Comparison of Components: Virginia tobaccos...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Comparison of Components: Virginia tobaccos...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ouch...

Note: This thread based on an agreement to test and review the main components of the nearly endless blends,
in a quest to better understand them.

When accumulating samples so as to better understand the components, I ended up with an ounce of McClelland No. 27 Matured Virginia which was one of the highest reviewed, highest rated Virginias (TobaccoReview.com). In general this component is described as sweet but tangy, sometimes haylike, but one that can be a tongue burner. One description was this:
"This pipe tobacco has a delicate fruit-like flavor which makes them subtlety sweet. They are rather tangy but are pleasant on the palate, reminiscent of a mild salsa. The best matured Virginia’s are naturally sweet and clean-smoking tobaccos that fill the mouth with flavor. You will notice a flavor curve that is zesty at light up and then turns richer as the tobacco is smoked. Virginia tobaccos are also important components of aromatic and flavored blends."
But Virginia apparently are more challenging. Preparation and drying are important and tongue burn seemed a real issue.

McClelland No. 27 Matured Virginia

Unlike the Burley component thread, this Virginia is pure, not modified with any other component or flavoring. For some reason a lot of the companies use the number "27" in naming their Virginias, anybody know why?

No. 27 is very well regarded, as it's tobaccos are matured/fermented. This leads to what many called a "catsup" (tangy) aroma. Although this tobacco itself is called naturally sweet (and added to blends for that reason). The "tangy" piece leads to Virginia's being called "bright". Reviewers also noted that it was VERY important to dry this tobacco, or face a common report of tongue burn. Prepare, you're fine; don't and you burn. Simple.

Oops...

As recommended I tried rubbing out a couple of No. 27's broken flakes but took a pass on drying it (save a few minutes in the pipe). For failure of drying it properly, the rub out wasn't really all that successful - I now had a bunch of long shreds, but not the shag cut these flakes are made of. Had I dried it properly I read, rubbing out, lighting and burning it would have been simple.

Fack it, I continued and packed the pipe in pseudo Navy Flake fashion, making a rough roll, stuffing and packing firmly. All wrong. Lighting was difficult, relights abounded and of course I experienced the dreaded tongue bite. This of course made a real evaluatation impossible, though I did experience some nice gentle and sweet notes here and there. The lesson here: moisture leads to steam and a harsh and nasty, tongue-burning smoke while with proper prep, it is widely regarded as a wonderful, gentle and sweet smoke.

Think Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.

Thus, this tasting was a bust. The absolute ease of packing and smoking one-light Burley had spoiled me. This Virginia requires more skill and attention, ergo I'll have to try again.

Who's next?

http://www.notsoboringlife.com/food-and ... e-tobacco/
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I'm still here and will reply to both this and the burley thread but haven't had 5 minutes to sit at the computer. Typing on the phone with my fat clumsy fingers is a bit too challenging for anything but a short paragraph.

My Virginia's will be 3p's, ilsteds own Virginia plug and maybe one other.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I'll do a double Virginia write up plus an extra after.

The double consists of Ilsted's own Virginia plug and Peterson's Perfect Plug (or 3p's).
I've chosen to review these together because they are almost identical in make up and production with one very important difference. The write ups;

Ilsteds own Virginia Plug
This mellow plug contains Virginia tobaccos from Africa, Brazil and India. This mixture is pressed, heated and then stored for 14 days before being cut. A slight hint of a fruity flavor is added.

3P's
This excellent plug tobacco comprises selected Virginia leaf from Africa and Brazil blended with Burley leaf from Malawi. The tobaccos are lightly cased before drying and pressing and then are heated and stored for 2 weeks before cutting.

So as you can see the difference is small but the results are big. Both plugs are excellent with IOVP being a lovely smoke of sweet virginias that burns slow and cool. It is a true Virginia despite the description of a fruit casing. That is there to just take the edges off. This smoke does not bite at all ever. It is sweet grasses and hay with a light citrus note. It is interesting from startto finish. Preparation is a matter of slicing flakes off with a sharp knife and cubing them or rubbing it out either or is fine. Itisbetter to let the flakes air a little but 15 mins should do. His is by far my favourite Virginia of which I'll keep buying until the cows come home.

3p's is also a brilliant plug and maybe preferred by Jimbo because the burley in it relly takes a step forward.The balance between the Burley and the Virginia is like a championship belt fight with each taking rounds as the bowl is smoked. Prep is the same as the IOVP and this also smokes slowand cool. Beware! This packs a nic punch. Smoke both these plugs in small bowls or half packed bowls.The burleyin the 3p's is quality stuff as is the top class Virginias. I sometimes blend this rubbed out with Orlik golden sliced just togive the Virginia a helping hand. This plug must be tried and is one thatI willkeep buying. However if I HAD to choose between IOVP and 3ps I'd choose the IOVP every time.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Bought some Solani silver flake the other day. This is Virginia with Kentucky. It is an extraordinary blend. Really amazing stuff. Sweet hay grass and walnut shells a pure tobacco that smokes slow and cool. It was touted as impossible to get to bite and I can now attest to that. I love this blend. A cigar in a pipe experience. Honeymoon phase rose glasses 5 bowl score 10/10. To be revised at a later date.
in goes your eye out