Review: Bulleit "95" Rye Whiskey

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...

How do you rate Bulleit 95 Straight Rye Whisky (5 is best)?

No votes
100%
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 1

Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Review: Bulleit "95" Rye Whiskey

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Bulleit "95" Rye American Whiskey: The Real Deal

We are all aware that Canadian Rye Whisky - in many cases - doesn't even use rye. How is this? It really goes back to Prohibition when the "good stuff" was smuggled in to serve the upper class who demanded real spirits and were willing and able to pay up to 20 times the pre-Prohibition prices. The rest of the populace - the real people - had to make to with moonshine and bathtub gin. Canadian Rye was then really made from fermented rye to the point that "rye" became a synonym for Canadian Whisky.

Today CW is a vague shadow of what it was, and now amounts to CWS (Canadian Whisky Spririts) - a near vodka - flavored up with small amounts of other "flavouring whiskys" and anything goes - up to 9.9% by volume. A mixed drink in a bottle, the Spam of Spirits. The Canadian regs - in a spirit of teary eyed reminiscence - still allows these concoctions to be called "Rye" - whether it contains any or not.

Not Bulleit

Bulleit is 95% rye and is delivered in a no-nonesense, classic flask-like bottle that means business. It is bottled at a flavorful 90 proof, and is clearly labeled "Straight 95% Rye Mash Whiskey". Powerful appearance, powerful spirit.

(Interruption ... stay tuned)
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bearmark
Beermeister

WhistlePig Straight Rye 100%

Post by bearmark »

I have a bottle of WhistlePig Straight Rye, which is made from 100% rye mash. Ironically, it's distilled in Canada (but it's bottled in Vermont). It's aged for 10 years and bottled at 100 proof and received a 96 point rating from Wine Enthusiast (highest ever for a whiskey). They recently started offering their "TripleOne," which is aged 11 years and bottled at 111 proof. Since then, they've started referring to the original offering as "100/100." I'm not aware of too many 95-100% rye whiskeys. I'm looking forward to your review.
Mark Hébert
Rum References: Flor de Caña 18 (Demeraran), The Scarlet Ibis (Trinidadian), R.L. Seale 10 (Barbadian), Appleton Extra (Jamaican), Ron Abuelo 12 (Cuban), Barbancourt 5-Star (Agricole)
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

OK, here goes...

Rum was King, so to speak during the formative years of our country, only to be replaced by rye whisky. It never fully recovere. In reviewing this rye it really does make sense why this happened. Simply, the profile of rye is remarkably similar to a good aged and unaltered rum. Let's start with Sue Sea...

Sue Sea:

Jim had tried twice to review this rye but the Boston Marathon bombing interceded. Like most Americans we were glued to the telly and a tasting wasn't remotely even considered. Finally we felt a break was in order and the tasting proceeded.

Bulleit 95 Rye is delivered in a lovely and classic squashed bottle that resembles a large flask. The rye's name is molded into the clear glass and the bottle carries a purposely slightly slanted old-tyme label. At first pour we were both presented with a lovely rich aroma even before we started. Before I even knew this was a rye, I was presented with a nose of sweet pecan, a slightly caney/reed similar to a good cane juice rum, a bit of peach, vanillan and an aroma of toasted rye bread - warm, with melted butter. Way below was a just a tiny touch of smokey peat.

The early palate was dry (like an oak aged Chadonnay), but then exploding with not just a little intensity releasing a growing heat and spices - ginger, clove and a light honey. The end palate and finish features a hot, hot white peopper, long and glowing.

This rye is quite fine and a great rye whisky, very drinkable and a good introduction to whisky in general I have to say. It is so well integrated that it romances you in the sense it entices you to take yet another sip of exploration. It was a delicious treat, lovely.
Me: I have enjoyed this rye for several days now. Bulleit 95 Rye presented as a brilliant light amber, with fast legs and thin yellow/green edge. It presented as spicy sweet rye - think clove - very rich and with a surprising lack of alcohol prickle despite its 90 proof. The early palate reveals a spirit of light to medium body, sweet and with a notable and growing white pepper/jalapeno heat, with a later appearance of dryness and leather. The finish was pure white pepper over a mildly persistent sweet. Sue Sea's finding of well-integrated is well deserved, with an interesting balance of light and naturally sweet with both heat and with leather dryness, and lightish body with an overall sensation of richness

This rye presents with rich power. It is no wonder why rye replaced rum in this regard. Bulleits aging in charred oak has produced notable spices, sweet and light smoke that produce a very well done, pure spirit. Terrific and worth every centivo. Buy it.

Score (ten is best): Solid 8.

Special Note: to date we have avoided scoring spirits other than rum on the basis that unlike the faux reviewers, we haven't felt really competent in this category. Consider this scoring tentative please...