Out of the depths of ignorance Dept: a Stanwell Bjarne

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Out of the depths of ignorance Dept: a Stanwell Bjarne

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Perhaps it was destiny...

If I thought the world of simplistic rogue rum had been a challenge, the world of pipes and pipe smoking is exponentially more confusing. Both have their share of charlatans (thank you JaRiMi), but I must say that pipery (no relation to potpourri) is MUCH more populated with true artistry with nearly unending variations, degrees of comfort and the like. There is real artistry and the many countries who have produced pipes for hundreds of years each have a defintie style.

For example, one blog post I read discussed the Italian style as compared to the English style - think Rolls Royce vs Ferrari in the 60's.

So now the Compleat Idiot buys a pipe...

As always, I remain committed to value and the notion that quality doesn't always have to be expensive. That notion was soon to be dashed, but not at first as I was smart enough to buy a MM corncob (and not some horrid drugstore or mass produced crappola), and was accordingly rewarded by these wonderfully smoking but very simple pipes. It seems most pipe smokers have a few of these, and some ONLY buy these due to their very low price (mine were under $5).

But artistry? Not really. The MM's are sort of the classic VW Beatle of pipes. To do better I found, you can't spend a little more (which is actually a BIG step downward in performance), but apparently one has to be willing to spend perhaps ten times as much (say $50). Even then what I found were utilitarian and workmanlike factory briar pipes that may smoke well, but there are no Ferrari's here! Maybe a Ford Fiesta, lol. And although one can get away with smoking a corncob - the anti-snob pipe - not so with a common factory pipe.

I quickly learned that to gain any semblance of style a number closer to $200 or even $300 is in order, and these are still not artisan handmades which can run upwards of $1000. To me this is like a $300 bottle of rum - Sue Sea wouldn't kill me, but she'd certainly raise her eyebrow and purse her lip with a little wag of her head in that way that only disapproving wives can do.

Devastating. I couldn't risk that.

So what to do? What to do?

I learned that estate (used) pipes can save you some pesos. I discovered some good web resources that clean, polish and examine these pipes closely, then list them for sale with some good pics, and honest descriptions (eg. "minor teeth marks and scratches on the bowl"). The Pipes and Cigars (link below) does a great and honest job of this. In fact just browsing their estate selection is an education in "pipery" (patent pending). Some of these were never actually smoked, or smoked very little. But the really good ones are still well over $150 and even much more.

Although I found a lovely English rustic estate pipe there for $50, but it had no real heritage, and remained simply interesting - like an Acura Integra 2-door, with a wind deflector and a little pinstriping. And how I do love Ferrari's...

A solution by accident...

It turns out that Pipes and Cigars is quite the resource, with all manner of packages, samplers and what amounts to Close Out sales of fine discountinued models. The pipe I found and fell in love with was one of these - made by a highly respected Danish producer, Stanwell of Denmark. This is an old company that teams up with famous artisans to create what might otherwise be in the $500+ handmade artisan range, then reproduces this piece of art in a highly skilled factory environment.

Another famous name is Bjarne Nielsen, anolher respected Dane known for very expensive pipes, but who died some years back. In commemoration Stanwell negotiated with his wife to reproduce Bjarne's own personal favorite pipe, ie the favored pipe of a highly respected pipemaker, executed by yet another respected Danish pipemaker. Aren't you intrigued? I sure was. Here it is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O453ryx8ou4
The video really shows this pipe beautifully and is a must see.

This Stanwell Bjarne B1 was originally sold for $200, and the remaining stock still sells for about $115 or so. But at P&C? Just $52! I was shocked, and quickly ordered this very limited closeout. As for color I chose the classic full brown smooth (bottom pic), which to me best emphasizes the grain, and allows light to reflect and highlight the subtle Danish influences and expressions of the old classic English billiard. Was this my Ferrari? Nope. But it was a Porche..

Now since P&C offers free shipping for $79 or more, I rounded out my order with some supplies, a good McClelland matured Virginia #27 (mild), and the new Missouri Meerschaum Patriot blend tobacco (which has some Latakia) and some classic Carter Hall (burley forward).

Now things should get interesting...

My thanks to da'Rum for his kind and knowledgable suggestions and for leading me into yet another addictive endeavor - and - to Dai, my companion in this exploration...

Links to Stanwell, Bjarne and Danish pipery:

http://pipedia.org/wiki/Stanwell
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Bjarne
http://www.scandpipes.com/info.asp?text=3

http://pipesandcigars.com/
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice choice, great price.

It should be a great smoker. Could you post the inner dimensions of the bowl. It looks like it has a middle to large capacity.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dimensions...

Wt.: 1.4 oz
Length: 4.9 in
Ht: 1.9 in

Bowl:
Dia.: 0.74 in
Depth: 1.5 in

What's your take on these?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

It looks to be a great pipe. Stanwells are truly good pipes. I've had my eye on buying a Stanwell for a while now. I've given them a good look over and fondle in the shops and have been more than impressed.

