Orlik Golden Flake

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Orlik Golden Flake

Post by da'rum »

A recommendation from a friend who knows I like a Virginia and Perique blend and also in flake form was to try Orlik Golden Flake.

A good blend with a wonderful tin aroma. A nicely done mix with just enough Perique not to overpower. A light and flavourful blend that deepens throughout the bowl. I drank a dram of Barbancourt 5 star with the first bowl and matched well a nice light grassy rum with a similar flake that has a hint of spice.

The second bowl a day later was with a dram of Highland Park 12. This was also good with the light sweetness of the HP combining well with the Virginia.

I think I preferred the Barbancourt but both are good choices. The Orlik Golden Slice however is a choice for VaPer flake lovers that definitely will not disappoint.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You've got my attention...

Sounds terrific. Unlike most cane juice rums Barbancourt has spent considerably more time in French oak to add much more complexity over the vegetal cane juice characteristics. I know it goes well with our preferred cigars (Hemingway Short Story) and others that feature the wonderful, leafy Camaroon wrappers.

In no small part due to your lovely and informative posts, we've ordered a few Missouri Meerschaums - one bent, two straight. Although most are sealed and finished these are unfinished and at least according to reviews an even better smoke than their finished bowls.

We'll see.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

They will smoke well. You can't attack them like a cigarette smoker hungrily looking for his nic hit, rather you must sip at them like the last dram of a bottle of a rare rum that you will likely never see again.

I will post a thread about packing and smoking technique soon, as these two factors above all are the difference between a cool, dry, minimum relight , fantastic experience and a hot, wet, gurgling, sour disappointing mess.
in goes your eye out