Casing and additives

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Casing and additives

Post by da'rum »

(Lifted from here; http://pipedia.org/wiki/Pipe_Tobaccos)

Q&A with G.L Pease who is a big wheel in American Tobacco blending. These are the two broadest subdivisions of pipe tobaccos, although often the distinctions are blurred.

Cased Tobacco?

Q: "I keep hearing about "cased" tobacco. What does this mean?"

G.L. Pease Answers: There are two things of interest here, namely "casing" and "top flavouring." They are two distinctly different approaches to altering a blend's flavor. Some tobaccos employ both.
Casing requires that the tobacco be sprayed with or soaked in a "sauce" that may contain sugar, molasses, liquorice, alcohols like rum or whiskey, and various flavourings, natural or otherwise, depending on the manufacturer. Once the tobacco "drinks" the sauce, it's conditioned in large cylinders that dry it back to the desired moisture level, generally between 12% (on the dry side) and 22% (very moist). Optimal moisture for smoking depends on the smoker, but it's generally in the 13-16% range. The aromas and flavours imparted by casing will remain in the tobacco pretty tenaciously, and will affect the smoke throughout the bowl.

Top-flavouring is added by spraying the finished blend with scents and flavourings. This is a much lighter application, and doesn't alter the moisture content of the leaf dramatically. Sometimes called "top-notes," this can be quite ephemeral. Because of the volatile nature of many of the commonly used components, a tobacco left to "air out" may lose a lot of the perfume that's applied this way.

Depending on the casing used, tobaccos can become very sticky. Some producers use humectants to maintain a specific moisture level in the final product. You'll hear people talk about PG, or propylene glycol, the most commonly used humectant these days. It's generally spoken of in rather disparaging terms, thought it's not the PG that deserves the condemnation, but the blending houses who use it with reckless abandon. If the tobacco won't dry out, PG is likely the culprit. In small quantities, it does its job well. In large quantities, it produces a sticky, wet smoking, pipe clogging weed that should never see the inside of a pipe.
Not all flavoured tobaccos are cased, and casing is not always a bad thing, but the term is used incorrectly more often than not, so a lot of confusion has been created.

Myths About Casing
I only smoke uncased tobaccos.

G.L. Pease Answers: In fact, very few tobaccos on the market today are not cased to some extent. Casing is the process of adding sugars and flavouring agents before the leaf is further processed. The raw leaf is soaked or sprayed with a heavy solution of sugars and flavourings like liquorice, vanilla, molasses, tonquin, and so on. The amount of sauce absorbed by the leaf depends on the method of application, the structure of the leaf, and the length of time the leaf is in contact with the sauce before further processing. The leaf is then processed as usual. It can be conditioned and cut, or pressed and held to allow further fermentation. It can be heated, steamed, toasted, or just allowed to “bulk” in the atmosphere.

Raw tobacco, especially burley, usually doesn't taste very good, and can have poor smoking characteristics. Very few smokers have ever experienced tobaccos that do not have SOME sort of casing applied. It's not the casing that turns smokers of “pure” tobacco off; it's the excessive use of flavourings. When used delicately, they can enhance the flavour of the tobacco itself. When used heavily, as in most American style aromatic tobaccos, they can overpower the underlying tobacco flavours.

Q: So, are your tobaccos cased?

A: Some of the leaf we use is cased by the primary processor according to our specifications. In some cases, we do additional casing before blending. So, the answer is yes. It's an important and necessary tool and sometimes a first-step in providing the best possible smoking experience, and that's what it's all about, right?

Q: I don't smoke flavoured tobaccos...

A: Again, almost all tobaccos sold are flavoured. Again, raw tobacco is not always the most pleasant thing to smoke, so it might need a little help. Flavourings can be applied with the casing, or after processing, in which case they are known as top-dressings. The difference is subtle, but important. Top dressings provide specific aromas in the tin, but tend to dissipate or flame off when the tobacco is smoked, or even just allowed to air out. The flavourings in the casing is deeper in the leaf, fully absorbed, and is therefore less ephemeral. As with so many things, the dose makes the poison. Just as a little salt can enhance a dish without making it salty, the right amount of flavouring can enhance the taste of the tobacco without overpowering it.

Q: So, you do use flavourings?

A: Of course. In addition to subtle flavouring agents in the casing sauces, we do, in some cases, add a top dressing as well. We use natural products. Some of the blends are topped with rum, brandy or whisky. Others have additional natural flavours added. If you're asking the question, we must be doing it right.
END

Don't get the wrong idea here, there are a lot of tobacco blends that have only a light sugar casing that creates a smooth pleasant experience. There are a few brands however that are mainly heavy aromatics that go all out with the casing and flavouring goop.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But my impression is that good cigar tobaccos - though pretty much hand grown, tended, graded, selected and fermented - use no additives whatever. And can taste pretty good. Here the interviewee stated "...Raw tobacco, especially burley, usually doesn't taste very good, and can have poor smoking characteristics.".

If my impressions are true, then why is the "uncased" pipe tobacco not pleasant? Is it because cigars use more expensively prepared or different tobaccos?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Good question, I'll get back to you. I've been smoking a pipe for about 12 months (I think) so can't answer it off the top of my head but I can find the answers. TBC....
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

So the god ol' EU to the rescue, EU regs say that tobacco product makers must list additives however, unfortunately some of the additives aren't on the EU list of what needs to be disclosed. I did a really quick look and just blind shot at

Partagas cigars has asorbic acid added and

sodium carboxy methyl cellulose
Menge: 1,6 mg
Kategorie: Tabak (wird verbrannt)
Funktion: Klebemittel

Which is nothing but cellulose to stick the wrappers together and a tiny amount at that.

Montecristo cigars has nothing apart from sodium carboxy methyl cellulose

and

Patriot flake pipe tobacco (one my favourites)

Gewicht Produkteinheit: 1000 mg
Gewicht Tabakanteil: 952 mg

Propylene glycol
Menge: 30 mg
Kategorie: Tabak (wird verbrannt)(will be burnt)
Funktion: Feuchthaltemittel, Konservierungsstoff (Humectant, preservative)

Apfelsirup/Konzentrat Apple Concentrate
Menge: 10 mg
Funktion: Aroma/Geschmacksstoff// Flavouring

Gummi Arabicum
Menge: 6 mg

Kalium Sorbat
Menge: <0,5 mg

Solani Silver Flake A very high rating and lovely smoking tobacco.

Gewicht Produkteinheit: 1000 mg
Gewicht Tabakanteil: 1000 mg

Sugar (inverted)
Menge: 41,43842 mg
Funktion: Umhüllung// Casing

Propylene glycol
Menge: 40,70473 mg
Funktion: Feuchthaltemittel -- humectant

Gummi Arabicum
Menge: 7,45342 mg
Funktion: Bindemittel binding agent

Flavour
Menge: 6,57533 mg
Funktion: Aroma/Geschmacksstoff // Flavouring

So I will search further for more information but so far that's what I have.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I think there is decimal places out of wack with the Solani silver Flake numbers.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Peering through a haze...

I don't speak whatever language that's in, but I do know the word "Funktion" could be a great name for an acid jazz group, lol. I know this.

The cigar you listed - Montecristo - is a very good one, and based on a survey of one would indicate that cigars are pure compared to ciggie's but also Interestingly, the pipe tobaccos seem to have added spirits and flavors of various kinds. The spokeperson seems to be painting this in a positive light, ie without casings some tobaccos would not be pleasant, and further that the additions are done modestly.

I'd like to believe this. Still, it's hard to underestimate the power of profit whether it's making cheap rums or cheap tobaccos palatable. For rums that's a losing proposition for fine and pure aged rums. Whether it is for pipe tobaccos may be another matter for which I lack the experience or perspective to judge.

It may simply be a matter of unchanging tradition, or it may be a matter of increasing modern profits. I don't have a clue, but...

Ergo the question...

Hass has made clear that such flavoring - eg with honey and fruit flavors (particularly) apple have become commonplace with even quality tobaccos, but that unflavored (or a combination) are favored by the old timers.

d', might this also be true for pipe smokers? And if so, to what degree?
Hassouni
Minor God

Post by Hassouni »

Good to hear about Montecristo, what's the word on RyJ? I rarely smoke cigars, but when I do, it's those two (Havana, of course)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Just quickly Hassouni, I am not at home at moment but will pull the website up a d check out Romeo y Juliet when I am.

Jimbo in answer to your question it seems that the majority of pipe smokers are either under the impression that even lightly cased tobacco is 'pure' tobacco or know that 99% of all pipe tobacco has at least a sugar casing. Whether that casing is honey, molasses or sugar. I think that most would be surprised about the extent of the humectant use, as far as I can know the common thought is that only the cheap and nasty brands indulge in its heavy use. The site I am getting my additive info from is the eu health site. The eu make it mandatory for the companies to disclose their additives BUT as with most things eu they either execute a good thing badly or drop the ball a bit. In this case it's both as they have omitted some additives from the must be disclosed list and have left the door open for the tobacco companies to be honest in their disclosures. What we end up with is a better list than what the rest of tbe world has (good idea bit) but is somewhat vague (dropped ball bit). Now to the premise of pure unadulterated tobacco being prized, in fact pipe tobacco from pretty much word dot has been cased and also flavoured. Some of the most famous historic brands are flavoured tobacco ie Erinmore flake, Dunhill and Three Nuns. I will dedicate more time and effort into finding any brand that sells uncased unflavoured tobacco and also if the taste as good as their cased brethren.
in goes your eye out
sleepy
King of Koffee

Post by sleepy »

As a lifelong nicotine addict, I have attempted pipe smoking, but found that the ritual was satisfying, the flavor and pipe maintenance were never satisfying. I am disappointed to see that Dominican Montecristos are adulterated. I admit a preference for more robust Nicaraguan cigars when I can't get my favorite Cuban Bolivars.

Having suffered through several relatives and bosses who affected the style of the pipe and polluted the air with sweetened flavored crap, I get what you're reviewing, but have little hope.

Capn's Log: Correct me if I'm wrong da'Rum, but I believe the only "additive" refers to the cellulose used to affix the label to the Montecristo, ergo no real additives. Also I'm not sure this refers to the Dominican version or the Cuban stick.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ok firstly Jimbo is correct. You can enjoy your MC's guilt free. The only additive according to the EU site is cellulose to stick the outer leaf together.

As for the rest, if you don't like pipes and pipe tobacco then so be it but pipe maintenance is fairly low really and once one learns the art of pipe smoking and unlearns the art of cigarette smoking then the enjoyment is multiplied. If you don't like the taste of pipe tobacco though then try another brand and blend. For example my favourite cigars are 'my fathers le bijou petit robusto' I liked them because of their robust cocoa/leather/coffee notes. I find a very close match to this is Solani aged burley flake. It's not an exact match but is close-ish. However macbaren 7 seas tastes like vanilla and caramel and totally not my thing. If I thought that was indicative of all pipe tobacco I wouldn't be too keen to keep smokjng them either.

I like cigars and pipes sometimes the moment calls for a good cigar and sometimes for a pipe. All these points except the additive related one's will be covered in another thread.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Hassouni wrote:Good to hear about Montecristo, what's the word on RyJ? I rarely smoke cigars, but when I do, it's those two (Havana, of course)
RyJ Churchill looked at, only the cellulose listed as an additive.

http://service.ble.de/tabakerzeugnisse/ ... zaehler=48
in goes your eye out