Comparison of Components: Latakia

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Comparison of Components: Latakia

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Latakia: for lovers of Islay rums...

Now keep in mind that I am speaking as a relative noob, and any really intelligent commentary will be provided by the inimitable "da'Rum", my partner in purity (along with the rest of you). No doubt Hass may have a few words too.

Burley is noted for its nutty, warm and easy burning qualities. I for one, found it quite nice. The word I see most for Virginia is "tangy" and for whatever reason, this component is known for tongue burn.

Cavendish - whose dark color would have you think it is strong and powerful - is just the opposite. Apparently it's fire and steam curing and prep makes this an extremely mild and pleasant tobacco, to which all manner of casings and toppings are added for varying degrees of aromatics.

As for Latakia, this is the Islay of tobaccos, with clear notes of smoke. Pipaedia states there are actually two sources: Syria (very hard to find) and the more common Cyprian. The Cyprian is sun-cured (which darkens it), then dries it over smoky fires. The similarities to Islay peat is not unnoticed. Common adjectives include "pungent, earthy, slightly sharp, smoky aroma reminiscent of driftwood campfires". Again, I think Islay peat.

Let's face it: a campfire is an ancient tradition and there are few of us that have not enjoyed the peace and beauty of a nice wood fire, and even cooking on one. Still, it seems that like whisky, this smoky component is resisted by many. Noobs are encouraged to begin with gentle Cavendish blends, and perhaps that's not a bad idea.

Still such a start makes the changeover even more difficult. Thus there are a number of "crossover blends" which usually contain the other three components, but with a lesser amount of latakia. A latakia tease if you will.

My latakias...

1. Missouri Meeschaum American Patriot

This one is blended by "Russ" of Pipes & Cigars, a guy who is known for his blending expertise. His intention was just such a "crossover", and is described as "...a Latakia-based blend, enhanced by quality Virginia leaf, and the exotic influence of Turkish Smyrna, with just a touch of Burley for excellent burning characteristics. A light top note of Kentucky Bourbon".

At Tobacco Reviews this crossover is described as a lighter "American English", easy burning and with just enough latakia to let you know its there, but without overpowering. It's really quite unique as first expressed by the bag aroma, which is deep figgy and smoky. The latakia element is notable. The taste is definitely on the medium side, but easy smoking, complex and a nice change from the milder Cavendish aromatics of mine (BCA, 1Q). or the lighter burley/virginia blends (OTC Prince Albert and Carter Hall).

To me it seemed more "real", authentic and serious, but without seeming overly challenging. Reviewers report a nice balance among the components, with no one of them taking the lead. This of course is also the mark of a fine rum. I can vouch for this. Best yet, the MM line is extremely well priced.

2. H&H Marquis Magnum Opus

Yet another blend by Russ of P&C, this one gets rave reviews at TR, one of the very few 3.9's, and that's with 27 reviews, a good sample. Described by H&H as "...blend of Cyprian Latakia, excellent yellow Virginias from the U.S. and Bulgaria, Izmir, Basma and the “Queen of Tobaccos”, Yenidje. Then we add some Perique to give it more depth and smoothness".

You really have to read the reviews, which include "...what life used to be like in the twentieth century english pipe smoking world - and what we have lost". More than one reviewer call this a "Balkan" variation, wherein the Oriental/Turkish elements are in the lead. If bag aroma is any indication, I understand that as the MM (above) latakia is not so evident in the Opus; rather the Opus' aroma is sweeter with the latakia more distant. Still P&C lists the Opus as the "medium" example of latakia.

To be fair, although I did smoke some of this, I have actually forgotten my impression, so I'll have to try it again...

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/429 ... e-magnum-o

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/793 ... an-patriot
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

A couple of Balkan/Oriental/English blends I can recommend are:

Prebyterian Mixture
Squadron Leader
GQ Classic Balkan

The last one only avaiable for UK/EU consumption.

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobaccos ... ic-balkan/

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobaccos ... on-leader/

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/william-p-sol ... e-tobacco/
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition