Stress Management Dept: Can relaxation smell nice?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Stress Management Dept: Can relaxation smell nice?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

"Are you baking a Key Lime pie?"

Yup, those were the exact words I heard from Sue Sea this morning, when she awoke. The fact I do make an authentic Key Lime pie, using authentic and actual key lime juice squeezed in Key West by "Nelly and Joe". I've even been to the "factory".

But not today! Nope, to the contrary I'd done nothing other than brewing our morning coffee, as I do everyday. But what I HAD done was - feeling stressed - loading my cob with 1/3 of a flake of Mac Baren's Navy Flake, just enough for a relatively short smoke. This has been jar stored for some months. I folded it in half and modestly stuffed it, tamped it just a tad, a nice light, quick tap with the tamper, and a lovely burn. By now I've gotten my "just barely keep it burning" sipping down pat and no t-burn at all. All told, a VERY nice smoke. I was actually quite careful, and kept the smoke in my office, but did venture out into the kitchen a few times.

No, I'm not, I said, what made you think I was baking? Sue Sea - who has an incredible palate memory, said it just smelled like a creamy vanilla, and the aroma of a baked graham cracker crust. How about that! Cigars never get that reaction, especially afterwards, but obviously the Navy Flake was a crowd pleaser, if the crowd is Sue Sea. Sure surprised me, and nice to know.

da'Rum? Dai? What kind of reaction do you get?
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Don't smoke the pipe when the wife is around she'll only spoil it.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

From the wife..... 'you stink'

However sometimes I'll go to one of the many cafes here in Flensburg and enjoy a beer or a coffee whilst watching the Danish shopping tourists walk by.

Quite often I'll be spoken to by a neighbouring table or passer by remarking on the pleasant aroma they perceive from the pipe or the memories it conjours up for them, a father or grandfather that in their youth also smoked a pipe.

I try not to smoke latakia blends out or near others as these are only fondly remarked upon by arsonists and woodsmen.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Only being truthfull. You haven't met the wife.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition