Rum and Pipes

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Dai
Minor God

Rum and Pipes

Post by Dai »

What rum goes with what tobacco in your opinion:

Last night I smoked some Squadron Leader with Appleton 12 and they went together quite well.

What are your experiences with pairing rum and to bacco?
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Agricole with Virginia

Peaty scotch with latakia

Aromatic or Burley with Jamaican

I think Agricole is a great all rounder as it gas that grassy note that compliments nearly all good tobacco and in the case of my favourite, Barbancourt, it is not too sweet. Sugar not only masks the flavour of rum but also what accompanies it.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Good stuff, thanks...

In the interest of learning something about the different tobaccos, I ordered small samples of representatives of blends featuring Virginia, burley, latakia, aromatic, cavendish or perique, plus a few other just for fun: the classic old American Prince Albert and Carter Hall, plus a new release by Missouri Meerschaum called American Patriot (which I bought despite, or maybe because of the NSA).

Anyway, I'd also ordered a couple of cobs to try these in, before I committed by new Stanwell and the Big Ben nosewarmer.

So I tried tried the MM blend...

...which is well reviewed and is said to have a "light Latakia" component. Apparently the experienced Latakia smokers said it was there, but was anything but Latakia forward. Indeed, these guys said it was discernable only intermittently.

Could have fooled moi! I take these experienced reviewers at their word, but this was like my first try at an Islay whisky. If this was a light Lat, god forbid I should have tried a Latakia forward blend. da'Rum is SO right that this component would go well with a strongly peated single malt, smoking aftertaste and all.

Actually, it wasn't bad. The MM Patriot is described as: English, containing Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, and Virginia. Even though I was struggling with keeping this freshly opened pouched blend lit, I did get a number of interesting elements, and as the godz are my witness, the smoky Latakia was surely one of them.

Nice call, d...
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

A nice light English/Oriental is Presbyterian Mixture. If you get a chance try it out.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Try the mm blend again in a week. Now you've opened it it'll smooth out a bit and change in that time.

Your benchmark English is Dunhill nightcap. It's a magnificent reference point for latakia blends. It will also give you an idea how lucky you are to have access to G.L Pease, H&H, McClellan et al. Also I've said it before but a non alcoholic accompaniment for latakia is lapsang suchong tea.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Right you are...

Actually, lapsang was one of my favorite teas for many years, and I know exactly what you mean. I liked lapsang a lot, as I do a good smoky Islay. I have a hunch the same will be true for these English blends, though I can certainly understand why many people would not.

A blend for the truly discerning, intelligent, witty and courageous, lol...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Not too long ago when I took up pipe smoking I asked for recommendations of what to kick off with. The list was Dunhill nightcap, Old Dublin, 7 seas, Elizabethan, Old dark fired and aged burley flake. I was impressed with the aro 7 seas and loved the aged burley. It took me a while to warm to the Elizabethan and struggled with the Latakia blends Old Dublin and Nightcap. I put both the latter in the cupboard and found myself overlooking them in favour of VA's and VAPERS. After a fair while I decided to give them another try. I appreciated them much more in fact liked them immensely. I have bought several different latakia blends since then and often smoke them.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Itried some Squadron Leader and Mount Gay XO last night and got to say the two went together quite nicely.

da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Check this out for a great example of tobacco and rum
http://www.gqtobaccos.com/gawith-hoggar ... 6apPL1BtAg
in goes your eye out