Media: A How-To Primer on Pipe Smoking

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Media: A How-To Primer on Pipe Smoking

Post by da'rum »

A good series from this bloke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMdq096W ... verview-vl

Will save anyone interested in smoking a pipe the hassle of the internet bullshitters.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

This writer took Capn's Privilege...

And clarified da'Rum's title to this thread, as this thread proved surprisingly informative. His link above is to a series called "How to Smoke a Pipe", a 27-part series that covers everything from an introduction, how to buy a first pipe, various types of pipes, how to choose and use various tobaccos, pipe maintenance - you name it.

The title implied media PR when in fact this is a competent and complete how to that I personally found fascinating, especially having smoked a pipe in my youth. Even having smoked pipes for some years I can tell you I learned a few things.

Very nice. Definitely worth a click if you have any interest. Nice link d'...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Thanks Jimbo. Sometimes I can be vague. :)
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

In music some players can't resist...

Playing fast, playing hard, playing every note and then some. When I used to perform there were two kinds of players - the one's about whom you'd say "well, no note left unplayed there.." vs. those that were described as "pocket players". The difference:

The former is so busy, so caught up with him/herself that the music - and the group - suffers. Soloing is one thing, dominating is another. The pocket player is "in the pocket", exactly in the group flow, highlighting when necessary but completely into the group and its music. Some players are so good that I'd call them "invisible". This is a player that is SO into the pocket that you might not notice him/her but who in ways is indispensable, whose absence would be missed and who in very subtle ways may actually be driving the group.

So get back in the pocket, will you?

Sure (and btw I was known as pocket player, though now you'd never know it). Oops. This guy is actually quite amazing, with nearly 600 videos. Frankly, I don't have a clue how many are about pipe smoking, but I'd guess a hundred or more. It is clear that he is a true lover and believer in his art, and an art it is. For example, it takes him 34 episodes to just buy the pipe, some pipe cleaners, a tamper, and matches.

Takes him another 4 or 5 to prepare the tobacco. And gawd only knows how many to actually smoke your first bowl or two. By now you'd guess I don't like this guy. That'd be very wrong. He's excellent, and in truth what you have here could easily become a college level series on pipe smoking. He's that good.

The dilemma is this: on one hand some of us may not want to devote hours of video watching just to get started. On the other there really are a lot of considerations and noobie mistakes that might ruin the experience. Here's an approach that might work:

He divides his work into sections. The first (34 episodes) is how to choose a pipe. I'd surely watch the first few episodes to at least get the idea, then perhaps search the titles to find the episode you need. Like consulting an encyclopedia, eh? Eh. As for me, I find him wordy but entertaining and very informative. Heaven forbid, I'd never present it like that...

I'd take longer, lol...