Crappy Estate Pipes: a turnoff? Or an opportunity?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It's like belly buttons...

There are "innies" and there are "outies".

What we think of the classic gourd Calabash is an "outie", using the insert you pictured (nice pic). The gourd is chamfered around the large opening, a strip of cork insultation is permanently glued in place. Then the "outie" meerschaum insert is a friction fit - it can be removed later (infrequently) to clean the interior of the gourd. The "outie" has that bulky white "lip" that fits over the top of the opening.

da'Rum's pic of an insert for an "outie":

. . . . . . .Image

Other makers prepare the opening in a similar fashion, but the meerschaum "innie" insert does not have a lip, and is glued in permanently. These "innie" Calabash pipes cannot be cleaned internally.

(Correction: later research, below - they CAN be cleaned, via the ferrule).

Both kinds are made, with the removable "outie" meerschaum insert being much more common and exhibiting the more classic and bulky Holmesian look. The permanent, lipless "innie" types are harder to find. These sometimes had a thin silver or metal lip to cover the top edge, or not. The internal models look and feel lighter and more graceful, while being equally classic and historic. They are rather rare it seems.

My Calabash is of the internal meerschaum bowl type. I rather like its graceful look. This one has a rather long stem as well (7" direct, 10" following the stem).

My "innie"...

. . . . . . .Image

. . . . . . .Image
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I think you'll find that is not correct. That is a normal calabash that has had the bowl removed. If it has a bowl inside then it is incorrectly retrospectively made and will end up tasting like old socks because of your inability to clean it. If it does have a inner bowl, remove it and insert the proper bowl pictured above. You will then have a calabash. There are no calabash innies. There are horn pipes that look similar but are machined differently and are made from briar.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d..., I've seen the horn type pipes, but indeed they were made both ways, although currently the "outie" style is almost completely dominant. Check this out...

. . . . . . .Image
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Jimbo, what am I looking at? I see normal calabash pipes in various states of repair. Some with metal bowls some without a bowl at all and some standard.

I hope I'm wrong and you enjoy your purchase. I won't add anymore without concrete and linkable proof.

Good luck
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Houston, we may have a problem here...

d..., thanks for the PM, much appreciated, although I would respectfully request that you drink a quart of cranberry juice before, uh, proceeding.

Two things, maybe three (you know me). First and most important is that you are absolutely right: the primary reason for the removeable ("outie") inserts is to allow cleaning of the goop that collects in the gourd. Thus, I think you are right on target in re cleaning, and the problems of my permantly affixed "innie". Ouch. Double ouch.

Next up, if you have a moment check the original listing by the Viking Club:
http://vikingclubpipes.bigcartel.com/ca ... eous-pipes

As you will see they have listed four Calabash, two classic removeable bowls, two with what they call "internal meerschaum bowls". Defects if any are noted. The Club itself is a real pipe club that apparently meets monthly, with a part of the sales benefiting the club, found positive remarks on the net, so I'm guessing they're straight up.

In their descriptions of the two internal bowls, they note that this style often comes with a metal cap (not bowl) or rim placed over the internal meerschaum bowl. If you look in the middle row of the group of pipes pictured in my last post above, you will see an internal just like the one I bought, and like the two at Viking Club - without any metal cap/rim. The point: it appears the internal bowls were indeed made. Those are not metal bowls, just caps, or decorative rims. But there is also the possibility that these metal caps were somehow attached to the internal bowls in a fashion such that the metal cap and bowl could be removed as a unit.

So many fackin questions, and yes, the pipe is still enroute, lol...

This of course, still doesn't address the continuing issue of cleaning the goard with these internal designs. My original research failed miserably when I read that cleaning is not an issue, particularly if the pipe is used lightly, and that even one manufacturer did not recommend removing the inserts. In a word, my research sucked.

Thanks - I think - to da'Rum for correctly raising the issue. Of course the stem and mortise are cleaned with each smoke, easily done. Further research indicates that the gourd itself should be cleaned - not nearly as often - but on a regular basis (eg every 15 or 20 smokes), a task made relatively easy (with care) by removing the "outie" insert. Apparently the cleaning is done with the usual alcohol, etc, taking care not to wet the cork rim.

