Two classics: Johnny Walker Red with Prince Albert

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Two classics: Johnny Walker Red with Prince Albert

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A good combination is worth more than the sum of its parts...

And so it is for this combination. To me, Johnny Walker Red Label may not be the Black Label, but to me is very much underated. This of course is a product of premium-priced prejudice. The same can be said of Prince Albert and their now famous red can, a classic old-timers burley forward, nutty tobacco.

Some pipers reject these old-timers smokes, but at their own loss. Tobaccos like PA or say Carter Hall were the choice of untold hundreds of thousands of our forefathers, for many decades. There's a reason: they are solid, predictable and very pleasant tobaccos, as is JW Red among blended whiskys.

Having a bit of a stressful morning, what I needed was this nice relaxing combination that was no doubt enjoyed by our fathers. And so it was... the nutty, good burning and Price Albert Red Can was a perfect match for the slightly smoky and well blended and classic Red Label.

. . . . . . .Image

Beautiful. I tied them together with my new Big Ben stubby - only 3" long - (which still needed a bit of breaking in) for its smaller bowl and shorter smoke. Prince Albert - over a hundred years old - is known for it easy lighting, easy burning and pleasant burley taste. I've found JW's Red Label to be equally well integrated and pleasant. All together, they just work and work well.

My goal of stress relief was well served, as this combination is fail safe. I should add that my new packing method and focus on sipping carefully brings it all together with its Zenlike focus - slow, calming, bite free and facilitating the merging of the entire experience.

Lovely. Our fathers and grandfathers had it right...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Sounds like a quiet hour of bliss there Jimbo.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Johnny Walker = Diageo.

I haven't tried the tobacco, sounds like you're enjoying it though.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Post by Capn Jimbo »

I have to back up da'rum (and most of us) on this...

Despite their long history, great success and fame Johnny Walker has indeed been captured by Diageo. And yes, we are certainly at the point where things are now so very bad, so near the end of independence, that like it or not we must do everything we can to speak with our cash and direct it toward the few remaining independent distilleries.

This Red Label was purchased many years ago for review purposes, and I'm too much a cheapskate to toss it away. Still, an independent ought to be suggested, and correct me if I'm wrong but a good blend might be...

Grant's Family Reserve, an NAS blend that to the best of my knowledge remains independent, and competes well against Diageo's Red Label.