Sutliff's Aromatic English: a bisexual tobacco?

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Sutliff's Aromatic English: a bisexual tobacco?

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Sutliff's Aromatic English? Or not?

I recently came across what I believe is Sutliff's "504 Aromatic English". At least I think I did. My local tobacconist (Bayview, Ft Lauderdale, free plug) is run by a nice guy named "Jim" - good enough for me, lol. Like all tobacconists, he has a gaggle of big jars filled with bulk tobaccos renamed as the owner wishes. For example 1-Q became "Jim's #1".

He encourages pipers to bring their pipe and have a freebie before buying. Now he does carry tins, and had an open one - Dunhill 965 - which I was there to test. I'm glad I did, because on this particular day it wasn't working for me - Jim's free test bowl offer saved me $12.95. Looking around for something else I spotted one of his bulk jars ($4/oz) marked "Aromatic English".

In comparison, it was lovely. I immediately liked it. Light Latakia was evident, but balanced by a light aromatic Cavendish (some vanilla), intersperced with nice Burly nutty notes. Now if you prefer Latakia-forward blends, this is NOT your smoke. But if you liked a smooth and balanced complexity, it's worth consideration.

Here's your problem...

It's one of Jim's house bulks. Yet I know that Jim also does a lot business with the Scandinavian group (1-Q, as do most tobacconists), and tins from Peterson, a bit of Mac Baren and - yup - Sutliff. A search at tobaccoreviews.com narrowed down the supplier to this "Aromatic English" being bulked Sutliff "504 Aromatic English".

Here's why. The name is obviously similar. According to TR, the blend is "Burley, Cavendish, Latakia". This combination certainly correlates with my test experience. Even the reviews resembled my own.

I believe this is Sutliff. Still I know Jim well, and he is not averse to identifying the source - I simply forgot to ask. But I will...
Last edited by Capn Jimbo on Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

There's a million and one house and commercial blends of that type. I would not even bother trying to match it. It is good to hear that you have found a local tobacconist that has at least one house brand that you like. That makes for convenience and also community support. A good sit and chinwag with a local piper is something I envy.
in goes your eye out
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

I'll add that I normally don't try the house blends as I know that here in Germany the tobacco that goes into the blend plus the blending is more than likely from and done one of two big players. Kohlhase & Kopp or STG. They own pretty much 90% of all available brands in Europe, notable exceptions Mac Baren, Gawith and Hoggarth and DTM.

G&H is only available by ordering through the UK which makes buying their array of top quality plugs and ropes cost prohibitive. American brands are also blocked here, as for some strange reason (wink wink nudge nudge) the Americans can't get tax clearance to sell their product here in the land of pork and beer.

But I digress, my point is that I shy away from the house brands as I regard them as mostly inferior tobacco made cheaper so a tobacconist here has something to offer.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Talked to my tobacconist, a very straight shooter...

When I stopped by today to show him my "innie" Calabash (which fascinated him no end), I also asked him who made his house jar full of "Aromatic English". I'd guessed it was the Sutliff "504 Aromatic English" and guess what?

It was. He even rummaged through his storage closet and pulled out the bag. 504 it was, rated 3.5 at tobaccoreviews...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Bingo!... good going.

Now that doesn't sit right with me. Why have a house blend if it's just another brand dumped into a jar? A house blend, at the very least, must be selected tobacco or tobaccos blended by the tobacconist. Even better if the tobacco has been selected from source to shop wihout a major processor in between. This shows the skill and taste of the tobacconist. What does re-selling Sutliff do? Except give the impression of an artisan tobacconist.

Bah humbug.
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A great question...

...and I agree. That's his job. It would sure as hell be mine if I owned a shop. I'd want to give em something special and different. My good man "Jim the tobacconist" though is a special case. He's a lovely man with an nice shop. A row of deep plush leather chairs facing a big screen (usually sports), generally occupied by his faithful customers who are smoking some expensive cigars. Apparently he has quite a following.

"Jim" is semi-retired but loves his shop, and loves his cigars more than his pipes and pipe tobacco that he also carries. When I asked him to nose my "Aromatic English" to compare to his bag of Sutliff, the truth came out. Sadly.

Turns out he admitted that he's finally lost most of his sense of smell and taste. He'd been quite the pipe smoker, but now it takes the power of a full-bodied cigar for him to enjoy the experience. For example he knew your My Father quite well.

As for pipe tobaccos he states that he depends on his good customers recommendations. So when he sold "Aromatic English", he kept that part of the name, and at nice bulk prices. A very nice man...
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Out of curiosity, what were his thoughts on the my fathers?
in goes your eye out
Capn Jimbo

Post by Capn Jimbo »

d....

...after you'd recommended them to me, I'd bought two (one is still in the humdee), and as you know Sue Sea and I really loved it. So natch, when I'd stopped to buy some pipe tobacco, I felt obligated to spread the word and suggested that your My Father would be an excellent addition.

His reply, in so many words "A great cigar! I really liked it, let me show you...", and immediately walked me over to his special case where he keeps the really good ones, and pulled out a couple to sell me.
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Ah my thoughts on My Fathers are starting to get validated LOL. :lol:
in goes your eye out