So, still an issue.

So do I have (a) a return or (b) a lovely, non-smoking display?

Unfortunately, the pipe is enroute. So meanwhile, I dropped an email to ask the magic question - is that internal insert really permanent, or can it be removed? And if the former, is there a way to clean it? And last of course, is it returnable (although I rather like it anyway, if only for a neat display)?

Meanwhile, I did run across a video on cleaning a Calabash in which a classic bash was cleaned. Naturally he removed the meer bowl, then positioned the gourd like a "U", with both opening facing up, and the curve of gourd down (where the nasties are). He then poured in a dram or so of alcohol but only enough to perhaps cover the bottom 2/3 or 3/4 of the "U" (the idea is to keep the alcohol away from the cork lip and the ferrule area). After a bit of a soak, he poured it out via the ferrule, then used Q-tips, and PC's to swab out the crapola.

Then it occurred to me! Stand back, idiot at play... yes, yes, why couldn't I do the same thing, but instead inject the alcohol through the ferrule, such that the internal bowl would not be touched, but the nasty bend would? And then to drain and clean it via the ferrule opening? Perhaps even a shank brush? Hmmm...

I've also located a alleged Calabash expert over at Puff.com for more information. We'll see...

Flat Ass Bottom Line

1. Although I'm convinced these internal meer bowl Calabi were indeed made, per da'Rum one has to wonder how indeed they were cleaned? Is there a tricky way to remove the internal bowl? Are they cleaned via the small opening? Or were these "infernal bowls" (pun intended) simply less expensive, smoke em til they stink, then replace em pipes? Cobs for detectives, lol...

2. da'Rum remains the master of this section, and still for good reason. And I pray he likes cranberry juice.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

The plot thickens. WWHD?

What indeed would Holmes do? He'd order Watson to brew a double espresso and have at the net. I found this:

http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/GO ... HPAGE.html

A joint called "Best Meerschaums" - by a gentleman named "Baki", who is alleged to sell some of the best Bashes on the net. Think $500. This a fascinating page and through Baki we learn that "unlike the English", his metal caps are indeed affixed to the carved meer block for precisely the reason of cleaning.

He basically laughs at the silly English by implying that their metal caps were NOT attached, and therefore the "infernal meer" stayed put, and cleaning left up to the cleverness, or not, of the buyer.

So it goes...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Baki meers are the top of the line, extraordinarily overpriced but good pipes. He should know his gourds bowls.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

From the US Dept. of Agriculture, 1909...

Apparently gourd pipes - the Calabash as we know it - were once quite common. I found a copy of the an original old publication by the USDA in which they specify how gourd is to be grown, shaped and prepared for pipe making, as well as the steps for actually making the pipe.

This publication actually answers all our current questions.

Two ways to make a Calabash

The publication specifies two ways to make a Calabash. The properly shaped and dried gourd is first cut appropriately. In the first method, a hole is cut into the small end, what we'd call the stem. Into this hole is force threaded "...a crooked rubber mouth-piece with its ivory-threaded nipple". This "stem" is considered to be rather permanent, and not intended to be removed.

Now to the trumpet end. Likewise this is cut to be somewhat larger than the intended size of the "cheap" meerschaum bowl. A layer of wet plaster of Paris is smeared around the inside of the circumference; while still wet, the classic mushroom shaped meer bowl is inserted and twisted, and removed before the plaster completely sets. Then a thin layer of the plaster is scraped away, to be replaced by a thin layer of cork.

This is the classic "outie", Holmesian Calabash, with the removable bowl we think of. So far so good.

The second way

The Department then specifies a second method with one important difference: this time the small end/stem/neck is fitted with a metal ferrule and what they called a "push stem", a removable tapered stem of the sort we think of. Now here's where it gets interesting: now they advise permanent, non-removable bowl molded completely of plaster of Paris, thus reducing production costs.

The method is devilishly simple: a round disk of thin cardboard (with a small hole in the middle) is cut to fit the gourd at the level of the bottom of the intended bowl, and coated with about 1/4" of plaster. Then an appropriately sized greased glass (the size of the bowl) is inserted to form a core, and plaster applied to fill the gap between the glass and the gourd. When half set, the glass is removed, and the draught hole is pierced in the center, for a permanent plaster bowl. In other words, like the "inner meerschaum" described above (my Calabash). Apart from being cheaper, the Department describes this second method thusly:
"This style of bowl is permissible in a push -stem pipe, since the pipe can be readily cleaned from the stem end, thus obviating the necessity of a removable bowl. "

Flat Ass Bottom Line

1. It is clear that the Calabash was once an extremely popular pipe, no doubt for good reason (an unmatchedly dry, cool, extremely pleasant pipe)

2. Cleaning - now very clearly - is necessary. Kudos to da'Rum

3. There were two basic styles: one (the classic mushroom style) with a permanent stem, but removeable bowl and the other with a removeable "push-stem" but a permanent molded bowl.

4. Both were made to be cleaned, with the only difference being from which end (don't go there!).

5. From a practical standpoint this is done by pouring brandy, high proof rum or Everclear enough to slosh around the interior for about 5 minutes, and poured out via the ferrule (alcohol dries cork). The permanent bowls are less fussy, as there is no cork.

Thus the differences as I now see it, is one of style, with the classic Holmesian mushroom being seen as very large, visually very heavy/bulky and somewhat impractical, while the "internal meer" bowl, without decoration other than the gourd itself is visually light and airy, with a delicate and flowing grace (in the Zulu style).

Next... a discussion of gourd species (I'm kidding, I'm kidding)...

From Pipaedia:
"While some primitive societies have been content to stuff tobacco into bare gourds, our idea of a calabash includes the meerschaum bowl. This may be a sunken "cup" which doesn't obstruct the natural contours of the gourd. Or it may be a "top bowl" that caps the gourd with a mass of smooth, delicate meerschaum.

At the time I first read that passage, I had never seen the sunken cup variation described above. Every calabash I'd ever examined had a large convex or domed meerschaum cup that extended beyond the sides of the gourd. The effect is not unlike the cap of a mushroom. Some research was needed to uncover examples of the sunken cup variety. "
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Cala ... alabash%3F
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Final thoughts (really?):

Descriptors are important. It is now clear that there are clearly two styles of the Calabash, which I simplistically described as "innies" and "outies" insofar as the bowl. The Viking Club did notably better by calling my Calabash an "internal meerschaum" type. However, the definitive terminology may be by an article originally published in the North American Society of Pipe Collectors newsletter (NASPC):

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Cala ... alabash%3F

Those who are interested in this famous pipe will find this very interesting, but in sum the author names the two basic shapes/style/types of a Calabash:

1. "Top Bowl" - the removable, mushroom capped meer bowl style, common. Cleaning through the trumpet end.

2. "Sunken Cup" the non-removable sunken meer bowl ( my "innie") sometimes covered by a silver cap. Cleaning through the ferrule.

In the above linked article, the author proposes that the bowl provides the basic distinguishing features of the two styles. The Pipedia article also pictures multiple examples of the famous pipemakers copying one or the other of these two basic styles.

Carry on...

Link to 1909 USDA guide to Calabash pipemaking from gourd to pipe:
https://ia601607.us.archive.org/7/items ... 00unit.pdf
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Live and learn eh?
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

You bet. It was fun, and I'm relieved to finally learn it is cleanable. Stylewise, I really like it. And pricewise, well, no arguments there.

For the number of people that seek out and buy the Bash, and unlike briar/cobs, there is precious little information out there. Hard to find any cleaning info, lots of conflicting advice (eg you can/cannot expose the meer bowl to alcohol), etc.

An interesting point: although the "Sunken Cup" style was once the dominant style, it is no more - except, except - when it comes to name brand briars mostly copying its shape (link above).
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

You're not wrong. When I asked for advice on this subject I received very few responses.

The meers will break apart with too much moisture but I got a tip from a pipe repairer that I use and that is to wet a paper towl with denatured alcohol (denatured doesn't matter but the high % does) and lightly wipe any dirt from the outside. I use a damp cloth to occasionally wipe the inside out as well.

I'd be extra careful if it's pressed meer though.
in goes your eye out