Sutliff's 504 Aromatic English

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

Sutliff's 504 Aromatic English

Post by Capn Jimbo »

A kinda sorta review...

Blend Type: Aromatic
Contents: Burley, Cavendish, Latakia
Flavoring: Alcohol / Liquor
Cut: Ribbon

Posted by Moi at tobaccoreviews.com:
"Like so many of us, I am one of those pipe smokers that has varying tastes. One day it might be a nutty burley, or a burley/brignt, a nice aromatic, and an English latakia forward blend. Depend on the day and mood. Quite by accident my friendly tobacconist offered me a taste of this one. I had my doubt whether this combination of burley, cavendish and light latakia was a bit of a mongrel, neither fish, nor fowl.

My first puff, and I was shocked.

Yes it had a lovely light vanilla tone, but then again the latakia was there too - just enought - while my very favorite burley nuttiness came through in intermittent wisps. Now at least one other reviewer felt these different elemets cancellled one another out. For him I'm sure this was a personal reaction - he wants a blend to have a more singular character.

I don't.

As a spirits reviewer, I can tell you that younger spirits do in fact have that singular element, but the reward of aging begins to bring the elements together in what can only be described as a balanced and intergrated harmony, complex enought that no one element dominates, but is clearly there. That is a mark of a great spirit and in this case applies to this lovely blend.

Yes, the elements are there. Yes, they do at times coalesce, but still allow each component to sneak out here to make themselves evident. Oh - nice aromatics! And then alongs comes a bit of nuttiness, then some smoke. Such a presentation is interesting and infatuating. Lovely and rewarding, easily a daily smoker that won't bore, but won't overwhelm, that will keep you interested and pleased.

Pipe Used: Savinelli full bent military, Peterson style; cob

Age When Smoked: unknown, months at least

Purchased From: Local tobacconist"
In sum more less aromatic than Lane's HGL, but more aromatic than Sutliff's "R-Blend". A progression I highly recommend.