A burley and booze experiment...

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
Capn Jimbo
Rum Evangelisti and Compleat Idiot

A burley and booze experiment...

Post by Capn Jimbo »

Every once in a great while...

Some piping and booze go together. A good spirits sometimes begs a cigar or pipe, which begs, and yet again...

The booze: Appleton 12, MGXO, Redemption Rye in that order: with the idea - I wanted to reacquaint myself with my OTC collection of burley roasted nuttiness, that simply has to be part of anything blend I like. In order:
  • Granger
    Prince Albert
    Sir Walter Raleigh
    J4 Mild Burley
    Carter Hall - just enough tweaking to make the experience pleasant
    Half and Half - compare to CH, but not as good

...and ended with: da'rums MacBarens's Navy Flake - terrific. Honest.

The results (ncluding the task of typing):
  • Granger: real burley
    PA: not far behind
    SWR: burley with the barest hint of chocolate, exquisite, and yes - burley!
    J4: a nicely lightly aromatic burley, lovely.
    Carter Hall: there's a reason this is so well regarded, compare to J4 and SWR with a bit of added Virginia.
    Half and Half: well named, it's half burley, half bright, nice, but CH is better.
Da'rum's McB Navy Flake: you won't really appreciate this until or unless you arre willing to dedicate an afternoon of dedication to dramming and smoking. In the end though, a wee bit too much of both. The pipe used: Savinelli 3/4 bent Peterson 3/4 bent - my absolute fave. An Eaton cob with smaller bowl, in a vain attempt to keep things modest (failed), and last, for the Flake - my Big Ben Nosewarmer.

Now if you even have an afternoon dedicated to alcohol and good toabacco, a comparative study is revealing. Some blends you forget, some you remember as good or bad, and in comparison they may be the opposite... It's the equivalent of a multi-dramming, multi-smoking experiment worth doing. Not an everyday experiment, not even a frequent one, but it was surely worthwhile at the time. The next day is yet another matter, lol. It was great fun... time for a couple aspirin, fluids, and a wonderful cooked meal from deal Sue Sea, who truly loves the old man...

A couple other notes:

1. I'd forgotten how terrific Appleton 12 is - aromatic, balance, lovely.

2. MGXO remains fackin awesome

3. Redemption Rye - 46% yet - turned out to be yet another Potemkin, MGD 95% rye mash.

4. Obviously none of the tobaccos had the chance to dry, so I went through multiple boxes of wooden matches. I learned that relights is no big deal, no worries. It's the tobacco and taste that counts, not the wooden sticks. Last, I simply love folding and smoking Navy Flake, don't pack too tight, it will expand.

5. Oops, also tested HGL (a bit too aromatic but an intro to a touch of la), 504 Aromatic English (perfect!!) , R-Blend (Einstein's thinking blend), Russ O's Magnum Opus and MM Patriot (both real English), with the Opus better conceived and more complex.

More later. Much later... and if you are somehow driven to try this, DO try it at home, lol. As for me, never again!
da'rum
Minor God

Post by da'rum »

Taking one for the team. The hangover associated with too many drinks and pipes is not to be envied. Good mad scientisting Jimbo.
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

Sounds like a good afternoon. Booze and baccy overdose with all the suffering to go along with it.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition