Erinmore Flake

Pipes on the ships of old were nothing new. Tobacco and rum made their appearance in short order with tobacco inherited from American Indians and rum from the Caribbean. Smoking aboard ship was allowed by limited to a safe area and at safe times, ergo the "smoking lamp". Where? Usually near the Galley, as it is here. A huge thanks to the amazing da'rum - a man of high ideals and many talents. This is just one of them.
da'rum
Minor God

Erinmore Flake

Post by da'rum »

A love hate tobacco and pretty much the only real Aromatic in my closet.

I like Erinmore flake it has a wonderful tin note, smokes well and tastes like deep leathery tobacco with a tropical fruit back note.

I don't normally do tin note descriptors but I should so no better place to start than right here.
On opening of the tin I see a very dark tobacco with the usual creamy flecks throughout.
The aroma is wonderful, a rich tobacco aroma which underlies the sweet tropical fruit/citrus smelling topping. Very enticing.

It is a Virginia Burley blend with a citrus topping/casing.
It requires some drying out of the tin in fact quite a bit of drying so plan half a day before you want to smoke it.

I find the best way to prepare it is cube cut the flake and loosely fill the pipe with a light push down once filled.

Tobacco reviews gives this 2.8/4 from 266 reviews. This shows with this number of reviewers that it is not loved nor hated in general.

This blend splits itself in two with the Virginia and Burley mainly showing themselves on the taste buds with the topping and again the Virginia making themselves known on the nasal exhale. The Virginia is good and like a reviewer on TR said 'tingles the nose like Perique' (paraphrasing).

The taste in the mouth is nutty Burley sweetened by Virginia very satisfying and not overly complex, when exhaled through the nose tropical fruit with a tingle. I pick Dragonfruit and Kiwi on exhale although I do not have much faith in my own flavour descriptors, it is tropical fruits nonetheless.

A recommended blend from a brand that has been around since Jesus played fullback for Nazareth.

Cheers
in goes your eye out
Dai
Minor God

Post by Dai »

I'm going to buy a sample of this next week. I'll let you know how I get on. I found Erinmore Mixture to be ok.
Life is under no obligation to give us what we expect!

My Link to Save Caribbean Rum Petition