The honest Falcon pipe.

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

The honest Falcon pipe.

Post by da'rum »

If I were to say to you 'how about a metal pipe?' and add 'it has a screw on briar wood bowl' would you be cynical? I was when it was suggested to me.

But!! A lot of experienced pipe smokers swear by them and slowly I was convinced. So due to it's relatively low cost and my curiosity I bought this about a month or two ago.

A Falcon 'Hunter' ( Hunter denoting it's black colour and lighter coloured bowl)

These pipes are brilliant smokers. They are also light and easy to clean.

The bowls are interchangeable with different sizes and shapes.
Most bowls being medium in capacity with some variants being for those who like a good long smoke.

If you get the 'gurgle' which is an unfortunate side effect of thermodynamics and heavy puffing that occurs with most pipes. You can simply unscrew the bowl wipe out any fluid build up and resume smoking away in dry delight.

A Falcon cost about $40 or cheaper if you find one on ebay and they are, now also by me, thoroughly recommended.

Cheers

A vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRUY-xAsnI
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/falcon-create ... -standard/
http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipes/falcon- ... htail-bit/

Not sure whether to go for it yet. If you want one though here they are.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Go for it Dai. They are great pipes.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A surprising history of the Falcon...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI6GnYaLtNg

Apparently Falcon also made a couple other lines called the Alco ("Falcon" without the "F" and "n"), one called the Brimford (or Brinford) and the Falcon International.

For those interested in Estate/used pipes, I've seen them sold on Ebay for anywhere from $10 to perhaps $25, mostly depending on who is bidding against you. I use a good free sniping program (Jbidwatcher), but unfortunately so do many others. Bid on a nice one that went into the final minute at $11 (bid $16), and another sniper still beat me in the last fraction of a second and won it for $16.50.

To me an estate pipe, if not really a collectible or artisan, isn't worth more than say 1/4 or 1/3 of retail which would mean about $16, unless it's very lightly used, then maybe the low $20's. But apparently the Falcon has become a "collectible" for the everyday, ordinary pipesmoker, so some of these pipes can bid up for really more than they are worth.

Such is life...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

You're right Jimbo, I've seen some idiotic bids on second hand Falcons on ebay. Considering they can be bought for $40 brand new and numbnuts pay above that in a bidding war on ebay. This happens a lot on all things even remotely sort after. Ebay is the living example of a fool and his money will be parted.

I wouldn't pay over 150 $ for any pipe, ever. Estate is just a flowery way of saying second hand. Pipe makers and good pipes aren't rare although there is a definite push to try and raise the median price of a standard briar pipe. By middlemen and by pipe makers who think using a lathe and a drill press is the epitome of skill. Don't get caught in the hype.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Success! A $12 Falcon...

Found a very clean and good looking straight stem used Falcon for $29.95 on Ebay (Buy it now option), which as discussed is rather ridiculous, esp. as shipping was additional. But this one had the "Make Offer" option. I've used this before but without success. Normally you make a low ball offer - which gives the seller a limited but mandatory time to respond - and the seller will either turn it down, or respond with a Counter Offer (which is usually still too much).

This time was different, and a lesson to us all...

Of course $29.95 + $6.00 shipping was WAY too high. I noted that this "Buy it Now" pipe had been listed for 30 days and was in it's last day. So I low-balled it at $12 (with the idea that just maybe he'd respond with $16, which I'd then accept). Surprise! He accepted the $12, meaning my cost delivered was $18, quite acceptable. Perhaps waiting until the last day of a long listing, which threatens relisting?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Good job. Pics?
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Nice one Jimbo. I'm still in two minds whether to go for the Falcon. I'm only smoking one bowl a day and my two cobs seem enough for that, So wondering whether it would make more sense to just buy another cob.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I don't know about da'Rum but...

...as for me, it's hard to beat a cob, period. Extremely low price, very authentic, and alleged by all to smoke very, very well. You seem to find a lot of posts wherein the smoker finds one briar or another doesn't smoke well for one reason or another, but I've yet to see anyone complaining about a cob, unless it happens to burn out.

Which means spending another $5 or $10 is in order. To me the value of a good briar (which are not cheap) is more in their beautiful designs, fine finishes and grains, their style and heritage. There are only so many General MacArthurs...

They are so inexpensive, that it's thinkable to buy one dedicated to each of your favorite tobaccos. Not that my opinion means much here, but I'm with you...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Cobs are fantastic without a doubt. More than one pipe regardless of which material is a luxury. BUT if I were forced to have just one pipe it would probably be the falcon. They smoke just as well as a cob, are sturdy, versatile and very light. They aren't the prettiest pipe but you'll always have a nice dry tasty smoke.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A great link... "Smoking Metal"

http://smokingmetal.co.uk/index.html

This site is run by a wildman who has collected hundreds of Falcon-like metal pipes. Well-organized and fascinating. Turns out the lowly Falcon really was an engineering marvel and sold well over 40 million pipes, more than any other pipe, period.

If you're really interested, a young lady had written the definitive history of her Grandfather and his Falcon:

http://www.amazon.com/Back-From-The-Ash ... 52-2399005
Just $2.99 on Kindle
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

For those who love their Falcons...

Yet another e-book and a good one, this time from the Grandaughter of the inventor and producer of the original Falcon pipe (link at end of post above). It is an amazing story of invention, promotion, international business, competition and quality. The Falcon is often presented as some kind of "gimmick"pipe which it is most definitely not.

For example, the aluminum was of extremely high quality aircraft aluminum, and required precision manufacture. Falcon sought top quality briar and rejected anything they considered sub-standard. For a lousy $2.99 from Kindle for a very long and extremely thorough book, with plenty of original documents, patent application, pictures, handwritten memos and the like, it is worth 10 times its cost, seriously.

I learned a couple interesting things. Falcon was first made in the United State, with later operations in Ireland and England. Another BIG controversy at the forums is the so-called "seal" on the bowl. Some owners insist they never had one, while others swear their indeed does have one. The truth:

Both are right. The early and top quality originals were made in the US in the early to late 1950's and yup, no seal. The originator/and inventor insisted no seals were needed as the bowls were machined to a tolerance of just 5/1000th's of an inch. Yet in less than a decade the Falcons made overseas modified the design to accomodate a very thin "seal". It may be the original design was better as there as the redesign for the seal actually had issues with sealing due to inconsistencies with the manufacture of the seal.

My biggest discovery, and a good one!

This is a dense book, but fortunately well organized enough to find things. It turns out that my $12 Falcon find on eBay was a good one. The very first - original Falcons were made in the mid-1950's, and carried the name "Falcon" only, on the bottom of the aluminum stem, near the bowl. These orginal Falcons also carred the number "1" stamped into the underside of the humidome (indicated the first moldings). Later Falcons carried higher numbers like "2" or "3" as the molds were replaced. Falcons made in England or Ireland had different markings.

Turns out mine seems to be an early first run Falcon - a #1, first mold - and with top quality briar (assuming the bowl is also original, which it appeared) and according to the granddaughter's e-book, likely made around 1955 or so. No seal, and an absolute collector's item (knowing this of course I will now never sell it). Gave it its refurbished, re-maiden voyaged smoke today with classic old Prince Albert and so far, the Falcon lives up to all the good things said about it.

And so it goes...

http://www.amazon.com/Back-From-The-Ash ... 52-2399005
Just $2.99 on Kindle