Basic Pipe question for a newbie: filters, Orlik Gold

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Dai
Minor God

Basic Pipe question for a newbie: filters, Orlik Gold

Post by Dai »

How many smokes do you get out of a medico filter for a cob pipe?
How many bowls of tobacco would you get out of a 10 gram sample?

OK guilty I'm thinking of trying it. I haven't made up my mind yet.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

A medico filter will last about one smoke maybe two before it is sour and disgusting. My advice, forget filters they are pointless and are more for psychological piece of mind. Pipe smoking is not healthy but unless you smoke 5 or more pipes a day your health risks are pretty low. Of course if you are one of those rare freaks that breathe the smoke into your lungs (don't do it) you will be doing serious damage.

As for 10 grams I can only roughly guess. From a 50 gram tin I get a lot of bowls I've never counted. I think you'll get about 3-6 bowls.

If you decide on a cob just remember that these pipes are very open draw so lightly puff don't do the cigarette smokers industrial vacuum suck. Also as soon as you taste burning wood, stop smoking as this is the cob stem that protrudes into the bowl. It's made of hard wood, you don't want to smoke that. :) I ran a bowl of Orlik golden sliced flake through my new corn cob last night I have to say the corn cobs are great value for money and deliver a very nice smoke.

Let us know how you go.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:A medico filter will last about one smoke maybe two before it is sour and disgusting. My advice, forget filters they are pointless and are more for psychological piece of mind. Pipe smoking is not healthy but unless you smoke 5 or more pipes a day your health risks are pretty low. Of course if you are one of those rare freaks that breathe the smoke into your lungs (don't do it) you will be doing serious damage.

As for 10 grams I can only roughly guess. From a 50 gram tin I get a lot of bowls I've never counted. I think you'll get about 3-6 bowls.

If you decide on a cob just remember that these pipes are very open draw so lightly puff don't do the cigarette smokers industrial vacuum suck. Also as soon as you taste burning wood, stop smoking as this is the cob stem that protrudes into the bowl. It's made of hard wood, you don't want to smoke that. :) I ran a bowl of Orlik golden sliced flake through my new corn cob last night I have to say the corn cobs are great value for money and deliver a very nice smoke.

Let us know how you go.
Cheers for the advice, and yes one of the samples (if I go ahead) is Orlick Golden Slice the other is Sutlif Buttered Rum (sold under the Century brand in the UK) both are suppose to be mild tasting tobacco's, the pipe will be a diplomat cob no point in throwing a lot of money at this just to try it out.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Go the Orlik it is a very high class tobacco that doesn't try to do too much and delivers a mild sweet smoke with a touch of spice that you'll pick up on the breathe out. It is one of my relatively new favourites that I will be keeping in my tobacco cupboard. Cob pipes are good pipes and perfect for trying out the past time. So good choice there.
in goes your eye out