Glendronach 21: Parliament

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Bearman
Cabin Boy

Glendronach 21: Parliament

Post by Bearman »

This is a review from the time where the only spirit I consumed was whisky. Glendronach is still one of my favourite distillers because of their lovely sherried whisky. The 21 year old was, and still is, my celebration whisky. Next time I open it will probably be after my final exam. The review:

Nose: Initially i got this very spicy note, complimented by the sherried jammy sweetness, that i have come to love in my GlenDronachs.

Palate (with water): Prunes, a lot of vanilla, some fudgy notes and perhaps a touch of cinnamon.

Finish: Blackcurrant jam, and at the end some spicy peppery notes.

All-in-all a delightfull whisky. But beware: this is a sherry-monster, and there are sulphury notes present, but to me they aren't offputting. This whisky is so rich in it's taste, that it can seem overwhelming at first, but once you get to know it, it is a rewarding experience. This still is one of my favourites. 9/10 :D
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

The 21yo Parliament is indeed a great Scotch single malt whisky for the lovers of sherried whiskies.

I bought a bottle recently, and did not notice any sulphur in the palate - then again, each batch probably varies somewhat in taste.

Out of the core range of 12yo, 15yo, 18yo and 21yo, my personal choice is always the 18yo. It is luxuriously rich, leathery, "old sherried style" whisky - not the easiest or most freshly sherried in the lot (15yo appeals to many, due to it's sweet, strawberried fresh sherry -character), but instead something darker and more complex.

Whilst many whiskies have decreased sadly in quality, as the distilleries are working overtime & superspeed to produce enough whisky to satisfy demand, Glendronach, under the supervision of the Walker family, has made a phenomenal increase in quality, if you ask me. They have also done a wonderful job in promoting this previously rather unknown-to-many distillery. A for product, A for efforts - Great stuff indeed!!!
Bearman
Cabin Boy

Post by Bearman »

JaRiMi wrote:Out of the core range of 12yo, 15yo, 18yo and 21yo, my personal choice is always the 18yo. It is luxuriously rich, leathery, "old sherried style" whisky - not the easiest or most freshly sherried in the lot (15yo appeals to many, due to it's sweet, strawberried fresh sherry -character), but instead something darker and more complex.
I did unfortunately never try the 18yo, but the octarine (8 yrs), 12 and 15 years old were to my liking as well as 21. It is interesting to see how the different types of sherry and the aging influence on the taste.. At some point I am going to have to try the 18yo, but right now my main focus is on rum.