Comparison of Components: Cavendish

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Comparison of Components: Cavendish

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Cavendish: Sweet, mild, aromatic, pleasant...

Per a number of sources, Cavendish is method of curing and cutting most typically, mixtures of burley and Virginia, sometime Kentucky tobaccos. The Virgina is often cased with a bit of sugar or rum, and may then be fire cured and steamed. The tobaccos are then mixed and fermented to create additional sweetness. The tobacco is darker, and even black (which is the mildest). Flavorings are common.

I have but one right now: Lane's BCA, a black cavendish, that is said to flavored with vanilla and chocolate.

Lane's BCA:

A fire-cured black Cavendish, receiving the highest Tobacco Review's rating of 3.2 among all the Lanes. It is said to have subtle notes of chocolate and real rich vanilla (not artificial). It is said to be flavored with vanilla, and a liquor or whiskey. It seems rather moist, but burns very well.

For me this Cavendish was a welcomed break from tongue burning - extremely mild, flavorful, gentle, rich and pleasant. The flavors seem real, not chemically artificial. The smoke is rich, the burn is good, and even larger draws and smoke don't burn. The room note is brilliant. The notes are vanilla, caramel and chocolate sweetness but not overpowering or wet at all. More than one reviewer noted "toasted marshmellows" and that works for me. The tastes are clear but light and not the least overpowering. It is not a wet aroma bomb.

Many reviewers claim a mix of 1Q and BCA is better than either, with a few adding Prince Albert burley to add some burley nuttiness. Personally, a terrific and pleasant break, easy smoking, rich and relaxing alternative from more challenging tobaccos. It's nice to be able to enjoy a tobacco that burns, but doesn't burn, lol...

I have one more coming, called Sutliff Black Swan
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Slow your tempo and dry your tobacco more to combat tongue bite.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Cheap and not so cheap cavendish,

I bought some Mac Barens 7 seas royal blend about a year ago and just finished it last week. It is a nice sweet aromatic with vanilla and spice and all things nice. The cavendish is fine dark and sweet and does a good job of being a mule for the topping it carries. It burns ok can get a bit hot if attacked by hungry puffing. It doesn't leave gunk at the bottom of the bowl like some overly topped Aro's will. By gunk I mean residue from the sticky topping some manufacturers go over the top with, not wet tobacco which is a product of fast smoking and pipe engineering.

Secondly I helped my mother in law move some furniture and in a fit of generosity she gave me a $5 pouch of service station pipe tobacco. Danske Club Vanilla I think it is. I said thank you with a smile and thought to myself 'what the hell am I going to do with that?' So I shelved it. On a whim a couple of weeks ago I tried it, it is fine. As a cavendish aro with a light and not gunky vanilla topping it smokes just as well as the more expensive Mac Baren. They both need considerable drying time fresh out of pouch but that's normal of aro's as they tend to have a bit of humectant in them.

I haven'tv tried pure cavendish yet and probably won't unless I trip over it. But these two aro cavendish blends are a fine smoke when in the mood for a sweet dessert type smoke. There aren't many drinks that go with the really. Maybe a fruity wheat beer? Or a spiced rum? Who knows?
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I enjoyed a sample of Bob's Choclate Flake last week and you can taste the choclate in it. it's not a cavendish but it is a nice baccy.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition