Cob Stem Bending

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Dai
Minor God

Cob Stem Bending

Post by Dai »

The bend in the stem of my cob was a bit to much for comfort so I followed this video to lessen the bend so it was less of a bend and more a curve which fits my hand and much better. So I thought I'd share it with you guy's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzp1SbA9yrA
Last edited by Dai on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Cleverly simple...

Nice idea. The only issues I've had with mine is first that the bit is on the tight side (yes, I wait for the pipe to cool before removing it). the solution was simply twisting it in a folded piece of wetted wet sandpaper until it fit properly.

The second followed the removal of the filter, which as mentioned elsewhere leaves a sharp, 90-degree edge that at least for me, tended to catch the pipe cleaner (without the filter to guide it). Again, the solution was simple - found a small hand drill bit that was a bit larger than the final, smaller hole and gave it a few gentle twists by hand, thus causing a nice taper, followed by a larger drill bit twisted to extend the taper out to the larger diameter (where the filter used to fit).

Of course I stopped on the early side as its always possible to remove more material. BTW, Dai's link links to this fun cob site...

http://cobfoolery.blogspot.com/
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice one Dai!
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Great link Jimbo.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Getting bent...

Well, darn if Dai's link didn't work rather nicely. Filled a measuring cup with water, into the microwave for 1.5 minutes, holding the pipe and dipping the stem into the hot water for 15 seconds, bend slightly, and again until the desired bend was apparent.

I took note too of the fact that the pressure should be applied mostly to the outer sides (where the plastic is thicker) to avoid even a partical collapse of the inner smoke passage.

This worked just fine and was quite welcome as two of my natural finish cobs come only with those short straight stems which I really don't like. You will be glad to know the bending works on these straight shorter stems as well.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Capn Jimbo wrote:Getting bent...

Well, darn if Dai's link didn't work rather nicely. Filled a measuring cup with water, into the microwave for 1.5 minutes, holding the pipe and dipping the stem for 15 seconds, bend slightly, and again until the desired bend is apparent.

I took note too of the fact that the pressure should be applied mostly to the outer sides (where the plastic is thicker) to avoid even a partical collapse of the inner smoke passage.

This worked just fine and was quite weloome as two of my natural finish cobs come only with those short straight stems which I really don't like. You will be glad to know the bending workes on these straight shorter stems as well.
Glad it worked for you Jimbo.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition