Comparison/Books: toward understanding Orientals...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Comparison/Books: toward understanding Orientals...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I'm fascinated by the Orientals...

And this - along with Sherman's book - is the best coverage I've seen, by far:
http://www.howtogrowtobacco.com/forum/v ... =17&t=4067

McClelland also published a short but very informative summary:
http://www.pipeshowonline.net/McClellan ... s_More.php
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Have you smoked any orientals yet?

I can recommend Squadron Leader or Presbyterian, for da'rum

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobaccos ... ic-balkan/

Sorry jimbo he can't ship to the states.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I have these...

Magnum Opus by H&H: described as "...a blend of Cyprian Latakia, excellent yellow Virginias from the U.S. and Bulgaria, Izmir, Basma and the “Queen of Tobaccos”, Yenidje. Then we add some Perique to give it more depth and smoothness". I bought it as an example of latakia and English, which it really is.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/429 ... e-magnum-o

Missouri Meerschaum American Patriot, made by Russ of P&C and described as "Latakia-based blend, enhanced by quality Virginia leaf, and the exotic influence of Turkish Smyrna, with just a touch of Burley for excellent burning characteristics.". This is still a latakia but the Orientals are a bit more noticeable.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/793 ... an-patriot

Bread Loaf by 4Noggins and described as "...Oriental forward with a bit of Cigar Leaf, Virginia, and Burley. I received this as a free sample accompanying an order for supplies, with a little note to let the blender know what I thought of it. I liked it. As a noob, I find latakia seems to make itself center stage with its unique aroma and tastes. Without the latakia, this "Oriental-forward" allows the oriental to shine, balanced nicely by the cigar leaf component (I enjoy good cigars). Bottom line: I'd definitely recommend this to others. No burn, nice.
http://www.4noggins.com/4-noggins-Bulk-Bread-Loaf.aspx
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Dai and d...

You know how I roll, so natch, I dropped an email to P&C's Russ Ouellette, asking: "Based on my heritage, I have a great love for all things Greek - baklava, Greek coffee, wine, feta cheese, Kalamata olives and the like. Russ, from a traditional perspective, what would be the specific tobaccos and strains most smoked and enjoyed by Greek pipe smokers over the years?". Ouellette is one of those rare national commentators who facilitates contact by the hoi polloi, eg moi, and who thence responds personally and competently. His response...
"Capn Jimbo,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoy my writing. Let me see how I can help you.

This is an interesting subject as there's not a lot of information readily available, but I think that it's safe to assume that they would smoke the tobaccos native to Greece, which includes some of the finest Oriental strains grown. I think that one of the most prized varietals is one called Yenidje (Yenice). It is so well-loved that it's been called the "Queen of Tobaccos". It's a small-leaf variety, and is somewhat sweet and has an herbal or floral character. It's rather hard to find today, but I've been fortunate to get my hands on some, along with other Macedonian tobaccos, such as Basma and Drama.

These tobaccos are at the core of a number of my best-selling blends - WhiteKnight, Magnum Opus, BlackHouse, Fusilier's Ration, Sweet & Savory and Virginia Memory #10. The first four are all Latakia-based blends, so they'll have a rich, smoky fragrance, with incense-like notes. Sweet & Savory substitutes Perique for the Latakia, giving it a dark sweet note with some spice, and Virginia Memory #10 combines those tobaccos with Virginias and a touch of cigar leaf, which might be the closest to what would be commonly smoked in Greece.

I hope this was of some help to you.

Russ Ouellette, blender
PipesandCigars.com
1-610-297-9051 x254
Certified Retail Tobacconist #1875
http://www.talkingtobacco.com/ (P&C's blog)
russo@pipesandcigars.com (Ouellette's openly published email)
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Nice of him to direct you to some of his blends.

I like orientals and have a number of blends at home with orientals in the mix. They smoke well in my meerschaum.

I once asked Russ, after he wrote that additives are safe because a lot of them are used in food that we eat, if the chemical change that takes place when compounds are burnt was taken into consideration before declaring them safe. I got crickets.

Russ also says that tongue bite is caused by steam at which I accepted at first until after some thought, reading and small amount of experience pretty much lead me to the conclusion that that is also bollocks.

Off topic off topic.....
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Hah!

At least he writes back. Perhaps he'll let you establish a rum section at P&C, lol...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Oh he'll write back if he can smell a sale. Not so forthcoming on trickier topics though. He was silent on the additives question.

Why the hell would I want to talk rum at p&c? I know nothing about rum.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

My guess...

Is that burning anything is probably damaging, including toast or from the grill. Although no tobacco is really safe, it appears that pipe smoking is the least risky, or perhaps narghile where the tobacco is indirectly heated, very moist, and cooled.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I agree Jimbo. BUT for some or the same idiotic reasons those involved in the tobacco industry have a knee jerk reactions when it comes to health questions regarding their products. That knee jerk reaction is denial and aggression. G.L Pease double teaming with that pissy little sycophant from pm had the audacity to call the concerns of the members 'irrelevant'. Russ also is on dream pills if he thinks that the humectants, aromas, preservatives and sugar mix variants don't add to the unhealthy effects that smoking has.

It would be and have been far better for those in the tobacco industry to have adopted the fast foods approach to discussion of health effects and that was simply to acknowledge that their products are harmful to health but are not intended to be used all day every day. Lifestyle and moderation are key to enjoying lifes vices.

Instead they misinform, belittle and ignore. A shame really but the age of the expert is fading as more people learn to self educate rather than 'asking the professional'
Last edited by da'rum on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Absolutely!

Good stuff - you are so right. It's as though we are all children who must be stage managed and sheltered from that bad old world around us. To deny the obvious - that smoking or drinking spirits can be harmful - is simply ridiculous and to me that includes anything in the bottle or tin. Personally I think that the fackin additives are worse than the pure product. The burning and inhalation of anything - even your ex-wife - however enjoyable is hazardous to your health.

Hell, living longer is hazardous for that matter.

Catch Ralfy at 16:00:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw8584Tso8g

Ah yes, the human condition.
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Back on thread...

Finally got to examine the 4Noggins free sample, the "Oriental forward Bread Loaf". First I had Sue Sea, the Mistress of the Palate take a whiff: "...a little smoky, like a hickory fire, with some deep fig". I'd agree. I packed my cob on the loose side, and let it dry all night, using the DTG technique ("delayed tobacco gratification). I then really and truly concentrated on slowing down, relights be damned. As one piper said "... keep it barely smouldering, on the verge of going out, and don't worry about the relights".

There's a real tendency to try to keep the burn going, but not this time. So relight I did, and relight here and there with some occasional, very gentle tamping. Every so often, I'd take a just a bit stronger puff, when I felt like I wanted a bit more smoke, but unlike my norm, that was infrequent. And you know what?

The smoke was indeed more enjoyable, much less tongue bite, if any, and down to the bottom, but leaving the very last tobacco unburned. A good technique, and no doubt the cob helped.

As for aroma and taste, I really do like the oriental lightly spicy aromatics, plus an occasional whiff of the burley warm nuttiness. Not bad...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Great stuff. Respect on sipping with a cob as the draw on those things are so open it takes concentration not to overdraw.
in goes your eye out