lover of fine pure rums would also like. Asyla is praised by all.

Nice work, John - no - fantastic work. Thank you...