Review hymen in tatters: "Dan Tobacco"

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Review hymen in tatters: "Dan Tobacco"

Post by da'rum »

My first official.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9043#review67165

Heard good things about this plug and it is a good smoke.....However. ...., it seems rushed and definitely not as well made as ilsteds VA plug. This plug really needs longer in the press to marry the tobacco together and to create a proper plug, it is loose and very springy in comparison to 3p's and IOVP. I am guessing it spends a very short time under pressure and is merely quickly in and out of the press to create a plug form but not really a job well done. It also could benefit from less casing, it was sticky and wet out of the pouch and frankly unsmokable, I tried and failed. I then sliced small flakes off and waited 24 hours before they were ready to smoke.

This plug starts off unremarkable but the flavour, like the nicotine, builds quickly. It has some decent Virginia in it and a small spicy note on nasal exhale could be an indicator of Perique but could be a couple of other things as well, the whole profile is interesting without being too complex but the balance isn't quite spot on. This plug is good. I'd buy it again but I can't help notice the difference in quality in not only the Virginia but also the care taken in the production in comparison to IoVP. Kohlhase und Kopp have said that IoVP won't be made anymore due to poor sales so I'm wondering how this lesser and seemingly rushed product commissioned by DTM will survive. I'd choose IoVP over salty dogs any day of the week.

As I said, a good tasty tobacco but unfortunately could be a lot better if they didn't cut corners. 82/100

Pipe Used: Pot meer, Falcon, Design Berlin
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Nice aroma, eh?

...but I smell a rat! Of course I had to see your review in situ and lurched off to the website, and - I have no shame - found your review "helpful", which was actually quite honest. There are only three reviews, and the one that got the most "votes" was in my opinion, was the shortest, not even remotely informative and yes, by another "first poster" and speaking of plugs...

Either the voters - who have to be "members" and I assume more knowledgable - aren't all that critical, or is the fix in?
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

In short, yes. It is more an overenthusiastic support of the local mob. The Germans are happy to have a plug come out of DTM even if it is actually made by the giant kohlhase und kopp. DTM has a loyal customer base abd are in fact mostly an honest business. I feel this plug could taste like diesel and still get 4 stars. The funny thing is IoVP has been discontinued for lack of sales and other plugs and ropes from the UK have been hitting a wall getting the tax clearance to be sold in Germany. That wall is rumoured to have been built and supported by a giant local firm. .. wink wink. Now this plug which is a nice smoke but not near the quality of IoVP or the UK products (Gawith Hoggarth) has been rushed to market. I suspect that the wall will come down as German walls tend to do and someone wanted a good headstart before it does.

I haven't any proof whatsoever and this is all my wild and unfounded opinion so grains of salt are recommended.
in goes your eye out