Whiskey Review: Redbreast 12

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Whiskey Review: Redbreast 12

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Redbreast 12: an Irish triumph

The history of Irish whisky is just as rich as that of Scotland. Like Scotland there was an ongoing battle between the moonshiners that made "poteen" and the "Parlimentary" or government approved distillers. In the end it's all about taxes, aye? Simplistically speaking, the presumptive differences are that:

1. Whiskey (Irish) vs Whisky (Scots)

2. Triple distilled (Irish) vs double-distilled.

When disillation was liberalized in 1823, all hell broke loose and Jameson got serious, distilling huge quantiies of Irish whiskey in massive pot stills. Scotland took great issue and like the Diageo of today, hardly played fair. The Scots proceeded to buy up and actually destroy many of Ireland's grain farms. The Brit in support refused to buy Prohibition product from Ireland. And of all entities, the Irish PM made exports illegal and raised taxes.

This was devastating and left but three distilleries which were all finally merged into one: the Irish Distillers Ltd. As per the Wiki, things almost miraculously turned around and three distillers were reestablished: Bushmill's, Cooley & Kilbeggan and Irish Distillers, the latter making Jamesons, Powers, Paddy and...

Redbreast. All are made at New Midleton, and ID is owned by Pernod.

The ID uses the following to produce a wide variety of distillates: 3 column stills, and four pots stills (2 wash, 1 feint, 1 spirit). In about 1980 they also got very, very serious about wood. They make 4000 new sherry casks, and established solid arrangements for bespoke casks of madiera and port as well. Redbreast is a pure pot still, triple-distilled spirit based on primarily malted barley and is bottled in bond. Rum take note.

Basta! The reviews...

Sue Sea:
Although in general I'm not a huge whisky fan, I surely am for specific products. And in either case, I know a good spirit when I taste one. Redbreast 12 rings my bells, but don't tell Jim. It is delivered in the kind of squat, green glass classic bottle that I love, featuring a lovely parchment label, with a quiet and elegant deep red and gold type face, balanced by a deep red neck strap and mahogany wood capped cork. The impression is quaint and rich.

The nose was just lovely, opening with a nice deep leather, over very ripe peach nectar, and hints of vanillan and orange citrus. Had Jim told me this was a fine and pure, well-aged rum I could have been fooled. The early palate is honeylike, not heavy, but divinely and lightly sweet. It was like biting into a baclava, rich and chock full of sweet nuts like pecans, and brown sugar in a growing richness. In the back palate, all came together in an integrated sweet/heat, harmonious and pastrylike Time for another sip. And then?

Heat. Good balancing heat. Think clove and a bit of ginger and cinnamon. The glowing finish was a bit warmer yet, of cinnamon over a fading clove, and white pepper in what I'd describe as a kick, then fade to a light and residual lip glow.

Although this spirit will be enjoyed at any time, to me the Redbreast 12 seems perfect for after a meal. It is certainly one to share with good friends or guests. But don't give it to them too early, or they won't leave!
Moi: Redbreast 12 is a treasure. Although $56 wouldn't bother most whisk(e)y lovers, we are but poor and ordinary fellow travellers. I found this for about $36, would I only do so again! Redbreast 12 is one of those few spirits that you appreciate so much that you ration it, to try to save it forever. Were that only so, as well.

Redbreast 12 presents as an uncolored spirit shoud: a nice medium gold with a proper green edge. The opening aroma is richly aromatic, a deep orangey tar (think MGXO) with distant vanillan - a very rumlike presentation (assuming a truly fine rum). The palate opens with a light honey in both taste and consistency, with a bright orange then flowing into toward a lightly astringent leather-honey-orange and a nicely spicy clove finish, becoming a black pepper. Sue Sea's "kicking" finish is appropriate and adds a nice punctuation mark to the experience.

Integrated, skilfully distilled and aged with distinction. If you can afford it, buy it. If you can't, beg one for a gift or simply steal it. I'm serious. My only criticism: Redbreast 12 is delivered at 40 proof - another 3 or 4% would be greatly appreciated. There is also a 15 year which is generally even better regarded, but only intermittently available.

