Very skillful! (a discussion of Meerschaum, Che Guevara)

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Dai
Minor God

Very skillful! (a discussion of Meerschaum, Che Guevara)

Post by Dai »

Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Great video Dai. He certainly is a skilled carver.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

After searching around a bit, I will also say GREAT FIND!!! Dai. I would hazard a layman's guess that to purchase one of his creations would be a good investment as these prices can only go in one direction. My wallet is starting to get twitchy. :shock:
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

An idiot's view...

I have little to offer here, but do recall the guy Sue Sea and I met at our Greek restaurant who was a repairer, designer and builder of pipes. Although he attends the shows, he is not famous and has mostly a local following. Even though, his pipes sell for $300 to $900. If I daresay if these meerschaums are what they appear to be - completely genuine material and carved, his prices seem too good to be true.

Yet it appears they are. But truly, I have no opinion, lol...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ah, here you have stumbled across the new pipe makers pricing problem Jimbo. With pipes, as with all things, a fool is quickly parted with his money. I don't know who you spoke to but there has been a flood of artisan briar pipe makers hitting the market in recent times. Although some of their creations are good they are overpriced for a functional pipe and they get their prices from collectors that haven't a problem with paying exorbitant prices.

Now lets talk about meerschaum. Meerschaum is a mineral mined in Turkey and to a lesser extent Africa (I think there are smaller deposits also in other lands but for us it's irrelevant). Turkey produces the lions share;
most of the meerschaum of commerce is obtained chiefly from the plain of Eskişehir in Turkey,
Wiki
One can expect to pay for a pipe carved by the artisans in Turkey from block Meerschaum between $100 and $250 USD. This is because, firstly, different materials used Meerschaum/Briar. Secondly the Turkish economy is in the toilet and thirdly the Turkish pipe carvers haven't got massive tickets on themselves like the pretentious arseholes from Western Europe and America. You could add a fourthly in there as well and say that Briar and Morte Oak along with other woods are the preferred materials for pipe makers and smokers now. With Meerschaum being less popular because of its availability and tendency to smash into a thousand pieces when dropped on the floor it seems to have , for the moment, fixed in price. When I buy my Meerschaum it will only be smoked at home and never taken with me on trips unless I can guarantee it's safety.

These are good prices no doubt but seeing the maker and materials I would hazard a guess that Dai has stumbled upon a good site that has prices that are slightly under what I have seen in the past. They seem to have a good Master pipe carver and obviously quite a few skilled lower carvers. I think I might buy a pipe from them soon.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Toward understanding the pricing...

Image,Image

Image.Image

Here's the rum, er rub: the highest priced (upper left), the lowest (upper right/lower left). As for Che? You have to write for a price, and I did. My question:
It seems that the smooth pipe must be the hardest to achieve. The smooth (UL) is around $260, the head and the golfball well under $100. I wonder why this is?

Late Breaking News! Just got an email back - the "Che" is $400 plus shipping.
Uisge
Cap'n

Post by Uisge »

Am I the only one to find the irony in the image of a murderous Communist being one of the most used for Capitalist gain?

Back to the original issue of the post, yes, the guy making the pipes is extremely skillful!
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Lol Uisge. Yes it is ironic.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Jimbo, did you ask your questions to them as well? I'd hazard a guess but a guess it would be.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Uisge wrote:Am I the only one to find the irony in the image of a murderous Communist being one of the most used for Capitalist gain?

Back to the original issue of the post, yes, the guy making the pipes is extremely skillful!
Irony indeed it seems if old Che could of licensed his image he would of been a very rich man indeed.

Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

http://www.esmeerschaum.com/european-me ... ipe-8.html

$75 for a decorative pipe (not a bad price compared to a savinelli).

http://www.esmeerschaum.com/european-me ... ipe-4.html

$90 for the smooth type

Some videos on smoking a meerschaum pipe.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... oking&sm=1

Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

And yet...

http://www.esmeerschaum.com/smooth-plai ... pipes.html

All these "smooth" pipes average $225 to $250. What gives? Is this purely marketing, or is there some other rationale in terms of skill involved?

Now as far as "Che" is concerned, if the 99% weren't interested, his imagery wouldn't have lasted much longer than the Hula Hoop. The mega-corporations would sell the life jackets on the Titanic, in the same way that moving production to China kills the jobs of the middle class needed to buy that merchandise, and repeat. A death spiral until we all are willing to work for $2/day and shop at the company store, er Walmart.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

The more I look into this guy the more I think he's above board. If I was cashed up at the moment I would probably buy a few pipes from him. As it is I'm going to limit myself to one.....or two ;)
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

All these "smooth" pipes average $225 to $250
Actually the average of all the smooth pipes in the category comes to $138 USD

I'm thinking (and guessing) that the differences in prices are because of size, shape, case, stem material and date of stock.

All these together.

Why smooth ones are cheaper than carved...??? I'll send an email.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

So I sent an email and received an answer in a couple of hours. This says something in itself I think.

I asked why the smooth pipes are sometimes more expensive than the carved and the answer was that it is a combination of factors starting at the stone. The block Meerschaum for a smooth finish is hard to find, also the design and the materials.

I think that demand has also a part to play as not everyone who wants to smoke a meerschaum wants elaborate art hanging from his lips. So a smooth conservative pipe would be often searched for.

Anyway short story long, finding the correct stone for a smooth finish, design and materials.
in goes your eye out