Suck on this Dept: How to "really" sip

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Suck on this Dept: How to "really" sip

Post by Capn Jimbo »

To suck or not to suck, that is the question...

As I continue to suffer the pains of noobyness, I'm sure Dai and perhaps even our Master da'Rum would agree that tongue bite/burn is the one thing that many pipe smokers - some even experienced - do suffer. Less enjoyment, some are even driven away from the hobby, or go nuts trying to find biteless blends.

As da'Rum pointed out in another post, overdrawing is quite the problem, and especially so with a cob pipe. I'd never thought about it, but cobs have a more than easy draw - the draught hole is quite open and he's right - it is very easy to "overdraw", and - bite! Ouch.

He was not alone in that learning to "sip" - though frequently mentioned and advised - is really not that easy to achieve. We think we are "sipping", but we are not. There are a few confounding factors, of which one important one is the unconscious attempt or goal to minimize relighting. That's a natural tendency. There's another one two, and that's when we sense the light is fading, so we - again unconsciously - draw a little harder, or try a light tamp. Another is to quickly re-light, and perhaps too agressively. There's a tendency too to draw too often, too fast. All of these are bite-producing. There's the thought too that sipping is not that enjoyable, that you need more smoke to enjoy it.

All of these factors are carousing around your mind, and in the end - you are not really sipping.

Bottom line: true and effective sipping (which will minimize bite) is NOT that easy.

Now I'll only speak for moi, but somehow - and this after weeks of frustration - finally caught on. Yes, part of this is (modestly) drying tobacco. Another is to simply not worry at all - not a bit - about relights, period. The light is fading? A light tamp, maybe, but NO attempt - none - to keep it going. A simply "so what!" attitude.

This along with a clench, and "breathing" kind of approach, along with a few classic sips (bringing the stem to the mounth as if were indeed a straw), and no attempt to produce big puffs or clouds of smoke. Just patient little sips, no hurry, no concern for re-lights. One old timer put it nicely:

"Tobacco tastes bests if you can just let it smoulder, not burn".

An interesting thought. This all happened when at long last I once again packed my MM Pride cob with da'Rum's recommended MacB's Navy Flake - fold twice, roll lightly and pack. I'd quit this tobacco before for one reason - it bit me every time. But not this time, and by truly sipping - yes, with an infrequent "puff" - it was finally enjoyable and all the positives heaped upon it by d... made themselves known.

From Pipaedia...
"Dad’s Original Advice on Cobs

After 53 years, I still use my dad's way of doing things. I don't fool with a false/charring light, but simply light it and start smoking.

• Dry your tobacco more than you think you need to.
    Pack it looser than you think you need to.
    Smoke it slower than you think you need to.
    Tamp it less, and more lightly, than you think you need to. Clean your pipes after every smoke, using pipe spirits of some sort.
    Don’t worry if you have a few relights.
    And realize that becoming an accomplished pipe smoker will take time, patience, and trial and error.

To those, I’ll add a great tip I read on a forum several years ago, offered by DLT, or Nightcapper, dealing with the use of a tamper to help keep a pipe going. While I don’t tamp very often, I do place my tamper on top of the ash in my pipe bowl if the ember seems to be cooling. The weight of the metal tamper used while puffing will help revive a pipe that could be going out."
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Good post and quotes. I get bitten occasionally by unfriendly tobacco and my tendency to puff like a locomotive. I have read that last quote before and that is the best advice I've yet to hear regarding pipe smoking. Dry tobacco and clenching are tongue savers. Black coffee or herb tea are also great.

Now here's a tobacco that won't bite and is a brilliant blend. I am fairly new to this blend so don't want to jump the gun but after 10 bowls or so I think this is shaping up to be one of my all time favourites. Most importantly it will never bite.

Solani Silver Flake.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

You've posted that before dai. Bugger that. Smoking is to be enjoyed and allow the disengagement of thoughts from the every day. Spending too much time on that kind of bollocks goes against my modus operandi.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Ah so! The Zen piper smokes and meditates...

But he wasn't the first, and yes, you've seen this video before as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhP4DS2WURU

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is a cauldron of 1Q that they are smoking, lol. In all seriousness, that may just work. I was clenching whilst driving and couldn't quite do both - drive and smoke - quite efficiently. This would work...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Of my way is purely my own. You may of course smoke in any which fashion suits you best. It's not for me to lecture or judge. I like to sit and daydream when I smoke I am not a fan of lunting or driving and hate it when my attention is drawn to my smoking apparatus due to bad packing, puffing or engineering. So that statement above is purely my opinion for myself.

Grasshopper
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Speaking of pipes and biting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnXtuktNdlM

Does your pipe bite?
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Lol

Das ist nicht meiner Pfeife
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

The point is try breathing the smoke in instead of puffing. Stick the pipe i, breathe normally through nose and let your mouth slowly fill with smoke then exhale. You don't have to do it the full length of the smoke just, intermitantly and it should help with the tongue bite.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

It does work...

...tried it while driving yesterday, and this method does work. Thanks for the suggestion...