There's a lot of history in this bottle. Redbreast 12 is one I would steal again...

Score (ten is best): marginal 9.
Uisge
Cap'n

Re: Whiskey Review: Redbreast 12

Post by Uisge »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Redbreast 12: an Irish triumph

My only criticism: Redbreast 12 is delivered at 40 proof - another 3 or 4% would be greatly appreciated.
[/u].
Oh Captain, dear Captain, why have wishes that are on such a small scale? Dream big, my good man!

Like 57.7%, aka Cask Strength!

Review per Whisky Magazine from their 2013 Whiskies of the World edition, with this baby being awarded gold (out of 3 Gold Awards given).
sailor22
Quartermaster

Post by sailor22 »

The cask strength is like the regular 12 on steroids, and with an attitude. Great stuff for sipping.
JaRiMi
Admiral

Post by JaRiMi »

I just recently returned from taking a group of 9 whiskey tourists around Ireland. Our tour was made possible with the aid of Mclean Scotland - a Scottish tour organizer, with roots in Ireland also.

In a week's time we visited nearly all the possible places to see how whiskey is/was made in the green island.

There are some misconceptions when it comes to Irish whiskey, and many of these are due to heavy-handed marketing stories invented in the last 40 years.

A) Irish whiskey was always made with no peat smoke. NOT TRUE. Hundreds of years ago small-production most certainly would have used peat fire to dry the barley. Smokiness in whisky is caused by this process. In 19th century, anthracite and coal started to be used, thus giving an option to make unpeaty/non-smoky whisky. But it would be wrong to say Irish whiskey was never-ever smoky - and today Connemara whiskey is also smoky, as it uses malted barley dried with peat smoke.

B) One is about the triple distillation: Many would like us to believe that all Irish whiskey has always been triple-distilled. NOT TRUE. When Alfred barnard visited Irish distilleries in late 19th century, at least 8 out of 28 existing distilleries in the country were using double distillation, including Bushmills. Nowadays Cooley's continues with double distillation, making the wonderful Kilbeggan and Connemara for example this way. Bushmills switched to triple distillation sometime in the 20th century.

C) Irish Whiskey, not whisky - well, the extra e was added to be different from Scottish whisky - so again, it's not due to some very old tradition really..

What is clear is that in the 19th century, Irish whiskey was a phenomenally big and successful business, and production was on a whole different scale from that of their Scottish counterparts. The museums that are open today are testimonies to this pre-column still, pre-prohibition golden era of Irish whiskey, showcasing magnificent Victorian time whiskey factories, with gigantic stills, and massive steam engines brought onsite.

Middleton in Cork: A museum tour, not allowed to see the actual Middleton distillery at work (which has pot stills and a large column still, for making grain whiskey). Fantastic museum where the old days glory of Irish whiskey can be sensed in the scale and magnitude of the old buildings and equipment. Current makers of Jameson, Powers, Middleton, Redbreast, etc.

Kilbeggan: A museum, but does make small amounts of whiskey onsite also with small pot stills. The whisky warehouse, not unlike an airplane hangar, is an oddity. Beautiful place, great whiskeys to enjoy, and a nice restaurant also. Kilbeggan, Tyrconnel, Connemara - all made at the Cooley's production plant, which unfortunately is no longer open to visitors (since Jim Beam Brands bought the place).

Tullamore: Old warehouse in the premises where the distillery once was. Lovely museum tour, and I am very impressed by their warehouse reserve whiskey. Only Irish whiskey to contain malt, pure pot still, and grain whiskey as a blend.

Slane Castle: A gorgeous, old castle in a beautiful settings of lush green forest. Has their own whiskey blend made at Cooley's, but now is looking to build their own distillery.

Bushmills. Something very special on this tour, a working distillery where visitors are welcome. Gorgeous place!!! Wonderfully fruity new make, totally different from Scottish counterparts. Must be the ingredients (??), and the current triple distillation. Wonderful whiskies.

I'd recommend Peter Mulryan's book "The Whiskey's of Ireland" to anyone really interested in this topic of Irish whiskey.