Originally made in Denmark but production moved to Spain due to costs. Only the most snobby of pipe eggsspurt will tell you that the latter pipes are slightly lesser quality than the former. It's bullshit Stanwell are just as good today as the always were.

Those dimensions mean you'll have a fairly long smoke ahead of you if you pack it full. Probably looking at 1.5 hours or so. If you have the time and like a long smoke then that's great. I do prefer to keep mine at about the hour mark just as a personal preference.

(edit- I just watched the Youtube vid and it doesn't seem as large as I thought maybe a bit over an hour for a full bowl)

(edit edit- Buy that pipe and buy it now. It looks a beauty!)

You have your cobs so you can always choose depending on your mood and wants anyway.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Darn you anyway, da'Rum!

It's all yer fault, ya slug. I was perfectly happy with rum, single malts and ukuleles, and a couple cobs. Then I noted both you and Dai salivating over various designs so what the fack I said. A couple of cobs and a couple tobaccos, no big deal right?

But then I rather liked the experience, the Navy Flake and the 1-Q (I know, I know) - and it brought back those golden olden, pre-cigar days of many years past. Yes, I did own a few modest briars, and yes a few cobs back then and rather enjoyed the protocol - the tobacco, the nosing (literally of both the tobacco and pipe, and rubbing my smooth briar to pick up a nose-oil shine), the packing, the lighting, the sipping, the smoke rings... and so it goes.

It all came back.

A sucker for design, tradition and history - and presented with a deal that even da'Rum couldn't resist, ordered the Stanwell above. In doing so I began to read about this illustrious company and its commitment to the best Danish designers and craftsmen who produces artisan designs for semi-mass, high quality production.

About design...

Turns out the Danish are quite the designers, so I started reading a bit of Pipaedia's wonderful links to the world history of designs. The stately and classic English designs. The racy and purely sexy designs of the Italians, which take the basic classics and turn them into works of art that are clearly well, Italian.

To each his own. Each center of pipemaking has it's own look and take and I guess each of us ultimately finds a style and look that speaks to you. For me it's the Danish, and the Stanwell above says it all. These wonderful designers are mindful of the English classics (the Stanwell reflects the English billiard shape), but re-shape them into forms that are fuller and rounder, with lower centers of gravity.

For example the Stanwell above becomes a forward leaning pear shape, with a more defined separation from the shank. The lines are exquisite - soft and flowing, almost like ocean swells. Think fluid. Special staining techniques were designed to emphasize the grain. Unlike some other countries manufacturing, the Danes don't mind buying more expensive briar. Their rationale?

The briar is the least expensive component, but a better briar ensures a more elegant, more enjoyable, more reliable and thus, more profitable pipe.

Danish design does it for me. Although the car is English, think the old Jaguar XKE, which wasn't really racy - but slide up to the curb in that baby, and be assured that you won't leave alone.

Enter the Netherlands...

While awaiting the Stanwell, I couldn't help but see another tremendous close-out. It was a Big Ben Pipo, made in the Netherlands. Originally $110, usual discount to $99 for - urp - just $36! The Netherlands are not nearly as well known as the Danes but hey, they're practically next door and surely must share similar anthropological roots and DNA, don't you think? Let's see...

. . . . . . .Image

I'd say so. Smooth, flowing lovely grain and sturdy - but not the least bit industrial. Flows right into your mouth. This is called a "nosewarmer" because it's really quite short, yet still holds a decent amount of tobacco in the bowl (0.7 x 1.0"). It is reputed to be a very nice smoker and has the added advantage of being a near perfect pocket pipe.

But da'Rum if you're reading this, that's it. I've got to draw a line and right now. I promise. This is IT! I'm done. Absolutely fini. Well, maybe...

A nice video showing this smashing little nosewarmer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3WRRgYwNPI
Dimension. Length - 3.7", Bowl Ht - 1.3", Inner diameter: 0.7", Depth: 1.0", Wt: 1.0 oz.
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Another pic...

...that illustrates the flowing lines of this lovely little nosewarmer:

The reflection of light on this glossy black Pipo reveals its flowing elegance and sweeping but functional form of the pipe itself (without the distraction of the grain). And here's another even more amazing artisan example of an artisan Danish nosewarmer:

(By Latvian-American artisan Maigurs Knets)

Simply breathtaking (in price as well), but not terribly practical and beyond both my budget my personal preferece of form and function.

The Nosewarmer Phenomenon
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills- ... menon.html
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ha! Absolutely last one eh?
Welcome down the rabbit hole.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice pipes. I'm still using the two cobs I bought. Feeling a bit jelous!!

Capn's Log: Don't be jealous, please. These two amazing pipes are still available and on close out where I got them:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/discount-pipes/
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition