My First Pipe (a Cob discussion)

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

As you said "horses for courses", lots of people use the filters in thier pipes. The ongoing discussion is, do they actually block any meaningful amount of nasties? And, Do they remove flavour from the smoke? My opinion is no and yes. I'm not smoking your pipe though. .......um awkward silence.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:I've heard good things about the Cc, let us know what you think. Remember to smoke slowly or you'll get tongue bite. :) You have a great selection of plug at that shop, I'm envious. Perhaps we could work something out? ;)
Would I recommend Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice yes even with my limited experience. Very smooth for a tobacco I enjoyed the bowl I had this afternoon I think I only needed one re-light (not bad Going) once I managed to get my pipe lit . It doesn't burn hot well not in this bowl anyway. If you're sitting on the fence over it try a sample like I have. I think it's worth a punt though.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Thanks Dai, if I come across it I will. I'm glad you enjoyed your smoke. Did you find the toppings easy to recognise?
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:As you said "horses for courses", lots of people use the filters in thier pipes. The ongoing discussion is, do they actually block any meaningful amount of nasties? And, Do they remove flavour from the smoke? My opinion is no and yes. I'm not smoking your pipe though. .......um awkward silence.
Nope think you'd better stick to smoking your own pipe lol.
I think it's how effective are filters they obviously work but how well is the question. This is down to interpretation type of filter used. A bit like rum neat or with ice. I'm such a novice to smoking I don't think it would make a difference either way I'm just trying to play it safe.

I'm getting better at it though. I think I wasn't packing my bowl tight enough and smoking my pipe to hot. I did the three step method to pack my bowl today worked really well smoked better than the others I've had but, still having difficulty lighting the pipe will have to buy a cheap pipe lighter I think.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

It takes a bit to get them going. It's normal. I light mine, puff it a bit and then it goes out. I tamp it flat and light again, this time normally getting the coal to cover the top of the bowl. I then puff a bit and touch it up with flame until it's really settled in and I'm set to go.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:Thanks Dai, if I come across it I will. I'm glad you enjoyed your smoke. Did you find the toppings easy to recognise?
Not a lot no tasted something but, then I'm such a novice at this smoking lark that I'm still getting used to the smoke never mind anything else. All I will say is it was very enjoyable.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Welcome to the pipe smokers club. You will notice your I.Q raising steadily from this point on and women will be throwing themselves at you with wanton lust.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Dai wrote:
da'rum wrote:Thanks Dai, if I come across it I will. I'm glad you enjoyed your smoke. Did you find the toppings easy to recognise?
Not a lot no, tasted something but, then I'm such a novice at this smoking lark that I'm still getting used to the smoke never mind anything else. All I will say is it was very enjoyable.

Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

https://flic.kr/p/mJnEU4

I bought this cheap lighter to make my life easier. Pipe lighters are worth getting, it's a lot easier to lite my pipe now.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

You toff! :lol:
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

da'rum wrote:You toff! :lol:
It's the only way to go.