Meerschaum Dept: New, from Missouri... cob pipes

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Meerschaum Dept: New, from Missouri... cob pipes

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Now you've done it!

d..., your beautiful and engaging posts have resulted in this...

. . . . . . .Image

Yup, good old American made Missouri Meerschaums - authentic corn cob pipes made by the company of the same name since the 1800's...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Meerschaum
http://corncobpipe.com/

Right next to Sue Sea's new Jamaican themed ukulele. As silly as corncob pipes may sound, it seems that a lot of pipe smokers really like them, and they are an American classic. The company actually developed its own seed with the objective of growing larger and more consistent corn/cobs more suitable for their purpose. Although some of these cost up to $30 or so, we bought all three for about $12 plus shipping. The little guy is for Sue Sea. I have the other two to choose from depending on whether I'm in a straight-shaft militant or in a bent-shaft, thoughtful Holmesian mode, lol...

These are unfinished, ie the cob is not plastered, but left rough to the air and to touch. Cob smokers say this improves an already good smoke. I of course, don't have a clue. What will we try first?

It would be hard at this point - again thanks to da'Rum - to avoid trying a Navy flake of some kind made with molasses and/or rum. da'Rum?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Step two...

Sue Sea and I do love an occasional visit to nearby Greek restaurant - great food, inexpensive drinks, Greek owned and operated. We sit at the bar, as we enjoy meeting other people. On this particular night we saw a bearded fellow that looked like a biker, and asked him what he did for a living. "I work as on the emergency ambulance squad, but in most of my off time I repair and build custom pipes". Turns out his pipes sell for $300 to $900, and a local pipe store carried them.

His description of the exacting process (down to 1/1000 of an inch), the briar, wood selection and tools was fascinating. Accordingly we visited that store just to look at his work. Absolutely stunning, kind of a modern Danish looking style.

Long story short...

Sure. So today step two was to return to that store for some cotton pipe cleaners, a pipe tool and of course - tobacco. Having not heard from da'Rum, I asked the owner if he had any Navy rum type tobaccos that he liked. Not my taste he said but pointed out a can of Mac Baren Plumcake at - ouch - $16.95 for 3.5 ounces. I passed and asked his personal favorite from his collection of various blends displayed in large glass jars, appropriated labeled "Jim's #1". $4.50 an ounce.

With a name like "Jim's #1" this seemed an act of one of the Theoi Hallioi (Greek Sea Gods), no doubt Poseidon - sturdy, older, bearded warrior and seducer of women. A man I could respect. Natch, I bought it. "What's in it", I asked, knowing full well that da'Rum would require this info. He replied "I've actually forgotten, but it's real name is "1Q". Your'e friend should know what that is."

It was only later I discovered the components of the Plumcake I passed on...
"A mixture of fully ripe Virginia tobaccos, sliced, cask mellowed Burley tobaccos, dark, spicy Cavendish and a touch of Latakia. To give "Plumcake" an elegant aroma the blend has been flavoured with aged Jamaica Rum. "
Damn. Cask aged, with sweeter Virgina tobacco, cask aged and flavored with Jamaican rum - if only I had known. But how bout this "1-Q". Turns out this tobacco is made by a company named Lane and despite being one of world's best sellers is sold in a strikingly non-commercial ziplock bag and...
"...consists of a perfectly proportioned blend of Golden Cavendish complimented by a touch of fire-cured Cavendish. Mellow in body, but big on flavor, this smooth, aromatic tobacco delivers a rich, sweet, and smooth experience that's layered with notes of vanilla, oak, and fruit."
Now those are some descriptors that any rum or whisky drinker might like. After reading a few reviews, it seems like the 1-Q was the best choice as the Plumcake requires experience and careful, very slow smoking. Starting out with the Plumcake would be like offering a new rum drinker Pusser's or Sea Wynde. The 1-Q would be more like a Ron Matusalem - a rum that few wouldn't enjoy...

We'll see...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Hey Jimbo, nice pipes.

Firstly I would split and dedicate those pipes to tobacco types. Keep one for aromatics like Lane 1Q and the other for the finer and ultimately better tobacco's. The Lane 1 Q will 'ghost' your pipe leaving a residual flavour that takes a bit to get rid of.

Secondly, buy your tobacco online you'll get a cheaper deal. There are some great American online stores

4noggins

http://www.4noggins.com/mac-baren-plumcake-100-g.aspx

being one.

Plumcake is a superior tobacco to 1Q by a long shot and would be an excellent tobacco for you. Hunt around online for a better deal. That 100 grams would last you a very long time. As I assume you will not go overboard with your pipe smoking.

Another Tobacco that I couldn't recommend highly enough is

Mac Barens Navy Flake.

http://www.4noggins.com/mac-baren-navy-flake-100-g.aspx

This is a brilliant tobacco in the Navy (rum) genre and beats plumcake by a country mile. It is a flake so a bit trickier to prepare but just cube cut it or rub it out and you'll be fine. I implore you to give this one a whirl.

I would then also recommend a nice refined tobacco

One in this catergory would be Orlik Golden Sliced, it is navy roll style and an excellent smoke.

http://www.4noggins.com/orlik-golden-sliced-50-g.aspx

Or perhaps Patriot flake as this is one of my favourites.

http://www.4noggins.com/DAN-Tobacco-PAT ... -50-g.aspx
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

PS, stick your opened tobacco in a jar (ball jar/ mason jar) so the tobacco doesn't dry out. All my tobacco is in jars.
in goes your eye out