Comparison: Ardbeg 10yo old vs. new/current

What is feckin whiskey doing on the net's leading independent rum website? There's a reason, read on, but it's not my fault! Honest...
JaRiMi
Admiral

Comparison: Ardbeg 10yo old vs. new/current

Post by JaRiMi »

Some time ago I had the opportunity to taste a few times side by side just opened bottles of the Ardbeg 10yo - the current version, as well as an older one, from 2006 I believe it was. CHRIST what a difference!!!!!!! The old one won in every way six - nil.

Without going too much into details, the current bottling seemed in nose and taste younger than it's age statement says. I DO believe the age statement, but - the taste & nose is raw, with notes of pear and raw apple, "new-makish", and harsh. Taste is dry, simple, straight-forward, and again with the only fruity notes found being raw apples and pears. Blind-tasting, I'd easily think the whisky is 5 years old or less. Finish leaves ashy notes in the mouth.

Old Ardbeg 10yo is much more profound with depth of flavours, and nose. Good, mature fruit, much less dry than current version, great palate, balanced, tastes much older - older than it's 10yo statement suggests (most likely contains older distillates in generous amounts). Pleasant, smoky finish, again real smooth and lingering. No ashy notes.

Oh dear, it would seem that with the current "frenzy" built around Ardbeg, they have pushed the production capacity to max, at a cost to quality. Either that or the cask selection isn't the best...

Taking Kilchoman's Machir Bay (which is a mix of 3, 4, and 5 yo whisky) side by side, I actually prefer the Kilchoman, and it seems around the same maturity in flavour as the Ardbeg...!

Lucky I stocked the old Ardbeg 10's away when they were still available. I know a lot of the youngster's will never taste the "real McCoy", and rave & rant about Ardbeg in every bar in town, but - I've seen many a blind tastings, and Ardbeg 10yo is always left in bottom 20% in them by the same fans. Funny...

The new "Ardbog" release was tempting, and I have tried it. Disappointing. Rubbery, blunt, dry. "Galileo" was even worse, sharp and stingy almost hidden wine notes - and basic ten's dry, direct ashy notes.

When will we get the next great Ardbeg?

I miss the old days, and older greats like Airight Nam Beist 1990 vintage, Lord of the Isles, basic ten in it's older true form, and of course the 1977, 1978 and 1975 vintages.

If you can, do make the test and see what you think!
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Pre and post takeover...

Yet another example of the Walmartization of spirits, led by Diageo. One of the world's great tasters - Serge of Whiskyfun - has tasted over 300 Ardbeg's. Insofar as the current 10yo goes, he had this to say:

Serge: "I think this is an easier, simpler and gentler dram than the Ten that we all know well, even at cask strength. As if their will was to make it kind of more ‘approachable’ to the general public. But it’s still a lovely dram, no doubt about that."
His article, entitled "TASTING - ARDBEG 10yo, A SHORT VERTICALE", though published in 2008, still is a fair comparison of pre vs post, and indicates the beginning of the end, is here:
http://www.whiskyfun.com/archivejuly08-2.html#170708

A good read!

Flat Ass Bottom Line

Woe are fine spirits.

The takeover by the mega-conglomerates and their unceasing push for increased sales and profits is felt in every quarter. Their marketing is able to create large sales increases that upset the proven timetable and available reserves, leading to degradation. Prime stocks are stretched or depleted. In the case of rum, origin and style are being replaced by brand loyalty. For example Bacardi - long associated with Puerto Rico - sells so much rum that they buy bulk container loads from all over the Caribbean, origin be damned and all column-based (not to mention additives and flavorings) in amounts and ways designed to subjugate the distillers they will either take over or drive out of business.

Call it "Jamaican Black" mail.

Even single malts fall prey to profit making, as ever fewer of us remember what the real stuff was all about...